Xbox 1 cheat menu discovered!!!!!

Dhale101

13 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Why?

Because of this:

The development team have explicitly said that they want players to figure it out. It seems only reasonable to hide it from casual spoilerage.

EDIT:

I'm happy to admit that the clues in there may be hard work, especially for gamer generations newer than mine. But surely we can do better than just spelling it out. Can't we at least drop some more hints for them to google?

Edited by stibbons

I'm curious to what the first two generations of consoles were?  Atari and what else? 

I always try the Konami code on all new games I play, just seeing if the devs have a sense of history/humor. 

Edited by Gargamel

16 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

What an odd thing to say by Squad, after openly talking about the console debug menu in the devnotes.

There's a very large disconnect between acknowledging the existence of something, and describing in detail how to use it.

If you disagree, talk to a lot of people. Maybe you could start with the folk who originally implemented the code used for the console KSP cheat menu. They were proving you wrong in the cheat code for Gradius in 1985.

20 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I always try the 

Spoiler.

5 minutes ago, stibbons said:

Spoiler.

I don't think it is.  Squad has stated they want players to figure it out on their own.  Searching for the code in google is all it would take.  This isn't the first time it's been posted in the forums, and it's been posted elsewhere. 

The original code wasn't discovered by players every where, on their own, at the same time.  It had to travel somehow, either word of mouth or through literature at the time.  I know I learned about the code working on Ice Hockey from a Nintendo Power mag, and on Contra from a friend.  It was probably originally leaked by one of the devs to a friend, and it snowballed from there.  The chances of a modern player finding this particular code on their own is quite slim, as the key combinations on modern controllers is far greater than those of old.  The fact that this code is shorter than the original accounts for this.  What would the A,B, select, and start buttons be on every controller on every platform? 

Now the OP has stated, blatantly, the code.  I only made reference to it's origins.   I think giving a younger player that tidbit of info would cause them to discover the world of gaming from back then.  Figure out the the history of the code and maybe learn a little something in the process. 

I also think it's unfair for squad to have added what PC players consider a feature, as a hidden part of the console games.  From what I've read and seen, the consoles are already playing with a short deck, and any feature that can be included should, and easily.  It should be an easily accessible, and well documented, menu in the game. 

I don't think too many people get upset about spoilers to things like inside jokes.

Based on the clue Squad gave, you either know what they're talking about -- you're in on the secret -- or you have no idea and just want to use a feature they've openly discussed as available to all console players for months and then surprisingly obscured behind some unrelated decades-old video game nostalgia that not everyone might be in on.

The second I read Squad's post I knew what they meant, but as evidenced in that same thread not everyone did. I think the statue of limitations on twee nostalgic obfuscations has been exceeded and if someone needs to do a search for how to access the menu they probably don't care about spoiling the secret.

I'm curious why there seems to be different attitude towardfs the game on PC and console when it comes to the F12 menu.

On these forums the PC debug menu is often referred to. Phrases such as "just F12 it" (e.g. to fix a wonky contract that just won't complete) are frequently made. It's also referred to when it comes to testing and even challenges, such as "2G SSTO to Orbit" making use of to add a level of difficulty.

So why should the console version be any different, regardless of what has at some point in time been said by the devs?

BTW... this is coming from someone in the same business, so I do understand that there are situations when you don't want debug info/input being publicly discussed.  I'm just unclear why the greater need for secrecy about it on console.

11 hours ago, purpleivan said:

I'm just unclear why the greater need for secrecy about it on console.

Because secrets give people the illusion of power. The only way to maintain that illusion is to prevent people from propgating the secret. 

That, and Achievements/Trophies. I can imagine some edge cases where access to the Debug menu might allow one to pop said achievements without actually doing the thing required. (Just accessing the Debug menu should automatically disable achievements for that save, but... this is KSP code we’re talking about.)

14 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I'm curious to what the first two generations of consoles were?  Atari and what else? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_home_video_game_consoles

1st gen were consoles like Pong and Magnavox Odyssey

2nd gen includes Atari 2600, Magnavox Odyssey2, ColecoVision, and Intellivision

On 2/20/2018 at 4:49 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

so people will actually have to get to orbit and land on planets themselves.

I can't speak to the console version, but the PC debug menu lets you put anything in orbit around any body you want.

Also I have played Xbox games with cheat menus that disabled achievements on that save.... hopefully that would be the case with KSP on consoles..

Having watched a stream where it was under test, can confirm that debug menu usage does indeed disable trophies on the PS4 version, save for a few that slipped through (which were bugs, and a dev was watching the stream, so they've likely been patched).  I'm not sure access alone is enough to trigger it, and I also don't know if the lock is by craft, save, or some combination of save, craft and state (vehicle operated at any point with any cheat active, any career resources manipulated).  It'd be annoying if bringing up aero or thermo data one one craft made the whole save ineligible.  I also wonder if reverts or loads to before a cheat was employed might clear the achievement lock by loading a state where it wasn't invoked.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/20/2018 at 4:00 AM, Gargamel said:

I don't think it is.  Squad has stated they want players to figure it out on their own.  Searching for the code in google is all it would take.  This isn't the first time it's been posted in the forums, and it's been posted elsewhere. 

The original code wasn't discovered by players every where, on their own, at the same time.  It had to travel somehow, either word of mouth or through literature at the time.  I know I learned about the code working on Ice Hockey from a Nintendo Power mag, and on Contra from a friend.  It was probably originally leaked by one of the devs to a friend, and it snowballed from there.  The chances of a modern player finding this particular code on their own is quite slim, as the key combinations on modern controllers is far greater than those of old.  The fact that this code is shorter than the original accounts for this.  What would the A,B, select, and start buttons be on every controller on every platform? 

Now the OP has stated, blatantly, the code.  I only made reference to it's origins.   I think giving a younger player that tidbit of info would cause them to discover the world of gaming from back then.  Figure out the the history of the code and maybe learn a little something in the process. 

I also think it's unfair for squad to have added what PC players consider a feature, as a hidden part of the console games.  From what I've read and seen, the consoles are already playing with a short deck, and any feature that can be included should, and easily.  It should be an easily accessible, and well documented, menu in the game. 

I know this thread is old, but believe me, If we play video games, we end up discovering old systems. Me and all my freinds have the OG xbox, nintdendo, sega, and im working on getting Contra for the NES

Edited by Jacob Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.