Best 3d modeling software?

Yes, i know blender should be used for modeling, but i saw a 3ds max model that was 600 euro priced, and i searched, and i couldn't find blender models used comercially. So what do you think, is blender or 3ds max better for advanced modeling?

HI, as a 3ds Max user i'm biased,  BUT, in the hands of a skilled user there's probably little difference, although I'm no fan of blenders interface or layout, I've seen stunning work and models created in Blender.  As for commercially available models, well generally professional companies use professorial quality software, and can afford to pay the massive license costs for the privilege .

Really all that matters is how easy YOU find it to use, and whether it suits your brain. 
There's free student versions of 3DSMAX available and they are no less useful than the full pro version, so you can try them all, and i suggest you do.
  Do note however that due to blenders free nature , you'll find a lot more users of blender here than most other modelling software, so it's easier to get help when you get stuck, as you will :)

One last  thing, NON of the decentish modelling tools are  easy learn,  all of them have  steep to precipitous learning curve,  so don't expect to be able to knock out class A models and mods straight away.

Good luck :)

Blender can import other file formats and has plugins if it's not supported by the base product, that includes other modeling softwares' file extensions.
You want to buy an easy to learn tool? Google Sketchup. It's very easy to model there that the only problem you will have is how to optimize your model making. There are free models in the 3D warehouse for reference if you're new but not for redistribution. You can export into .dae and UV Map on Blender, which needs minimal studying to do so. It's a two step process but it's your choice, 3DS Max or Maya could UV Map and export straight up to unity but more difficult to learn than Sketchup.

• 3 weeks later...

For the entrance I can recommend Wings3D in the version 1.5.4. The operation is clear, easy to learn and the UV mapping comparatively easy to accomplish. For the creation of models for KSP, the application is more than adequate, at least I can not complain.

The version 2.1.5 unfortunately has a bug in the UV mapping, so better keep your finger away.

The best program is always the one you like the most. I work with Max and Blender in a professional environment and I like blenders streamlined UI much more than the hodgepodge UI Max uses where you have different UI styles cobbled together. Like there is a ribbon UI but there are also non-standard dropdowns and selection boxes etc etc. One of my collegues likes Max more, but even he hwas a hard time migrating from 15 to 17 as all the icons are different now.

Blenders UI philosophy is clearly shortcut based, you have a lot of shortcuts to learn, but the same shortcuts work on all objects. You scale objects with the same operation like you scale timeline events and material node ec. Also you can enter values as formulas. There is a 1024 in a value-field, but you want it to be 4098? just type *4 behind the 1024. Want to rotate a vertex so that it aligns with the vertices of a 24 sided cylinder? Just type r=360/24*x (with x beeing how many steps you want to rotate).

Max is much more Mouse based by default. You can use shortcuts but they tend to be different for every action. With max I use a spacemouse to navigate and a mouse to edit, but with blender the spacemouse isn't as effective (and needed) for me, as my hands are more focussed on keyboard and mouse.

Want to add some more edgeloops to a mesh?

Blender: alt-r , hover over on of the edges and use mousewheel up/down to adjust the amount of new loops to add, then leftklick.

Max: Klick on edge-selection mode in the edit poly mode panel, klick on an edge, klick on "ring-select" in the selection-panel, klick on the settings icon of the connect-button in the edit edges panel, edit the amount of loops to insert in the popup menu that appeared, hit ok in the pop up menu. Yes there is a swift loop funtion (of cours it resides in the Ribbon Menu and NOT in the dropdown-field menu of the edit poly modifier), but it will only add one loop at a time and it doesnt half the distance automatically, so placing the loops is a bit harder or consists of adding the loop, selecting it and then moving it.

There are some things i like better in max, like the auto grid function and generally the grid (transform orientations in blender) handling, but I use blender whenever I can.

Edited by InsaneDruid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.