Amazon to adapt Culture book into a Prime Video

tater

1 hour ago, ModZero said:

That's irony if I've ever seen one. Banks would have hated Bezos, and I have a nagging suspicion this is only happening because he's not around to stop it.

Maybe... Honestly, however, the only way for the sort of communalism Banks proposed in the Culture books, is a true post-scarcity universe. Here on Earth, it's utterly impossible, and always will be, if for no other reason than habitable area is finite.

I suppose anyone who thinks such a utopia is possible here on Earth would like the fact that Amazon is being turned against itself (his narrative being paid for by a money-driven leviathan).

Regarding this project, if it is good, and if it makes money, the nice thing is that the books are disconnected enough from each other, and people can do things like change sex, that it makes a series easy.

5 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Even better, its on Amazon Prime, the one streaming service I have, so I can actually watch it, and not have to settle for clips and trailers like The Expanse.

??
Both seasons are on Prime, I had to wait for like a year for the 2nd season to get there, and I finished like a week ago.

On topic; cool! I haven't read the books, and I'm not really sure what it's about, but more sci-fi is always nice, I'll check this out.

Slightly off topic; I heard somewhere they were also looking at ringworld too, right?

6 hours ago, Spaceception said:

I heard somewhere they were also looking at ringworld too, right?

It's an Amazon Studios thread, so not that off topic.

IMDB has Ringworld's status only as announced, written and produced by Larry Niven. No other cast or crew listed. It says TV series or TV movie in different places, so probably a miniseries. I look forward to that.

Hmm, they also have a video game listed, "Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch" (1992). 1992.... NES? Sega? Never heard of it so... pass.

Wrenching myself fully onto topic, I really need to read that Culture series....

Edited by StrandedonEarth

36 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

??
Both seasons are on Prime, I had to wait for like a year for the 2nd season to get there, and I finished like a week ago.

On topic; cool! I haven't read the books, and I'm not really sure what it's about, but more sci-fi is always nice, I'll check this out.

Slightly off topic; I heard somewhere they were also looking at ringworld too, right?

In America yes, but sadly not in the UK. 

The books are really good, I’d say the best is Excession. Not sure how well Culture ships will adapt to TV though, considering they’re literally perfect black-body completely smooth ovoids, with no engines trails.

I haven’t heard of Ringworld before.

3 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

In America yes, but sadly not in the UK. 

The books are really good, I’d say the best is Excession. Not sure how well Culture ships will adapt to TV though, considering they’re literally perfect black-body completely smooth ovoids, with no engines trails.

I haven’t heard of Ringworld before.

Oh.. should've thought of that

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.