Large Eve rover wheel woes.

N4CDLAW

Would like to run an issue by the forum because I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what I'm missing. I am attempting to build a large rover I can land on Eve to support crewed missions there, but I'm getting no response out of my rover wheels once I land test rovers. I have a lighter rover that functions fine. 

Problem Rover

Older design that works fine.

Essentially, I'm building a large rover which originally had 2 pair of RoveMax XL3s. Rover drove fine on Kerbin, so I hyperedited it onto the surface of Eve and have no indication that the wheels are even registering my keystrokes. Here's the problems I've noticed:

• No directional keys seem to have any effect, though I can apply and remove the brakes with effect on downhill rolling.
  • With wheel menu open, 'Motor' readout always reads 0 regardless of directional keystrokes, whereas on Kerbin this is not the case.
  • Vernor RCS engines didn't seem to activate, having no visible plume during attempted use. Unsure if that's a factor of Eve's atmosphere, never noticed it before.

Things I've done to troubleshoot:

• Tried with another lighter rover design I've used before built on 3 sets of TR-2L Ruggedized wheels. Works fine.
  • Tried hacking gravity on Kerbin to see if wheels just aren't strong enough. I can break the wheels but cannot replicate the problem on Kerbin.
  • Tried hacking gravity on Eve to no effect, even when floating away the wheels didn't appear to turn.
  • Tried increasing to 6 pair of XL3 wheels to no effect on Kerbin or Eve.
  • Tried replacing with 6 pair of TR-2L wheels just to see if I could see the wheel turn animation (since the XL3s don't ever do that), and they visually turn on Kerbin but won't move on Eve.
  • Tried hyperediting back to Kerbin in case hyperediting was breaking the wheels, but rover worked fine as soon as I returned to Kerbin.
  • Ensured wheels were powered and brakes off during every attempt.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Edited by N4CDLAW
Added pics

I've had this happen while running simulations for an Eve extraction vehicle. It felt as if like the game was saying "yeah, no crash damage and unbreakable joints are fine and dandy, but go do it again, because you've surpassed even their limits of tolerance".

Did your rover tumble violently, or hit really hard on the ground at touchdown?

4 hours ago, Atkara said:

I've had this happen while running simulations for an Eve extraction vehicle. It felt as if like the game was saying "yeah, no crash damage and unbreakable joints are fine and dandy, but go do it again, because you've surpassed even their limits of tolerance".

Did your rover tumble violently, or hit really hard on the ground at touchdown?

Nope, I was hyperediting above the surface to test 'chutes as well.

3 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Did your probe have a connection/did you have the comm network turned off?

Does it have any electric charge storage>

Crud, that's what I missed. Electric charge I have, and there was still an issue with the first rover I sent since that craft had good comms, but the test craft I rebuilt from the ground up for troubleshooting has no comms and adding a dish fixed the problem. :confused:

Thanks for your input, folks.

• 1 year later...

Did you Perhaps check your Antennae rating? I have the exact same problem, and i'm considering just launching a Relay. I hope you do get a Rover with a large enough Relay, or the Bug is fixed, (if it is a bug) Good luck mate.