(1.4.5) Jet Sounds Continued 1.2

Patrick_the_big

Jet Sounds Continued

Jet Sounds was an amazing mod that eventually stop being updated. After this happened many people wanted the creator to keep developing it, or for someone to release their own copy that worked.

Here I am, with a working copy of Jet Sounds.

This mod replace the stock jet engine sounds with their realistic counter-part;

• J-20 "Juno"               > Garrett TFE731
  • J-33 "Wheesley"       > CFM International CFM56
  • J-90 "Goliath"            > General Electric GE90
  • J-404 "Panther"         > General Electric GE404
  • J-X4 "Whiplash"        > Rolls Royce Olympus
  • CR-7 "R.A.P.I.E.R."         >SABRE (This is cool, go check it out here!)

Go check out the original mod by JeanTheDragon!

Now with Partial-support for SXT Continued!

Download From SpaceDock!

*Disclaimer: I will try my hardest to develop the mod as far as I can, but with my limited experience from modding, don't expect any new content soon. :/ Right now it doesn't seem to work with some mods, most likely because of my poor modding*

*Disclaimer 2: I do not own any of the content within the mod. All of it belongs to JeanTheDragon, the original creator. I just made the mod compatible. If JeanTheDragon wishes me to take down this mod, I will*

Change Log:

- Release

- Added Licensing Info

- Fixed rather serious bug that involved duplicate parts

- Now runs on Module Manager! (Thanks to AccidentalDissasembly for that)

- Updated Module Manager to V. 3.0.7

- Added sounds for the CR-7 "R.A.P.I.E.R"

- Added support for SXT Continued (Thanks to linuxgurugamer for that)

- Added support for RealPlume (Thanks to theonegalen for that)

Planned Additions:

- Rocket sound effects (Might have to change the name to "Kerbal Sound Overhaul")

- Decoupler sound effects

- Explosion sound effects

License:

This mod is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International licence.

I want to give a big thanks to everyone involved, This is one of my favorite mods I am so happy that we can keep it alive.

Edited by Patrick_the_big
Update changelog, credits.

20 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

@Patrick_the_big 

You'll need to copy the license information from the original mod.  It is down at the bottom of the Original Post.  I think you'll need to include a text file labelled "License" containing the same text.

Other than that, I'm excited to try this out!

Alrighty, Just added the info to the files and the post :D

Also, can I add a comment to the original mod page that this is a thing? I'm sure people will be very happy this mod is available

Edited by Patrick_the_big
adding to it

6 hours ago, Patrick_the_big said:

Also, can I add a comment to the original mod page that this is a thing? I'm sure people will be very happy this mod is available

Erp... I believe you can... Maybe just make sure to say it's an "Unofficial update" as even though the original license doesn't say you can't fork it, you (as far as I can tell) haven't received permission from the original author to do it....

Someone like @linuxgurugamer would know best how to word something like that.  If memory serves, he's taken on like a billion mods that were "dead". 

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Change the name, and state it's a fork.

If you tried contacting the original author, mention that as well.

Given that the original author hasn't  been on the forums for almost 2 years, no one will mind if you put a post into the original thread

Do I have to change the name? I kinda like Jet Sounds

3 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I'm guessing this still doesn't work with real plume?

I'm still gonna try it out though! Thanks for getting it working with the latest KSP version! :)

Hey troll! Didn’t think you’d actually check this out. But yea, that could be why it didn’t work for me with other mods, real plume was in there

2 hours ago, Patrick_the_big said:

Hey troll! Didn’t think you’d actually check this out. But yea, that could be why it didn’t work for me with other mods, real plume was in there

Yah ADHD + procrastination habit cause problems when I do things like this. I'm always thinking "I'll test that out in a little bit!". *A while later* "Just wanna finish this thing first" *later* "maybe in a bit"

But I'll make sure to test it next time I boot up KSP

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Had a question because I noticed a conflict: why isn't this mod essentially a MM patch? Why are the cfg files creating new parts...?

I ask because the parts that are being created have the same names as existing stock parts, and this creates issues in career (at least) - you can pay to unlock the part, but can't actually place it in the VAB/SPH when there are 2 parts with the same name (at least that's what happens in my excessively modded save). Wondered if there might be a reason I didn't think of, or some such!

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

There's got to be a way to make this work with RealPlume. I'll see what I can do, as I used to love this mod.

EDIT: I just looked over the configuration files in this mod and in real plume stock, and I can't see any problem with making the two work together. It really ought to be trivial. I'll get back to you later today

Edited by theonegalen

8 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Had a question because I noticed a conflict: why isn't this mod essentially a MM patch? Why are the cfg files creating new parts...?

I ask because the parts that are being created have the same names as existing stock parts, and this creates issues in career (at least) - you can pay to unlock the part, but can't actually place it in the VAB/SPH when there are 2 parts with the same name (at least that's what happens in my excessively modded save). Wondered if there might be a reason I didn't think of, or some such!

Ok, I never noticed that. I don't know how to use module manager, but I'll look into it if it's creating new parts.

MM is very straightforward once you look at a couple examples. Here's how it would work for the Panther engine - this patch is all that's required, and in reality I think this mod MUST be an MM patch, there's no other way to do it right.

@PART[NameOfPartHere] --> tells MM to edit the part named "NameOfPartHere" (the existing squad part) and do all the stuff between the brackets {}

!EFFECTS {} --> Remove the existing EFFECTS stuff in the part, because you're going to replace it with the EFFECTS {} stuff from the Jet Sounds Continued configs (which reference different sounds).

EFFECTS { ... ... .. } --> insert the new EFFECTS{} stuff into the existing stock part's config; should produce the desired effect.

Very quick to do it for the rest of the configs, but I don't have time at the moment, sorry!

@PART[turboJet]
{
	!EFFECTS {}
	EFFECTS
	{		

running_dry
		{
			PREFAB_PARTICLE
			{
				prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_light
				transformName = smokePoint
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.05 0.0
				emission = 0.075 0.25
				emission = 1.0 1.25
				speed = 0.0 0.25
				speed = 1.0 1.0
				localOffset = 0, 0, 1
				localRotation = 1, 0, 0, -90
			}
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = JetSoundsCont/Sounds/GE404_Running_Low
				volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 0.05 0.9
				volume = 1.0 1.0
				pitch = 0.0 0.5
				pitch = 0.05 0.6
				pitch = 0.33 1.0
				pitch = 1.0 1.2
				loop = true
			}
		}

power_dry
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = JetSoundsCont/Sounds/GE404_Running_High
				volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 0.05 0.4
				volume = 1.0 0.9
				pitch = 0.0 0.8
				pitch = 1.0 1.4
				loop = true
			}
		}
		running_wet
		{
			PREFAB_PARTICLE
			{
				prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_light
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.05 0.0
				emission = 0.075 0.5
				emission = 1.0 1.25
				speed = 0.0 0.25
				speed = 1.0 1.0
				localOffset = 0, 0, 1
				localRotation = 1, 0, 0, -90
			}
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = JetSoundsCont/Sounds/GE404_Afterburner_Low
				volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 0.05 0.9
				volume = 1.0 1.0
				pitch = 0.0 0.5
				pitch = 0.05 0.6
				pitch = 0.33 1.0
				pitch = 1.0 1.2
				loop = true
			}
		}
		power_wet
		{

AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = JetSoundsCont/Sounds/GE404_Afterburner_High
				volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 0.1 0.3
				volume = 1.0 0.5
				pitch = 0.0 0.5
				pitch = 0.33 0.8
				pitch = 1.0 1.5
				loop = true
			}
			MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
			{
				modelName = Squad/FX/afterburner_shock
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.05 0.05
				emission = 0.33 0.1
				emission = 1.0 1.0
				speed = 0.0 0.0
				speed = 0.05 0.05
				speed = 0.33 0.16
				speed = 1.0 1.0
				energy = 0.0 1.5
				energy = 0.33 1.0
				energy = 1.0 1.0
			}
		}
		engage
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_vent_soft
				volume = 1.0
				pitch = 2.0
				loop = false
			}
		}
		disengage
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_vent_soft
				volume = 1.0
				pitch = 2.0
				loop = false
			}
		}
		flameout
		{
			PREFAB_PARTICLE
			{
				prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2
				oneShot = true
			}
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_explosion_low
				volume = 1.0
				pitch = 2.0
				loop = false
			}
		}
	}
}

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

9 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

MM is very straightforward once you look at a couple examples. Here's how it would work for the Panther engine - this patch is all that's required, and in reality I think this mod MUST be an MM patch, there's no other way to do it right.

@PART[NameOfPartHere] --> tells MM to edit the part named "NameOfPartHere" (the existing squad part) and do all the stuff between the brackets {}

!EFFECTS {} --> Remove the existing EFFECTS stuff in the part, because you're going to replace it with the EFFECTS {} stuff from the Jet Sounds Continued configs (which reference different sounds).

EFFECTS { ... ... .. } --> insert the new EFFECTS{} stuff into the existing stock part's config; should produce the desired effect.

Very quick to do it for the rest of the configs, but I don't have time at the moment, sorry!

Thanks so much for this! I looked at some guides, but this really made it click. with this I might be able to change all engine sounds :)

Ok, I need to test engines other than the Juno, but one thing I've noticed is that when you turn the engine on, the startup sound plays, and then the engine gets real quite all of a sudden.  Same thing but the other way around when shutting the engine off. It all of a sudden gets much louder than it previously was. Seems like either the idle sound should be louder or the startup/shutdown sounds should be quieter. The pitch also jumps between idle and shutdown. Not sure how much can be done about that though.*

Other than that, I like the sounds.

Update on other engines:

Goliath behaves similarly to the Juno as far a sounds go.

It seems that the whiplash has a startup sound, but is mute when it comes to actual thrusting.

The Wheesley is the other way around, having thrusting sound, but no startup sound.

*I'm not a sound design expert, but I wonder whether it would be possible to do something more advanced than simply play sound files. Maybe isolate out the main components such as starter-motor, main fan, LP compressor, HP compressor, turbines, and exhaust. Then each could have a sound with pitch and loudness depended on "rpm". Then a simplified model could come up with these rpms based on throttle and the spool time (and possibly specs of the real thing) given for the engine, and the game could play these sounds to get something that sounds like the real deal, but is generated directly from throttle, and thus provides smoother transitions.

I don't expect you to do that ^ and I don't even know if it's possible. Just an idea that popped in my head. :P

Edit: just noticed: Startup sound continues if you shutdown the engine again before it finishes playing.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

7 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Ok, I need to test engines other than the Juno, but one thing I've noticed is that when you turn the engine on, the startup sound plays, and then the engine gets real quite all of a sudden.  Same thing but the other way around when shutting the engine off. It all of a sudden gets much louder than it previously was. Seems like either the idle sound should be louder or the startup/shutdown sounds should be quieter. The pitch also jumps between idle and shutdown. Not sure how much can be done about that though.*

Other than that, I like the sounds.

Update on other engines:

Goliath behaves similarly to the Juno as far a sounds go.

It seems that the whiplash has a startup sound, but is mute when it comes to actual thrusting.

The Wheesley is the other way around, having thrusting sound, but no startup sound.

*I'm not a sound design expert, but I wonder whether it would be possible to do something more advanced than simply play sound files. Maybe isolate out the main components such as starter-motor, main fan, LP compressor, HP compressor, turbines, and exhaust. Then each could have a sound with pitch and loudness depended on "rpm". Then a simplified model could come up with these rpms based on throttle and the spool time (and possibly specs of the real thing) given for the engine, and the game could play these sounds to get something that sounds like the real deal, but is generated directly from throttle, and thus provides smoother transitions.

I don't expect you to do that ^ and I don't even know if it's possible. Just an idea that popped in my head. :P

Edit: just noticed: Startup sound continues if you shutdown the engine again before it finishes playing.

Like I had said before, I didn’t make the sounds. It was the same way in the old version as well. I’ll see if I can look into that.

7 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Hey, great job with the new configs. I've got some for RealPlume compatibility, but it will be a few hours before I can upload them. The computer I have KSP on doesn't connect to the internet.

That’s great! I love being able to bring more realism to KSP, things like the effects and sounds. 

Ok, here are all the RealPlume configs. Each also includes fixed configs for the basic JetSounds mod, with :NEEDS[!RealPlume] added to prevent any problems between them. You are welcome to use these as is to replace the configs currently included. I also did a couple of SXT engines. I was going to do the pulsejet included with Vens Stock Revamp, but I'm not super happy with the sound I've found.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g_15S0otyhtYK9JSASsu-oKJ341QqmZ8

Edited by theonegalen

4 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Ok, here are all the RealPlume configs. Each also includes fixed configs for the basic JetSounds mod, with :NEEDS[!RealPlume] added to prevent any problems between them. You are welcome to use these as is to replace the configs currently included. I also did a couple of SXT engines. I was going to do the pulsejet included with Vens Stock Revamp, but I'm not super happy with the sound I've found.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g_15S0otyhtYK9JSASsu-oKJ341QqmZ8

Unfortunately ModuleManager throws 101 errors with those configs - not sure why, though, sorry!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.