Creepy McCarface

Azimech

"The Family Cruiser GT4"

hsHoOrM.png

One of the strangest vehicles from 77 Industries. But it’s fun. Read more to find out.

More than a year ago, I noticed The Family Cruiser here on KerbalX. One of his/her complaints was the tipping over at speeds higher than 10 m/s. So I looked at it and improved it, offered it as a small gift. The gift wasn’t taken.

So I decided to redesign it from the ground up, essentially only leaving the I-Beam. This is the result. It ain’t pretty, Creepy McCarface is the name that comes to my mind. Especially when looking at the rear.

20yFPHi.png

The concept is actually pretty nice, how to cram 12 kerbals in a vehicle the size of a tea tin. It somehow reminds me of the 1984 Renault Espace … except a real car is always better than what we can build. The craft sat on my HD for a full year and now’s the time to let it loose.

So … what is this? It’s mainly a joke. A fast joke. With 1 kerbal it has a top speed of 80 m/s. With 12 kerbals that drops down to 60 m/s. That’s still fast enough to eat flies if you have no windscreen or helmet.

WXxuLtF.png

The big problem with such a compact vehicle is the track and wheelbase … it’s just too narrow. On top of that, even at maximum stiffness, these wheels are like jelly. Especially with such a high CoM like this vehicle. And KSP wheels have no anti-roll bars, sadly. Impressive roll rate is a compliment for a fighter jet, not for a car.

So I had to prevent it from tipping over. The only solution: dramatically reduce grip values. That’s right. This car hardly steers or brakes. But it’s actually fun! With the proper technique and maybe some adjustment to the brakes, you can even drift around the KSC!

IlbUcrJ.png

The most fun you can have with this thing: get it to tip over. Fill it up with 12 kerbals and go for it. It will sometimes even lift a front wheel in the air while everyone is screaming in agony.

PLcF0g8.png

Part count: 96.
Mass: 5100 kg.
Dimensions: 2.9 x 2.5 x 4.4m.
Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.3.1.
Download Link.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.