Long Umpire, for all your flying boat needs

From the whimsy department, presenting Long Umpire, the flying boat. It won't go to orbit, but then why would you want to go to orbit with a boat? It's fun to fly, is fully amphibious, ditches and takes off water easily, and has a handy ladder in case the pilot wants to take a dip and get back on-board, and a cargo bay with a ramp in case she wants to pack a lunch, or a rover, or something else that can be rolled on, or off. Passenger variants with Mk 3 passenger modules are also feasible, I tried.

WD9OBkO.jpg

To ditch, slow down to 100 m/s at 50 m altitude, then hold wings and nose level until you notice that you've stopped. Completely no-drama and very forgiving, it doesn't mind if you plop it down a bit nose-first, or fly it down a bit fast; I've made touchdowns at well over 100 m/s without any issues whatsoever.

To take off, hit full power, waggle your wings to get the floats out of the water, hold attitude horizontal until you're going at 50 m/s or so, then pull up. 

If somebody flies a practical mission for this, I'd be curious to know what it is.

Craft: https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/Long-Umpire

(Named after the most iconic flying boat of all, the Short Empire, although the looks are more Caspian Sea Monster.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.