What do you think about Q from Star Trek?

Pawelk198604

[snip]

As for the topic, I think he(?) was a very good arrogant idiot. His main motivation seems to have been to show off to his kin that he knew better what humankind was capable of and thus he was superior to them. Of course he could have easily found a better "4D thinker" from our time or even before than what Picard demonstrated at the end of TNG. Thus I think he must have singled out Picard as one of our weakest individuals so if he could prove Picard as worthy, he would prove essentially all of humankind as worthy. But he was really a donkey about it all towards Picard. Maybe it was part of the test?

Edited by Deddly

I removed a couple of off-topic posts that were asking the thread to be moved. Remember that the OP can't move his own thread, so those posts are completely useless and can come across as rude. Please just use the report function next time and recommend there that we move the thread.

Someone was helpful and did that, so here I am moving it to the lounge :)

Q has the best humour in the entire franchise.

I think the character was awesome, and could not have been played better by anyone.

Had a really good arc throughout the franchise.  He seemed to actually evolve through TNG and Voyager.  (I don't really count DS9.  He was only in one episode, and it wasn't a very good one.)

I also thought it was pretty neat that it was his actual son who played Q's son in Q2.

I met John de Lancie once at a small convention.  I remember him being a bit unpleasant, but we're talking 20 years ago, and he may have been having a bad day.  No way to know.

6 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I met John de Lancie once at a small convention.  I remember him being a bit unpleasant, but we're talking 20 years ago, and he may have been having a bad day.  No way to know.

I met him at a small conference in Shreveport, Louisiana back in the mid-1990s. He was unpleasant to the jerks who were there... Not saying you were a jerk. But he is also NOT a late afternoon person. I was there at the convention from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (spent close to $500 U.S.), and I noticed he had a big change in personality after about 3:00 that afternoon. Someone had said he had a stroke/TIA during the filming of the DS9 episode - but again, that was an unconfirmed rumor...

And Q is one of my all-time favorite characters. I have 2 of the Playmates action figures...

Oh, and he plays the voice of a very similar character in My Little Pony - a goat called Discord:

18 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Not saying you were a jerk

Well, 20 years ago I was ~10.  I don't believe I was a jerk, but I do remember being incredibly excited, and I'd wanted him to sign a picture I drew.  I couldn't say what time of day it was.  But it was a very small convention, we're talking probably less than 200 people attending.  It was in a smallish hotel.  I don't even remember if any other actors were there.  I'd have to check with my dad to see if he remembers more details.  I think it was the only convention we went to without my mom or brother.

Regardless of his personablism (not a word), he put that character together very well.  My brother and I will occasionally try to cast a TNG reboot with current up-and-coming actors, and he's always tricky.

12 hours ago, Geonovast said:

And what do you expected from Q :D 

I really like star trek, I watched almost all movies and TV series from this universe, I know that there were also books based on Star Trek, quite a lot anyway :-)
It would be nice if they were translated into my native Polish language and published by any Polish publishing house, of course I know that I would like to order a book in English, From Great Britain, or even a little more expensive, from the United States or Canada, because I can to use English in speaking and writing (though I write this post through Google translator :-))

Star Wars fans are more appreciated by the publishers in my country : -(

At first I didn't like the idea of such an OP character...

But I wasn't familiar with John de Lancie, and as the series went on, I found I really like his acting style. And Q sort of grew on me. I'm not sure if another actor would have pulled that off. Now I would give just about anything to cast John de Lancie as "Thompberry" in Emiko Station, the movie (that will never happen... lol).

On 2/22/2018 at 4:30 AM, Pawelk198604 said:

Star Wars fans are more appreciated by the publishers in my country : -(

And that's the same with Star Wars fans in America, too. Random Hose/Pocket Book has announced back in 2014 it will no longer publish TOS universe based novels. :( Although I've enjoyed most everything Star Trek (and Discovery is DEFINITELY NOT Star Trek), the original series through the end of the original series movies is my favorite era. Sure, the Enterprise E is nice, and Voyager is nice, but it is hard to get any better than this...

And on a side note, there is plenty of room for Q in the original ST universe...

My favorite "Q" line in the entire franchise didn't come from "Q", but rather from "Q".  

"You know, I've always liked Klingon females. You've got such... spunk."

It's such a great in-joke for the show, and it took many, many watchings before I was old enough to start noticing recurring actors (My daughter is just starting to do that, at 8.  We uh... watch Star Trek all the time.  She was named after a certain symbiotic scientist and first officer from DS9).

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

And that's the same with Star Wars fans in America, too. Random Hose/Pocket Book has announced back in 2014 it will no longer publish TOS universe based novels. :( Although I've enjoyed most everything Star Trek (and Discovery is DEFINITELY NOT Star Trek), the original series through the end of the original series movies is my favorite era. Sure, the Enterprise E is nice, and Voyager is nice, but it is hard to get any better than this...

And on a side note, there is plenty of room for Q in the original ST universe...

I also think that they could do another Star Trek series set at the turn of the XXIV and XXV centuries, the action could be happening on the space ship which Captain Wesley Crusher commands, I'm sure fans would love it :D 

3 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

I also think that they could do another Star Trek series set at the turn of the XXIV and XXV centuries, the action could be happening on the space ship which Captain Wesley Crusher commands, I'm sure fans would love it :D 

Impossible to do with the current Next Generation story line. Wesley Crusher became a "traveler" and even nearly flunked out of Starfleet Academy because of his crappy attitude. Besides, I loathed Wesley... most useless character on the Enterprise-D besides Commander (Dr.) Katherine Pulaski...

If they were going to do a Star Trek series set in the Next Generation future/unaltered universe, I think it would be interesting to focus on the child of Spock (half Vulcan, half human) and Saavik (half Romulan, half Vulcan), as eluded to in Star Trek III when they go through the Vulcan mating ritual.  Have that child be the focus of the series.... :D

40 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Impossible to do with the current Next Generation story line. Wesley Crusher became a "traveler" and even nearly flunked out of Starfleet Academy because of his crappy attitude. Besides, I loathed Wesley... most useless character on the Enterprise-D besides Commander (Dr.) Katherine Pulaski...

If they were going to do a Star Trek series set in the Next Generation future/unaltered universe, I think it would be interesting to focus on the child of Spock (half Vulcan, half human) and Saavik (half Romulan, half Vulcan), as eluded to in Star Trek III when they go through the Vulcan mating ritual.  Have that child be the focus of the series.... :D

But Wesley graduated eventually he's 2nd lieutenant it was on Star Trek Nemesis but they cut scene with him :D 

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Doesn't change the fact that I still think he is a useless character...

He had a few moments, but a great deal of the problems he solved were ones he caused in the first place.

11 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

But Wesley graduated eventually he's 2nd lieutenant it was on Star Trek Nemesis but they cut scene with him :D 

And it was cut, for, most likely, no less than 47 reasons.  Crusher suddenly showing up after essentially becoming a god would make no sense.

I'm gonna put this train back on one of its rails by saying I'd rather follow Amanda Rogers around in a new show than seeing what Wesley was up to.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

He had a few moments, but a great deal of the problems he solved were ones he caused in the first place.

And it was cut, for, most likely, no less than 47 reasons.  Crusher suddenly showing up after essentially becoming a god would make no sense.

I'm gonna put this train back on one of its rails by saying I'd rather follow Amanda Rogers around in a new show than seeing what Wesley was up to.

Please explain what problem he caused, i don;t thin Wesley was so bad, i once read that Tom Paris in Voyager was to be Wesley Crusher roommate the one who was kicked from academy for performing unauthorized stunt show, bat they changed that to avoid copyright problems.    

2 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Hmmm, not sure about that. I still like following the spawn of Saavik and Spock in a television show...

13 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

Please explain what problem he caused, i don;t thin Wesley was so bad, i once read that Tom Paris in Voyager was to be Wesley Crusher roommate the one who was kicked from academy for performing unauthorized stunt show, bat they changed that to avoid copyright problems.    

The three most prevalent I can think of off the top of my head other than his lie-fest in "The First Duty"

He almost got the ship destroyed in the second episode by killing the engines when he took over the ship so he could play captain.  He was praised for somehow being the only person on board who could reverse a tractor beam to solve the problem he caused.

In this episode he managed to fall asleep during an incredibly intricate science experiment which nearly destroyed the ship.

He only managed to save the day in this one because he cheated at the war game by returning from the Hathaway after the game started.

11 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Hmmm, not sure about that. I still like following the spawn of Saavik and Spock in a television show...

Just what I would rather do given the choice between her and Wesley.

Oh, and yes I believe you're right about Locarno.  Nick Locarno and Tom Paris were the same character with a different name.  I read or saw something once about the change so they didn't have to pay the writer of the original character royalties.  Probably something similar with Vorik And Taurik

Edited by Geonovast

26 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

Tom Paris in Voyager

Within Voyager's timeline, there's about five years that separates Wesley and Tom Paris. So there's this issue.

Secondly, Tom Paris, had the show been allowed to progress to it's natural conclusion, Tom Paris would have been promoted by field promotion to Lieutenant Commander. Now if you want to talk about a great spin on Star Trek, here's a great idea... have a series that would focus on him getting his own command. Essentially he goes from being the screwup in Voyager to commanding of his own starship. But then again, it's easy to armchair these things...

26 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

The three most prevalent I can think of off the top of my head other than his lie-fest in "The First Duty"

He almost got the ship destroyed in the second episode by killing the engines when he took over the ship so he could play captain.  He was praised for somehow being the only person on board who could reverse a tractor beam to solve the problem he caused.

In this episode he managed to fall asleep during an incredibly intricate science experiment which nearly destroyed the ship.

He only managed to save the day in this one because he cheated at the war game by returning from the Hathaway after the game started.

Just what I would rather do given the choice between her and Wesley.

Oh, and yes I believe you're right about Locarno.  Nick Locarno and Tom Paris were the same character with a different name.  I read or saw something once about the change so they didn't have to pay the writer of the original character royalties.  Probably something similar with Vorik And Taurik

In any case the accident at Stafleet academy was caused be brazen Locarno/Paris rather than Wesley himself this time ;-)  

2 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

In any case the accident at Stafleet academy was caused be brazen Locarno/Paris rather than Wesley himself this time ;-)  

Well.. no.  The accident was cause by Josh Albert.  But the entire team went along with it when they knew the maneuver was banned, and lied to cover it up.  Locarno pushed them to do it, but they still committed perjury during the investigation.

Not that they were really punished for it.  Crusher and Sito both ended up on the Enterprise.

I hated the Q episodes as a child. I'd never choose to rewatch any of them. I do believe the actor did a great job with the character though.

I think I hate Q episodes for largely for the same reason I hate most of the time travel and story episodes, or the holodeck episodes from Voyager. It's a way for the writers to do basically a completely different kind of show. Except, I tuned in to watch star trek, not a show about an evil space wizard tormenting helpless people for no apparent reason, and oh, the helpless people happen to be the cast of star trek?

I also plain don't like Q. He's a nonstop prick. I dislike him far too much to allow the writers to make me feel any sympathy for him. The only Q episode I remotely enjoyed was the one where they had weapons that could kill Q's.

Granted, sometimes these types of episodes do work for me, but I think only in comedies. Tearjerker is easily one of my favorite episodes of American Dad, for example. Community has some that I like too, including the only bottle episode I've ever loved.

Edited by Randox

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.