game plataform badge

Spricigo

I stumble on a help request by  our friend @kevnuke where people suggest mods as a solution.

Case in point, he also made a thread pointing how frustrating can be asking for help and people offering computer solutions not realising he plays on console.

One idea that could, if not solve, at least alleviate the issue is badges identifying the user as an PC/PS4/Linux/Xbox/Mac/SNES/DOS/whatever player.

In theory such tag could be just put on each user signature, but if the forum software can allow a creations of such tags and display under the profile picture that could save a bit off hassle for user and also be more effective.

I summon @Vanamonde to give us come consideration about the idea. Thanks in advance.

Sal_vager's thingy is actually a custom forum rank, like "bottle rocket" for new members and such. It would replace any regular forum rank the person had and would not advance as post count/rep increased. So that wouldn't work. I can't think of another way to indicate this at the moment, anyway, and it would seem to be best if the question askers themselves specified which platform they were using in their posts. 

I will think this over, though. 

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

and it would seem to be best if the question askers themselves specified which platform they were using in their posts. . 

Well, yes. However, I'd like to point that many of those question comes from new users that just joined the forum. We all make a few mistakes while we are new, (and a few more while we remain human).

Unfortunately, that will be kinda moot point if technical reason prevent the idea to be implemented.

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

..and it would seem to be best if the question askers themselves specified which platform they were using in their posts.

I always tag my posts, Console, PS4, xboxone, and other people posting about console do as well. And I STILL get PC advice.

The only issue I have with a badge to identify users of different platforms is that it doesn't really provide a different solution than just tagging a post with the relevant platform (eg. Console, PS4, etc). It depends on someone noticing that detail in the first place. Up until recently, it was assumed that every question or issue was for PC. Changing the size or shape or the color (tagging or badges or sounds and flashing lights, actually that lost one might work) of whatever will tell people who are reading the OP which platform the issue is related to won't do much to break that habit. Not quickly, at least. Which is why I suggested a separate forum for console. It's like when people drive to work and don't remember the trip. Or installing a door and the knob is on the opposite side as the light switch (personal experience) so it's behind the door when it's opened. Ya STILL reach for a light switch on the wrong side of the door that's not there!

By contrast a separate forum would be like having to go through a completely different door to answer questions of different platforms. It's conscious action as opposed to autopilot.

What I'm saying, guys, is that no matter how useful this might be, I do not know of a way to do it. I haven't given up on the idea, but in the meantime, having people label their own questions as being about console versions is better than nothing. 

What about a prefix pulldown on the post submission page?  One that would let the poster designate what platform their question is for.   I’ve seen forums like that, where you could then even sort by this prefix to get a list of platform-specific questions.

Forum badgewise, what about some kind of group (like global moderator etc) that rather than being assigned by an admin, is selectable on your profile via pulldown.  Self-assignable usergroup, I suppose.  No special permissions or attributes to the group, other than a special text being displayed by your name.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.