Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion - How to create in the Mission Builder

SQUAD

Hello everyone!

As we are getting closer to the release of Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion, the first ever KSP expansion, it’s a good time to start detailing how some of the features will actually work. In the upcoming weeks, we’ll be posting articles with the purpose of preparing you for the launch of the expansion.

If you have been following us, by now you should be aware of the Mission Builder, an exciting new feature that puts the process of creating and editing missions in your hands, using an intuitive and powerful interface.

In this article, we will detail how the you can use the tools of Mission Builder to create all sorts of exciting and inventive missions. By following this guide, you’ll be able to create and play missions from day one.

To illustrate this tutorial, we’ll create a mission, where the player will have to build a vessel that will be launched from a mobile launchpad located on the Mun and head to Eve to rescue a stranded Kerbal orbiting the planet. During the flight, a random part will fail and the player will have to perform an EVA to repair the vessel. Finally the player will continue with the rescue mission, return safely to Kerbin and land at a designated area. So without further ado, let’s begin!

After entering the Start Game screen, you’ll find the expansion’s game modes listed below Scenarios.

tumblr_inline_p4im0aQ2I01rr2wit_540.png

Enter the Mission Builder and you’ll see the Mission Canvas in the center of the screen, the Sidebar holding all the nodes on the left, and both the Setting Action Pane and Graphic Action Pane on the right (both are blank as nothing is selected yet).

tumblr_inline_p4ilzmBx4T1rr2wit_540.png

In the sidebar a wide selection of nodes is available for you to choose from. These are grouped in different categories, depending on their function and purpose, for example, location related actions.

By default, a new mission includes a Start Node and a Create Vessel node. The Start Node defines the starting parameters for our mission and by Left-clicking it you’ll open its Setting Action Pane, where you can adjust the Difficulty Settings and the Mission Start Time amongst other things. For our mission we’ll leave those settings as they are. Each node has different settings, so we’ll be making adjustments to the other nodes we’ll include for our mission.

tumblr_inline_p4ilzkwus41rr2wit_540.png

Moving on to the Create Vessel node, you’ll notice that it’s docked right under the Start Node. Nodes docked to the start node define the vessels and launch sites that are created at the start of the mission.

Let’s open the SAP for the Create Vessel node. We want to have the player build their own vessel, so we’ll leave the “Player Built” selected under the “Create Vessel” Tab. Under the “Location” Tab, you can define the situation of the vessel, whether it will be landed, in orbit, or at a launch site after the player finishes building it and hits the Launch button. We want to launch from a Launch Site, so we’ll select that option. You can also define the Facility where the player will build the vessel and select a default Launch Site. You can also create a vessel for the player to use and add Vessel Restriction here, but we won’t do that for the purposes of our mission. Before moving on, let’s name the vessel, “La Rescatadora” seems like a good name.

tumblr_inline_p4ilznjv191rr2wit_540.png

You can display the tooltips by hovering the mouse over the nodes in the Sidebar, and by right-clicking them you can pin them as you would with parts in the VAB.

tumblr_inline_p4ilzxYhOQ1rr2wit_540.png

Lets left-click on the LaunchSite node, drag it to the canvas and dock it under the Create Vessel node. This node allows us to create custom launchpads and we want to launch from Mun, so let’s do that.

tumblr_inline_p4ilzoPXJe1rr2wit_540.png

In the SAP you’ll find a “Create LaunchSite” tab, where you can set the Site Name and the Planet Body where it will be located, let’s name our site and select Mun as our Planet Body. By doing this, a Graphic Action Pane (GAP) is displayed, showcasing the body you selected. You can interact with the GAP: Right-clicking the body lets you move around the planet and left-clicking defines the location of the mobile launchpad. You can also set the location by defining the desired latitude and longitude.

tumblr_inline_p4ilzzC9dv1rr2wit_540.png

Let’s return to the Create Vessel node’s SAP by left clicking the Create Vessel node in the canvas. Now, under the Location tab we have our custom launch Site among the launchsite options. Let’s select it. Now our player will have his vessel launched from our mobile launchpad.

tumblr_inline_p4ilzvmeCm1rr2wit_540.png

The second part of our mission requires the player to head towards Eve, so let’s do that. Go to the Sidebar, and drag the Reach SOI node to the canvas and connect it to the Start Node. You can do this by left-clicking the grey arrow found on the right side of the Start Node and then left-clicking on the circle found on the left side of the Reach SOI node. You can include multiple mission paths by connecting different nodes to a single node, but we won’t be doing that today.

tumblr_inline_p4ilzulhfE1rr2wit_540.png

In the Reach SOI’s SAP and under the SOI Reached tab, we select Eve as the Planet Body and “La Rescatadora(Player Created)” as the vessel that needs to reach Eve’s sphere of influence. As our stranded Kerbal is orbiting around Eve, we don’t have to land on the planet. We also want this to be an Objective Node, which will have this node flagged as an objective for the Mission App.

tumblr_inline_p4ilzsUSKG1rr2wit_540.png

The next part of the mission will trigger an event to cause a part failure after reaching Eve’s SOI. So let’s drag the Part Failure node from the sidebar into the canvas. Connect the node to the Reach SOI node and within the Part Failure node’s SAP lets select “La Rescatadora” as the Vessel“ under the Part Failures tab. As our vessel is player created the failure will be applied to any part, depending on what the player builds. If we had selected a default vessel for the player to use, we could select the specific part in the GAP and the failure from a list.

tumblr_inline_p4im00WEt61rr2wit_540.png

In order to continue with the rescue mission, we want the player to perform an EVA and repair the part that failed. To do this we’ll drag a Test EVA node into the canvas and connect it to the Part Failure node. Within its SAP we’ll select the following settings: Kerbal Type - Crew;  Kerbal - Any Crew; Location Type - Celestial Body; Planet Body - Eve; and Vessel - La Rescatadora.

tumblr_inline_p4im02RJTa1rr2wit_540.png

Next we’ll drag a Part Repair node to the canvas, connect it to the last node, within the SAP select “La Rescatadora” as the Vessel, and “Entire Vessel” as the Repair Type. We’ll also make this a an Objective Node.

tumblr_inline_p4im01o14D1rr2wit_540.png

Wait, we forgot about our stranded Kerbal! But don’t worry, no kerbal is going to be left behind. Before rescuing it, though, we have to place it around Eve’s orbit. In order to do that we have to drag and dock a Place Kerbal node under the Start Node.In the SAP select “Crew” as the Kerbal Type. Now we have to select a Kerbal. Maybe Valentina got lost on a previous mission and now we have to rescue her, so let’s select her. We also want her to be orbiting Eve, so we have set “orbit” in the Location option and Eve as the Planet Body. Don’t forget to set her as “Stranded” too.

tumblr_inline_p4im05utCH1rr2wit_540.png

Now we have to set the objective of rescuing her, so let’s drag a Kerbal Rescue node to the canvas and connect it to the part repair node to continue with our narrative. In the SAP select the “Crew” as Kerbal Type and “Valentina Kerman” as the Kerbal to be rescued. She’ll have to board the vessel to be rescued so click on that checkbox, and make this an Objective Node as well.

tumblr_inline_p4im03t6bn1rr2wit_540.png

Why don’t we add a Message Dialog to congratulate our rescuers? Let’s drag a Dialog Message node to the canvas and connect it to the last one. We want the message to be shown in the screen, so let’s click on that checkbox. Now, we only have to add a Heading, a Message and select the Instructor Avatar who will deliver that message.

tumblr_inline_p4im04OnMl1rr2wit_540.png

We’re almost there, now our Kerbals need to return home and land safely. Drag a Go To node into the canvas and connect it to the last node. In the SAP mark it as an Objective Node and set Kerbin as the Planet Body. Landing in Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn (-6.5057 : -141.6856) could be a nice finale for the mission, so let’s set those coordinates. Oh and don’t forget to set “La Rescatadora” as the Vessel!

tumblr_inline_p4im08Rzwa1rr2wit_540.png

To end the mission we want to test if the player landed safely on Kerbin, so drag a Vessel Landed node into the canvas and connected to the previous node. We want to set this as the End Node, so mark that checkbox in the upper part of the SAP, as well as the Objective Node option. Let’s include a Mission End Text for a Success scenario, “La Rescatadora” as the Vessel, “Celestial Body” as the Location Type, and “Kerbin” as the Planet Body.

tumblr_inline_p4im068CEG1rr2wit_540.png

To finish off, let’s run a validation.This system checks the structure of a mission and looks for issues that may prevent the mission from working or that could cause the player of a mission issues when they play it. It gives feedback on issues and highlights the Nodes on the canvas that need attention.

tumblr_inline_p4ilyvxljT1rr2wit_540.png

Luckily our mission is free of issues!

tumblr_inline_p4ilywuqSd1rr2wit_540.png

Save your mission and include a Mission Briefing.

tumblr_inline_p4ilz07sv21rr2wit_540.png

Wait! I think our rescuers would like to see the mission briefing at the beginning of the mission. To do this we have to left-click the Start Node and click on the Show Mission Briefing  checkbox, then we only have to select the Instructor Avatar. Gene Kerman seems fit for the job.

tumblr_inline_p4ilzcZ7IE1rr2wit_540.png

That’s it, you are now prepared to design missions in Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion! Next time we’ll show you how to export, share, and play other people’s missions!  

Happy launchings!

[Click here for high-res images]

*Node names are still subject to change

It's really cool to see how complete this feature is. I'm sure it's going to boost the challenge community and give an entire new replayability aspect to the game, specially for those who have been playing many years.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by luinux

1 hour ago, CookieFan said:

soo... This is a weird question but, uhhhm... Will there ever be a 2 player Space-Race Mode? Just wondering. It would be pretty cool tho. Im just very curious. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Not planned, so far as I know. You can kinda do this if you share saves or try out one of the multiplayer mods.

10 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

you live in a lot of places to have all those different kinds of money :D:D:D:D

I just put them all there so that you can select the one (or ones) that are applicable to you:D

For me it would be pounds/———/———/———/kerbucks :cool:

Looking good, I'm looking forward to having a fiddle around with that, and trying out some of the included missions. 

Pity I'm away on release day... Never mind though, 'good things come to those who wait', and it gives them a few days to get the first hotfix out too :cool:.

I can't help wondering if 1.4 will come out a few days before MH actually, rather than drop them both at the same time, to ease the server load a bit and give 1.4 a 'stabilising' period.

On 2/21/2018 at 4:09 PM, Poodmund said:

Can I just point out that the screenshot previews are, like, 500 pixels wide and as a result, I cannot read a damn word on almost all of them.

Back in my day, we had entire monitors 512 pixels wide, and those were considered "high resolution". The regular ones were only 320 pixels wide, and were also just TVs. We didn't always even have enough memory for all the colors... You picked which pixels to light up so the TV would light a blue phosphor on one pixel, and the green phosphor of the one next to it to get cyan. And that's when you even had graphics! Why, I remember my first Commodore... I was so proud to have character symbols so I could "type" out my graphics. Now git off mah lawn, ya' young whippersnappers! :confused:

I love how far we've come... When once we had a glorified programmable calculator navigating our fledgling space craft, now we simulate entire space programs at home! :D

Compatibility with Mods?

Is there any official news how compatible the Mission Builder will be with Mods?

For instance, if one was to install the 1.4 updated version of Real Solar Systems. Would you be then able to build missions against the Real Solar System.

I understand the end user would have to have the same mods installed. But the big question is, is it possible at all?

1 hour ago, mindstalker said:

Compatibility with Mods?

Is there any official news how compatible the Mission Builder will be with Mods?

For instance, if one was to install the 1.4 updated version of Real Solar Systems. Would you be then able to build missions against the Real Solar System.

I understand the end user would have to have the same mods installed. But the big question is, is it possible at all?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Read the Weeklys for more details. Unfortunately, all the info we have is spread throughout dozens of different threads and sometimes requires reading through whole threads for the rare dev comment that answers a question. The only info we have regarding mods at this time is from the most recent Weekly. They're implementing a system to notify Mission players which mods were installed when the Mission was created.

How well the Mission creator will be able to handle mods like RSS will remain to be seen, but it seems like Squad has built it with mods in mind.

I am still disappointed that the mission builder does not integrate with career mode.  When the expansion was first announced, my first thought was how cool it would be to be able to download new missions from the forum and inject them into my career save.  Unfortunately that did not happen.  Still looking forward to toying with it though.

On 2/26/2018 at 1:55 PM, JamesL86 said:

I am still disappointed that the mission builder does not integrate with career mode.  When the expansion was first announced, my first thought was how cool it would be to be able to download new missions from the forum and inject them into my career save.  Unfortunately that did not happen.  Still looking forward to toying with it though.

Mission builder would wreck the current career mode unimaginably. I'm happy it's not being integrated into career.

So, will mission builder be treated as a separate game mode?

Edited by The Dunatian

I am just now seeing that this is a separate game mode and will not be integrated into career mode.  I'm a huge Kerbal fan with about 1000 hours in over 5 years, I was sooooo excited about this expansion and was going to buy it day 1, now I'm not so sure.  The idea of building custom missions to guide my own play style in career mode was extremely appealing to me.  Stand alone missions that have really no purpose (other than a challenge I suppose) is not at all.  I am not only very disappointed in this, I'm even more disappointed it was never made more clear by the devs that this would be a stand alone mode.  Of course people thought that "Mission builder" might in some way have to do with the career missions.  Just wanted to add, I will still be a Kerbal fan, and will even recommend it to people as I have for years. But I do feel very let down right now. 

@MinimalCriminal  Doesn't concern me too much...  and I thought was pretty well documented early on. 

But, I'd still give it a "wait and see" before jumping to too many conclusions.  There may be elements of it (rewards, achievements, scoring, complex object spawning, etc.) that will make it obvious as to why it could not be incorporated.  ...and who knows, maybe it's something that can still get worked-in down the road a bit? 

1 hour ago, MinimalCriminal said:

I'm even more disappointed it was never made more clear by the devs that this would be a stand alone mode.  Of course people thought that "Mission builder" might in some way have to do with the career missions.

None of Squad's messaging ever really implied that it would have anything to do with Career Mode, but you and many others made that same assumption and Squad's communication is so spread out between many threads and many replies that it's really easy to miss the details that would provide clarification.

As you've discovered, the Missions are essentially individual Scenarios or Challenges that offer new features not found in the base game, like scripted part failures and scoring. For what it's worth, besides the potential for community-made missions (the appeal of which is of course subjective), the Expansion will feature a decent amount of new parts (arguably already available through mods) and missions inspired by historical Earth missions.

Personally, it seems neat but underwhelming. I think new parts will almost always be welcome, but mods can offer many more parts for free. Mods don't offer scripted missions/challenges, but that has subjective appeal. We may see some really great, creative community-made missions, but is that potential plus what Squad packs in enough to make a compelling purchase? I am very curious to see how this does, and I understand where you're coming from. Maybe it'll surprise us, but what they've shown/talked about so far leaves me curious at best.

Edited by Mako