(1.4.5) Jet Sounds Continued 1.2

Patrick_the_big

That explains a lot, thanks everyone; I thought it might be related to RealPlume but couldn't see how, seeing as I don't have it - and it turns out that could well be the problem eh? :D

I'll keep using JetSounds and await fixes to one or bpth mods before I try out BetterSRBs again - I have plenty of rockets, but I fly more jets and I would miss the sounds more!

The Rapier config throws errors when trying to use the combo RealFuels, RealFuels-Stockalike, RealPlume, RealPlume-RFStockalike:

[ModuleManager] Applying update JetSoundsCont/Patches/RAPIER/@PART[RAPIER] to Squad/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/rapierEngine/PART

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key volume = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/plumeScale$

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key transformName = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/transformName$

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key localRotation = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/localRotation[0]$,$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/localRotation[1]$,$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/localRotation[2]$

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key localPosition = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/flarePosition[0]$,$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/flarePosition[1]$,$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/flarePosition[2]$

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key fixedScale = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/flareScale$

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key transformName = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/transformName$

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key localRotation = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/localRotation[0]$,$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/localRotation[1]$,$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/localRotation[2]$

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key localPosition = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/plumePosition[0]$,$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/plumePosition[1]$,$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/plumePosition[2]$

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key fixedScale = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/plumeScale$

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key energy = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/energy$

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key speed = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/speed$

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key emissionMult = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/emissionMult$

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key volume = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]/plumeScale$

[ModuleManager] Done patching

[ModuleManager] Errors in patch prevents the creation of the cache

[ModuleManager] ModuleManager: 62808 patches applied, found <color=orange>13 errors</color>
13 errors related to GameData/JetSoundsCont/Patches/RAPIER.cfg

Edit:

I will test a replace of
PLUME[Hypergolic-Lower]
by
PLUME[Turbojet]

Edit: no MM errors at least - but if it works I can't say, not using a Rapier actually ... :cool:

Edited by Gordon Dry

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

The Rapier config throws errors when trying to use the combo RealFuels, RealFuels-Stockalike, RealPlume, RealPlume-RFStockalike:

That looks exactly like the issues I was having when I installed BetterSRBs, which weren't really related to JetSounds. Check the explanation given on the preceding page for how it happens and suggestions on how to fix it.

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2018 at 9:38 AM, JH4C said:

Well here's an interesting brainteaser... Cross-posting in both threads, apologies for duplication. FAO @Patrick_the_big

Today I installed BetterSRBs because, well because bigger rockets. However, on loading ModuleManager throws up some errors - not in BetterSRBs, but in Jet Sounds Continued!

errorladen.png

"Hm. That's weird," I think to myself, and I quit the load, save the log, remove BetterSRBs and retry - success, no errors:

errorfree.png

Obviously this isn't the end of the testing cycle; there could be a third party at work here, so I need to eliminate that possibility. I empty my GameData folder except for Squad, SquadExpansion, BetterSRBs, Jet Sounds Continued, and ModuleManager, and try again - and the errors are still there, albeit on fewer parts as it's not trying to patch the SXT engines. The log of this attempt can be found here, it progressed all the way to the title screen but it's still smaller and easier to decipher than the previous one.

As far as I can tell, the mods don't interact with each other or any common parts, so how/why this happens? All I can say is "good luck!"

This error is back; I've only just got around to moving this into 1.5.x as almost everything else had updated, and on boot I found the exact same issues as before. As I still don't use RealPlume, I'm just gonna edit out those parts of the patches for my own use, but they really need another look when someone who knows more about everything involved has a chance.

ETA: inspection of the log file shows that the problem appears this time to be related to the pathing within the RealPlume patches, even though those versions of the patches shouldn't be getting applied on my system. Example:

[ERR 23:32:44.649] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key localRotation = #$../../../PLUME[Turbofan]/localRotation[0]$,$../../../PLUME[Turbofan]/localRotation[1]$,$../../../PLUME[Turbofan]/localRotation[2]$

There was discussion before about issues when using NEEDS: and FOR: in the same line, and that's part of the checks used to apply these sections of the patches.

Edited by JH4C
further explanation

• 4 months later...

I have updated the configs to be compatible with @JadeOfMaar's Plume Party mod as well as the recently released ReStock mod.

This zip contains no sounds, only .cfg files! Install JSC from spacedock first, then unzip this zip on top of it, over writing the old configs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j54oh320LiUj_YJsG7dFNdyqhfEpAr-U/view?usp=drivesdk

• 1 month later...

Just a quick FYI, the J-20 'Juno' is probably closer to the Junkers Jumo 004 axle-float turbojet that powered the Messerschmitt Me 262. Otherwise, this continuation is great for those of us who use realism overhaul or who just want different sounds for the jets.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else using RealPlume 11.2 and hear both stock and JSC sounds combined on the stock jet engines?  If I revert back to RealPlume 11.1, no issues.  This is with KSP 1.7.1 and RealPlume Stock v1.3.1 configs.

After what has been WAY too long without an update, this mod has skyrocketed in complexity since the last time I released an update made by me. Everyone looks to be doing one heck of a job with making new configs and adding support. Can someone link the most recent community version of this mod so I can take a look and get it officially updated? Maybe I can also learn how compatibility works.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Now that realplume is updated (12.1) I tested again with all the jet engines.  It appears that the Juno and Wheesley are the only ones using stock sounds on top of Jet Sounds Continued.  Is the !EFFECTS line responsible for removing stock sounds?  Is anyone else experiencing the same?

@PART[miniJetEngine]:NEEDS[!RealPlume]

{

!EFFECTS
    EFFECTS

Edit:  After testing some more, it looks like it is realplume adding the horrid sound to the jet engines.  I tested stock sounds and they aren't half bad compared to realplume.  And here I was blaming stock all this time...

Edited by Joker58th

19 hours ago, Joker58th said:

Now that realplume is updated (12.1) I tested again with all the jet engines.  It appears that the Juno and Wheesley are the only ones using stock sounds on top of Jet Sounds Continued.  Is the !EFFECTS line responsible for removing stock sounds?  Is anyone else experiencing the same?

@PART[miniJetEngine]:NEEDS[!RealPlume]

{

!EFFECTS
    EFFECTS

Edit:  After testing some more, it looks like it is realplume adding the horrid sound to the jet engines.  I tested stock sounds and they aren't half bad compared to realplume.  And here I was blaming stock all this time...

Hi someone pointed me towards this comment since I am looking after realplume these days. I'll be honest Im not too familiar with the jet plumes as I dont use them and I havent messed about with them. But it seems like they are using built in squad sounds for the jet plumes "sound_jet_deep" and "sound_jet_low". These configs havent changed in ages but if there have been better jet sounds added to the stock game since then I can update the plumes to reference those sounds effects. (assuming its an unequivocal improvement, I dont want to annoy people who liked the old sounds).

Edit: with reference to the mod at hand, Jet Sounds can override the realplume sounds by MM patching the powereffect created by RealPlume after realplume has run. I would suggest at :FOR[zzRealPlume]  :AFTER[zzRealPlume] This way you would get the realplume with the jetsounds sound.

Edited by Zorg

30 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I would suggest at FOR:zzRealPlume. This way you would get the realplume with the jetsounds sound.

Never use :FOR - it tells module manager that the mod is installed, whether or not it is. :FOR patches in other mods was the reason why a bunch of people were having problems when they installed this (and any other mods that had RealPlume integration) before. Now, of course RealPlume itself can use :FOR[RealPlume] patches, because you won't have those patches existing in your game data folder without RealPlume installed.

I haven't had the opportunity to download and play with the new RP yet, and I will update my patch when I do.

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

Hi someone pointed me towards this comment since I am looking after realplume these days. I'll be honest Im not too familiar with the jet plumes as I dont use them and I havent messed about with them. But it seems like they are using built in squad sounds for the jet plumes "sound_jet_deep" and "sound_jet_low". These configs havent changed in ages but if there have been better jet sounds added to the stock game since then I can update the plumes to reference those sounds effects. (assuming its an unequivocal improvement, I dont want to annoy people who liked the old sounds).

Edit: with reference to the mod at hand, Jet Sounds can override the realplume sounds by MM patching the powereffect created by RealPlume after realplume has run. I would suggest at FOR:zzRealPlume. This way you would get the realplume with the jetsounds sound.

Thanks for the reply and your work on Realplume.  I did some further testing and here are the results.

Here is the Juno stock sound:

Spoiler

Here is the Realplume sound that seems to overrides the stock sound above:

Spoiler

Here is the much preferred JetSoundsContinued sound:

Spoiler

For the JetSoundsContinued example, I removed the following config files and the issue I reported earlier resolved.  However, if not using JetSoundsContinued, there is no sound at all for this engine.

\GameData\RealPlume\000_Generic_Plumes\Turbofan.cfg

\GameData\RealPlume\000_Generic_Plumes\TurbofanOxPlume.cfg

\GameData\RealPlume\000_Generic_Plumes\Turbojet.cfg

\GameData\RealPlume\000_Generic_Plumes\TurbojetOxPlume.cfg

Conclusion:

While I'm not a fan of some of the stock sounds (compared to JetSoundsContinued), what Realplume is doing (for sounds) is less desirable than the stock sounds, IMO.  For now, unless it breaks something else, I will remove the config files.

23 minutes ago, Joker58th said:

Thanks for the reply and your work on Realplume.  I did some further testing and here are the results.

Here is the Juno stock sound:For the JetSoundsContinued example, I removed the following config files and the issue I reported earlier resolved.  However, if not using JetSoundsContinued, there is no sound at all for this engine.

\GameData\RealPlume\000_Generic_Plumes\Turbofan.cfg

\GameData\RealPlume\000_Generic_Plumes\TurbofanOxPlume.cfg

\GameData\RealPlume\000_Generic_Plumes\Turbojet.cfg

\GameData\RealPlume\000_Generic_Plumes\TurbojetOxPlume.cfg

Conclusion:

While I'm not a fan of some of the stock sounds (compared to JetSoundsContinued), what Realplume is doing (for sounds) is less desirable than the stock sounds, IMO.  For now, unless it breaks something else, I will remove the config files.

Ok so the stock Juno is in fact using the exact same sound effects :P It just has the pitch turned up to 1.5 as opposed to the default value of 1.0 used by RealPlume. I might include a patch just for the stock engines to tune the pitch similar to the stock part configs for the next update.

The reason you're probably running into issue is that you're going into "RealPlume" and deleting the generic plumes. If you dont want realplume to configure specific engines (but still keep realplume for other things) what you need to do is find the config that patches the engine specifically. Go into "RealPlume-Stock/Squad" and find the relevant jet engines and delete the configs.

Spoiler

If you're curious exactly why its happening, the engine configs inside RealPlume-stock creates a PLUME node that contains the parameters for the parts being targeted. There is a catch all patch within RealPlume that looks for such parts and then deletes the plume Fx and sound Fx from EFFECTS node before RealPlume get around to actually doing its thing and adds in a its own Fx and sounds. So even if you delete the generic plume all of this is still happening and therefore removing your sounds along with the EFFECTS node being deleted. It then looks for the generic plume to add the effects and finds nothing because you deleted it.

tl:dr dont delete generic plumes. Delete specific engine configs.

Edited by Zorg

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

Ok so the stock Juno is in fact using the exact same sound effects :P It just has the pitch turned up to 1.5 as opposed to the default value of 1.0 used by RealPlume. I might include a patch just for the stock engines to tune the pitch similar to the stock part configs for the next update.

The reason you're probably running into issue is that you're going into "RealPlume" and deleting the generic plumes. If you dont want realplume to configure specific engines (but still keep realplume for other things) what you need to do is find the config that patches the engine specifically. Go into "RealPlume-Stock/Squad" and find the relevant jet engines and delete the configs.

Hide contents

If you're curious exactly why its happening, the engine configs inside RealPlume-stock creates a PLUME node that contains the parameters for the parts being targeted. There is a catch all patch within RealPlume that looks for such parts and then deletes the plume Fx and sound Fx from EFFECTS node before RealPlume get around to actually doing its thing and adds in a its own Fx and sounds. So even if you delete the generic plume all of this is still happening and therefore removing your sounds along with the EFFECTS node being deleted. It then looks for the generic plume to add the effects and finds nothing because you deleted it.

tl:dr dont delete generic plumes. Delete specific engine configs.

Interesting, so Realplume changes the pitch.  And thanks for the detailed answer, that does help with my understanding.  As you specified, I put the generic plumes back and removed the minijet.cfg for the Juno.  The stock sounds are back to normal now but with JetSoundsContinued installed, the stock sounds are not removed.  JetSoundsContinued and stock sounds are playing at the same time.  Also note that this applies to the Wheesley engine as well.  Oddly, all the other jet engines stock sounds are removed and use the JetSoundsContinued sounds fine.  And the issue with these two engines began with Realplume 11.2+.  No issues with Realplume 11.1.

Edit: Seems like there is a problem in the "catch all patch" in Realplume 11.2+ and Juno and Wheesley engines.  Does that make sense?

Edited by Joker58th

33 minutes ago, Joker58th said:

these two engines began with Realplume 11.2+.  No issues with Realplume 11.1.

Hmm I took over RealPlume with the 12.0.0 release. But there was a major update to the module manager patching in v11.2. I'll take a look when I have a moment.

Would you mind send me your moduleManaher.configcache? Its in the gamedata folder. if the minijet.cfg is removed realplume shouldnt get in the way ideally.

1 hour ago, Joker58th said:

Edit: Seems like there is a problem in the "catch all patch" in Realplume 11.2+ and Juno and Wheesley engines.  Does that make sense?

Actually I just looked at the JetSounds patches, and I was a bit suprised to see that when it detects realplume it actually inserts an entire realplume of its own (meant to overwrite the one made by RealPlume-stock) at the targeted part!  Something about the changes made since 11.2 I guess means it doesnt work the way its supposed to anymore. But I can take a closer look a bit later.

edit:

Untested but I reckon a patch like this would solve your problem

@PART[JetEngine]:NEEDS[RealPlume,JetSounds]:BEFORE[zzJetSounds]
{

!EFFECTS {}

}

Basically whats happening is that Jetsounds is inserting a realplume but because its doing it "manually" and not using a PLUME node, the catch all patch misses it and doesnt delete the stock sounds (since you deleted minijet.cfg). Why it doesnt work directly with minijet.cfg anymore is what needs a little investigating.

Edited by Zorg

8 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Actually I just looked at the JetSounds patches, and I was a bit suprised to see that when it detects realplume it actually inserts an entire realplume of its own (meant to overwrite the one made by RealPlume-stock) at the targeted part!  Something about the changes made since 11.2 I guess means it doesnt work the way its supposed to anymore. But I can take a closer look a bit later.

Thank you Zorg! :)  Here is the cache file but I had to enable the minijet.cfg or there are MM errors generated by JSC.  I'm also including the log file to show the errors if that helps at all.

Files

10 minutes ago, Joker58th said:

Thank you Zorg! :)  Here is the cache file but I had to enable the minijet.cfg or there are MM errors generated by JSC.  I'm also including the log file to show the errors if that helps at all.

Files

Lol ok theres a fair bit happening. Ultimately it needs to be fixed within jetsounds.

Important highlights

1. The reason why realplume 11.2 broke jetsounds - the way individual effects are named changed. So the way jetsounds own modified realplume is inserted isnt correct anymore.

Spoiler

Instead of  overwriting the realplume sound, since the name of the sound node is different, the jetsounds fx are inserted as additional nodes. Hence the double sound.

2. The reason why you cant straight up delete minijet.cfg - although jetsounds inserts a new realplume, it still needs parameters from the PLUME node created in that file. thats what the MM errors are.

3. Suggested course of action for now. Dont delete anything. Keep minijet.cfg and any similar configs where they are. And run the patch I suggested in my previous post, I think that should work. 

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

Lol ok theres a fair bit happening. Ultimately it needs to be fixed within jetsounds.

Important highlights

1. The reason why realplume 11.2 broke jetsounds - the way individual effects are named changed. So the way jetsounds own modified realplume is inserted isnt correct anymore.

Reveal hidden contents

Instead of  overwriting the realplume sound, since the name of the sound node is different, the jetsounds fx are inserted as additional nodes. Hence the double sound.

2. The reason why you cant straight up delete minijet.cfg - although jetsounds inserts a new realplume, it still needs parameters from the PLUME node created in that file. thats what the MM errors are.

3. Suggested course of action for now. Dont delete anything. Keep minijet.cfg and any similar configs where they are. And run the patch I suggested in my previous post, I think that should work. 

I tried your patch with leaving everything else unchanged and I'm getting the adjusted Realplume stock sound mixed with JSC sound.  I'm posting a screenshot of the config so you can verify I'm doing it correctly.  Is it interesting at all that only the Juno and Wheesley are affected?

Spoiler

yW8ExRe.png

Edited by Joker58th

Ok, if RealPlume renamed it's effects, I can see why the old patches don't work anymore.

The reason I removed all of the RealPlume  code and replaced it originally was because there wasn't a separate config node for the sounds; they are built-in with the RP config, so I just used MM to delete the RealPlume config nodes and replaced them with a copy that changed the audio to the ones included with JetSounds Continued. It's kind of an annoyingly hacky solution, but it worked at the time.

Edited by theonegalen

• 2 months later...

I've just started rebuilding my mod install for 1.8 after a hiatus from KSP, and it seems like this mod is still working on 1.8. I have noticed however that it seems that the volume of the jet engine sound remains constant, no matter how far away from an active jet engine. I built a small test craft and started the engine, and let it fly, then bailed my kerbal out. the plane flew off without crashing, and made it to several Km away, but I could still hear the engine sound as if i was focused on the jet itself. I literally only have mechjeb, restock and restock+ and jet sounds continued installed so far. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a link to an updated version that I've missed / not aware of? 

On 12/9/2019 at 9:06 PM, vardicd said:

I've just started rebuilding my mod install for 1.8 after a hiatus from KSP, and it seems like this mod is still working on 1.8. I have noticed however that it seems that the volume of the jet engine sound remains constant, no matter how far away from an active jet engine. I built a small test craft and started the engine, and let it fly, then bailed my kerbal out. the plane flew off without crashing, and made it to several Km away, but I could still hear the engine sound as if i was focused on the jet itself. I literally only have mechjeb, restock and restock+ and jet sounds continued installed so far. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a link to an updated version that I've missed / not aware of? 

That's a stock bug.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.