BAK Karmilla - VTOL trainer which is just fun to fly

EDIT: I redesigned this to look much better and with a slightly improved control scheme. Pictures updated.

pic67AX.png

jQxygKz.png

Did you ever sigh wistfully as you admire the aerobatic antics of pilots piloting their magnificent machines through barrel rolls, hammerhead stalls, and the Immelmann turn, and finish off with a perfect vertical landing on a helipad at the top of a high building? You need the Brikoleur Aerospace Kombine (BAK) Karmilla.

The Karmilla is the ultimate teach-yourself-to-fly (and hover) machine. It makes any kind of take-off or landing easy – horizontal, vertical, or just jet-assisted short – and is so easy to fly that it gives even a novice pilot the kind of confidence that will end in a smoking hole in the ground.

Just remember: the hover jet bays have to be OPEN before using the hover jets!

3tTE4lS.png

PHvSrZ5.png

NOTE: Brikoleur Aerospace Kombine does not endorse the kind of hotdogging depicted in the publicity shots.

Controls:

Gear - Toggle gear and hover jet bays

1 - Toggle forward jet
2 - Toggle hover jets
3 - Toggle thrust reverser
6 - Toggle hover jet bays
8 - Control forward
9 - Control up

The BAK Karmilla is inspired by the beautiful de Havilland Vampire, with which it bears a passing resemblance.

Craft here: https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/Karmilla

Edited by Guest

20 minutes ago, soulreaver1981 said:

just a idea bind the buttom for opening the bay's to the vtol engine's.

start engine bay open, stop engine bay close

Jets take time to spool up and down, so this would slam the bays shut on them while they're near full power. You'd have to cut throttle and wait for them to spin down first, and that would make vertical take-offs much more complicated because there you want to cut the hover jets while the forward jet is at full power.

Edited by Guest

On 23-2-2018 at 6:46 PM, Brikoleur said:

Jets take time to spool up and down, so this would slam the bays shut on them while they're near full power. You'd have to cut throttle and wait for them to spin down first, and that would make vertical take-offs much more complicated because there you want to cut the hover jets while the forward jet is at full power.

if your going fast enough forward i does not matter if you hover engine's are cut of

24 minutes ago, soulreaver1981 said:

if your going fast enough forward i does not matter if you hover engine's are cut of

You only have one throttle control. For a vertical take-off, you need to first fire up the hover jets and let them spool up, then start the main jet to go forward. When you're going forward fast enough, you cut the hover jets. If this slams the lids on them, you will have jets producing thrust inside a closed bay.

I don't know if the Junos are powerful enough to blow up the bays should this happen (rocket hover thrusters certainly are), but I don't want to design it so this happens even if it doesn't, just because you're not supposed to slam a lid on a jet that's producing thrust.

Feel free to modify the control scheme as you see fit, of course, if you want to give it a spin! 

On 25-2-2018 at 1:26 PM, Brikoleur said:

You only have one throttle control. For a vertical take-off, you need to first fire up the hover jets and let them spool up, then start the main jet to go forward. When you're going forward fast enough, you cut the hover jets. If this slams the lids on them, you will have jets producing thrust inside a closed bay.

I don't know if the Junos are powerful enough to blow up the bays should this happen (rocket hover thrusters certainly are), but I don't want to design it so this happens even if it doesn't, just because you're not supposed to slam a lid on a jet that's producing thrust.

Feel free to modify the control scheme as you see fit, of course, if you want to give it a spin! 

i have done it in the past with no problem, you can try and see if it works

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.