KSP Challenge: Visit Eve's atmosphere!

Darth Badie

8 hours ago, Foxster said:

I'm struggling to see the point of this challenge.

And somehow the other challenges were more pointed?

The point of this and other challenges is to test your engineering skill. They're supposed to be a fun thing you do because you can. Any "point" is just a bonus.

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

And somehow the other challenges were more pointed?

Actually, no. Most of the challenges set here have been pointless and trivial, ignoring the guidelines in the Challenges sub-forum to their detriment. 

I get it - this set of "challenges" is to drum up support for the upcoming expansion; to get folks used to the idea of setting and achieving challenges. It's just that the ones chosen have been a bit lame - probably because all the good ones have already been set before in Challenges. 

Until we get some more heavenly bodies and stuff to do in KSP, there will be a limit on setting new challenges. 

Edited by Foxster

20 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Actually, no. Most of the challenges set here have been pointless and trivial, ignoring the guidelines in the Challenges sub-forum to their detriment. 

I get it - this set of "challenges" is to drum up support for the upcoming expansion; to get folks used to the idea of setting and achieving challenges. It's just that the ones chosen have been a bit lame - probably because all the good ones have already been set before in Challenges. 

Until we get some more heavenly bodies and stuff to do in KSP, there will be a limit on setting new challenges. 

Well, those are not chosen.

If you would like to make a challenge then go for it. PM it to Badie and wait for it.

So if you would like to blame someone for all the lameness and bore, blame me.

Screenshots from my two extra Eve aerobrakes and the release of Ausra Station:

Spoiler

ZGyA2IW.png

INAVa5v.png

UqymgyW.png

IgScw27.png

08X44fR.png

D5f1Q92.png

Usc2FW6.png

qXJli5k.png

OMeDcue.png

djc3ejj.png

33agdvC.png

All I need to do now is wait until my Eve perpasis is on Eve's day side, because Ausra's remaining descent probe is solar-powered and would run out of electricity on a night side descent. Once that's finished, I can plot my course back to Kerbin and maybe do a landing on Minmus or even the Mun as well.

(this is not an entry)  My first EVE experience (2014!) is in the avatar picture. That's all that survived contact with the ground :wink:  It had just enough power to transmit, and then it was done. Op Success! I tried to go back through v.90, a crew land-and-return mission, but I never finished it. Its still waiting for me, in a v.90 backup.

The Ausra mission has finally been completed, with two Kerbals being left in Ausra Station around Eve and three Kerbals returning back to Kerbin.

About two Kerbal weeks after the release of Ausra Station, Ausra's Eve periapsis was on the planet's day side, so I ejected the inflatable heat shield and the final descent probe. I had to do two tries with the descent probe, because the first time its antenna was left deployed and was ripped off during entry. It landed in Eve's Explodium Sea, but because it was half-submerged, it had difficulty recovering enough electricity from its solar panels to continue extensive science operations.

Spoiler

c2LSxFx.png

tPUVU4t.png

ql1bblr.png

bAhlkXY.png

m1PVcFN.png

deYPPPh.png

About 100-200 days of timewarp later, Kerbin and Eve were in the right position for Ausra to head back home. It did an extremely quick (~150 m/s) burn to escape Eve, and then several mid-course correction burns to get a close Kerbin encounter. Most of its remaining fuel was used to get an eccentric Kerbin orbit ranging from about 1,000 km to 74-ish km. Because Ausra was so fuel efficient and can serve some use as a re-usable interplanetary vessel, I left the main part of the craft and deorbited the crew module with RCS. However, even though I tried multiple times, the crew module could not slow itself down enough - it was far too heavy.

Spoiler

WM34yxb.png

tPRs0cI.png

FqFmjdK.png

cPgyohg.png

lDUR7PE.png

hQHJXb3.png

I decided to launch a vessel that would not only refuel Ausra, but return its Kerbals safely down to the surface and give Ausra a new and improved crew module. It was able to almost completely refuel Ausra and fulfilled its mission in bringing the Ausra crew back to Kerbin in one piece. Ausra now waits in orbit for its next mission, which will probably be Duna. I may need to do some in-orbit modifications in the future.

Spoiler

kknHc77.png

VxX08tI.png

uKMLEe5.png

sfWcC0Q.png

Vc841s6.png

dtlarAu.png

wHEt2vp.png

f0nNXj5.png

nZFDSnr.png

r55RsVD.png

rfkEwJ2.png

M3Xk3Tw.png

OJGXfBY.png

C4YS1Dt.png

bAC6ULG.png

SNaLDpJ.png

Got busy, of course.

But I did a test run around Eve and dropped down to 60,000m and came back up! It was a rougher ride than I like, though. I burnt off most of my "accessories" (RCS, solar panels, ablator etc.). So I've still got some tweaking to do if I want to get any lower.

Edited by Opus_723

Modified version of https://kerbalx.com/Marschig/Cruise-Plane-Mk2

Mining equipment was replaced by a detachable DropPod.

- Carries 6 kerbals.
- Can dive into the atmosphere of Eve below 70 km.
- Carries all scientific instruments.
- DropPod carries 4 scientific instruments and can safely land.
- Can maneuver in the atmosphere of Eve using wings.
- Can land on Kerbin.

Edited by Marschig

On 2/21/2018 at 6:22 PM, Mako said:

Okay.

Here I was thinking we had to design a vessel that could handle Eve's atmosphere AND cargo that could handle the atmosphere and landing.

I might give this a go. It's been a long time since I went to Eve.

I've done that, just need to do the mission and record it

Done!

Vessel Info

Delta-V: 970/18,594m/s
Mass: 1882.93t
TWR: 1.56 (2.2)
Parts:  97/272

Crew:  7 Kerbals

The cargo was a science probe, which was successfully landed on Eve.  There were also scientific instruments on the main vessel.  The vessel descended to 70km before ascending back to orbit.  The probe was dropped at about 80KM.

FMRS was used to control the probe for landing.

Craft Files

The craft files have been uploaded to KerbalX.  I've uploaded both the full launch vehicle, and the spaceplane by itself

Full vessel including launch vehiclehttps://kerbalx.com/linuxgurugamer/N2v5a

Spaceplanehttps://kerbalx.com/linuxgurugamer/N2v5a-Spaceplane

Here are some highlights:

Spoiler

In the VAB, showing the 7 crew members

Spoiler

twC4dM0.png

Liftoff

Spoiler

TRciUPZ.png

Orbiting around Eve

Spoiler

zzNkzyr

Dropping the probe:

Spoiler

7wKbKlH.png

Accelerating to get back into orbit

Spoiler

fVsa4qx

Aerocapture around Kerbin

Spoiler

uvtF5Ft

Approaching the KSC

Spoiler

03mfdaS

Full stop on runway

Spoiler

JOCG2kG

Imgur album:  https://imgur.com/a/ZoAjn

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 2/25/2018 at 5:56 PM, cratercracker said:

Whatever. Just bring and drop it onto Eve. You can see it explode or  burn up in the atmosphere, maybe for the extra challenge land it.

You just need to drop towards surface of Eve.

But, but, but, I took  your words to heart, and landed my probe on the surface!!

On 2/28/2018 at 3:25 AM, Foxster said:

I'm struggling to see the point of this challenge. 

We are to take a craft to Eve, dip into the atmosphere, decouple something, re-orbit?

Why would this be something that would be a useful thing to do? If the idea is, say, that we are deploying a small atmosphere probe then it would be more practical to put a small tank and engine on the probe, decouple and de-orbit it, rather than risk the Kerbin-return craft. 

Nope, not a challenge that grabs me. 

Then why bother to post?

Look at my submission, and you can see a "useful" thing which is done.  Dropping probes is useful.  Admittedly having a vessel go out, drop a probe and then return is wasteful, but who ever said that KSP was efficient?

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

On 26.02.2018 at 1:56 AM, cratercracker said:

Whatever. Just bring and drop it onto Eve. You can see it explode or  burn up in the atmosphere, maybe for the extra challenge land it.

You just need to drop towards surface of Eve.

But, but, but, I took  your words to heart, and landed my probe on the surface

That's nice.

I will note this when I will be doing a poster for your mission.

Effort of other people shall never be forgotten.

In the middle of an Eve manned mission myself.  Never landed on Eve and returned before.  Currently testing a lander before I commit a Kerbal to a surface mission.

Wonder if I could do this by modifying my current mission profile?  I can already imagine trying a flyby profile that minimizes flight time between Kerbin, Eve, and back while entering Eve's atmosphere and completing the mission.

Never have I ever.... visited eve a third time or completed a KSP challenge. Consider it done. I will be back with (hopefully) a youtube link. I will need to run the mission once successfully before I record though so it may be a day or two!

In the "better late than never" category - I introduce the "K.N.E.E.E." mission: Kerbals Never Enjoy Encountering Eve. This one includes an Eve atmossheric spaceplane called the "Skipper," and an interplanetary propulsion/habitat module. The Skipper was released from low eve orbit, and included the small probe, dropped at an altitude of 68 KM. Skipper got as low as 62KM before lighting the engine, and making back to orbit (barely - all LF/O2 was exhausted - had to finish the last 30 m/s or so with RCS)

https://imgur.com/a/u0MGV

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.