KSP Weekly: The Space Twins Study

SQUAD

24 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

patience, patience, squad hasn't even answered your question! Have some faith for once.

I just feel like... people should have some faith for once. Before KSP enhanced edition, many people thought that there would never be an update. And we got one. Then a few people said that that this is the final version even though it's buggy, and we got a patch. People who don't have faith always seem to be proven wrong... am I right?

It's been broken for over a year.

I'm not a console player, but after reading the patch notes for their latest patch, I can understand the frustration.

After reading replies in this thread about grammar corrections listed as bug fixes, I went and read the patch notes. 15 out of the (claimed) more than 90 bug fixes are text corrections of some kind, I counted.

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Love the new panels. Do we know what the heat rating on these will be? On one hand it be nice if thermal performance and weight was tied to which texture you picked, but maybe its better to keep them the same so its a purely aesthetic choice?

Yeah the metal looking plates should have a higher thermal resistance compared to gold foil.

16 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

patience, patience, squad hasn't even answered your question! Have some faith for once.

I just feel like... people should have some faith for once. Before KSP enhanced edition, many people thought that there would never be an update. And we got one. Then a few people said that that this is the final version even though it's buggy, and we got a patch. People who don't have faith always seem to be proven wrong... am I right?

I have lost patience after almost 2 years. How long should I support a broken product? Can you please give me a time frame so I can learn. 2 years? 5 years? Please help me understand.

11 hours ago, scimas said:

I'm not a console player, but after reading the patch notes for their latest patch, I can understand the frustration.

After reading replies in this thread about grammar corrections listed as bug fixes, I went and read the patch notes. 15 out of the (claimed) more than 90 bug fixes are text corrections of some kind, I counted.

Thank you. I'm not that crazy people just pushing this a bit. If you are a console player you should as well. This game is awesome and I want it working.

11 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

If everything's working now, that's great.  Otherwise, any frustration from console players is completely justified.

You are a good person. I know we are talking about a video game here. I am not protesting anything serious and comments can seem a bit over the top. But anyone who has played ksp knows how this game effects the awesomeness in your life. The console players have earned a bit of priority I think. It's been almost 2 years. I just want to finish the career tree.

New panels! <3 Any chance of adding 3.75m and 5m versions too please for those who like to build big while keeping physics running well? Heck I'd kill for 7.5m and 10m also, but since 5m parts are being added anyways at least adding up to 5m seems only natural. The bigger the better though for building stuff like custom landing pads, hangers, runways, carriers, and so forth.

On 02/23/2018 at 10:52 PM, SQUAD said:

new Structural Panels

Finally! This is greater news than anything else in the coming DLC and patch!! Cheers. :o

Looks like I have some redesigning to do! Damn you Squad.. I don't have time to play KSP these days.. ;.;

Edited by Majorjim!

On 2/23/2018 at 4:52 PM, SQUAD said:

These include adding twelve new structural parts as part of the expansion, each with three texture variants

That's great that we're getting these new panels (which opens up so many more possibilities which I'm looking forward to). Although I don't see why these just shouldn't be part of the stock game, which would be even nicer. They are, after all, just bits of cut up metal not really related to any particular historical thing

Edited by qzgy
y u double post forums....

On 2/23/2018 at 2:36 PM, Space Station 4 Crash said:

The time warp bug is an absolute game stopper and it doesn't look like it was addressed. 

Has this been addressed in this patch? Are you even aware of it?

Ridiculous.

Totally ridiculous. However, so far I've encountered no problems with warp. I've been able to land on Minimus without a glitch in warp. Still frustrating that there is no physical warp in orbit. I imagine this will limit any ion or nuclear use in later progress.

On 2/23/2018 at 4:09 PM, SR1200 THUNDER said:

I don't see the bug where the controls stop functioning following an EVA making further gameplay impossible was addressed. Was it? That is a gamebreaker and far more annoying than the lack of proper English usage.

The most common bug complained about: the inability to save, recover, or play the game after a time warp is also conspicuous by its absence on that list. Was it addressed?

Crazy, right? I don't think they wanted to admit it was (may still be) THAT bad (and it was THAT bad). It's bad enough that they admit to 90 bugs in a supposed finished/enhanced version on the marketplace. Could you imagine the possible legal consequences of admitting to THAT bug?! Lol, SQUAD!

On 2/23/2018 at 5:35 PM, SR1200 THUNDER said:

So, after my earlier post, I deleted all my old saves, and started a new game from scratch.

I put the flea under my capsule, lit it, splashed down, and could NOT recover my vessel, return to KSC, bring up the pause menu, or anything else.

Try again on stock career without ever opening the cheat menu. That was my last attempt after the patch. So far, so good. Add a +1 anecdote to the maybe pile. Have hope.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:39 AM, DunaManiac said:

I'm with you. I've vented for sure, but this is obviously a show of good faith from the developers. An update in less than two months... I'll be that patient. 

On 2/24/2018 at 5:04 AM, klgraham1013 said:

It's been broken for over a year.

A lot of folks don't understand this. I don't think they play on console. Or maybe they don't really play seriously.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:00 AM, DunaManiac said:

No it hasn't I may be wrong, but I think it fixed the time warp bug. I have no complaints now.

Same. +2.

On 2/24/2018 at 2:33 PM, Space Station 4 Crash said:

I have lost patience after almost 2 years. How long should I support a broken product? 

I read 2 things here: 1. It's likely you didn't read the whole thread. 2. Less than 2 months per update package, if any more at all.

So far I'm hearing good reports overall. It's not perfect, and I can name a few that I am still experiencing, but so far I'm having no trouble after the update.

My Crew Report from the Lowlands of Minimus on the STTO Blue Couch TM : I have been a big fan of KSP since the Flying Tiger port, a sad fan when my save file was corrupted (or whatever went wrong) late career, and an outspoken critic when I was gifted a lemon on January 16, 2018.

I can report that after the update I have encountered no gamebreakers. Default career settings; no Konami access.

I can also report that the "switch to" function now properly works in the map view. I no longer need to switch by relaying to the tracking station.

There is no physical time warp in orbit; this is annoying and limits your engineering, but it's not a total gamebreak/ faiure.

That stupid crew hatch: you need to align the camera so the hatch, maybe even a radius around the hatch, is not behind the object you want to select. I find that I can access all parts as long as I select it from it's side profile.

Sometimes you need to click a part several times to open its window . Super frustrating. Not a failure.

Overall I say have faith. This is a glimmer of hope that they really are turning around for console.

To the mods,

I understand your job; I do think that sometimes the execution of your duties is dismissive of the frustration posed by console members. I don't think you intend it; I do think you set yourselves up for it.

Thank you for doing your best to facilitate these heated discussions, and Godspeed to you if this update fails to fix the basic and necessary core mechanics of the UI.

12 hours ago, Joessep Kerman said:

Sometimes you need to click a part several times to open its window . Super frustrating. Not a failure.

I remember this bug. It was on one of the prototype 64 bit versions in… 0.25? Good times.

Wonder if its root cause is similar today?

6 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I remember this bug. It was on one of the prototype 64 bit versions in… 0.25? Good times.

Wonder if its root cause is similar today?

For me, it used to be a lot worse in the first console version. The bigger the ship and longer the mission, the more clicks it would take to select anything. Eventually you'd be unable to at all, but a reboot of the system would typically reset it. 

In enhanced edition it sometimes takes a couple clicks, but hasn't systematically gotten worse. 

15 hours ago, mpusch said:

For me, it used to be a lot worse in the first console version. The bigger the ship and longer the mission, the more clicks it would take to select anything. Eventually you'd be unable to at all, but a reboot of the system would typically reset it. 

In enhanced edition it sometimes takes a couple clicks, but hasn't systematically gotten worse. 

I now have a station with a large # of parts. First time I fly it I can select everything. Second time? Nada.

But it has 200+parts so I'm not too upset. At least it stays in orbit and helps with contract completions without completely stopping the game.

It does bite, having to restart the game to transmit science anytime after the first fly.

Happy to report that after the patch I have yet to recreate the time warp bug again (PS4). I still don't think it is mentioned in the patch notes but it may of been fixed as a result of all the other fixes? The game is, so far, dare I say, VERY STABLE. I am not playing lightly, I am really pushing things.

Credit where credit is due. So far so good.

If you think about it 3d models are nothing but triangles. (yes i know about quads)  Now if the devs would be so kind as to give us a way to stretch the 3 vertices of the triangles in the VAB then ANYTHING is possible.

Gu8YvcS.png

Edited by Redneck

On 2/25/2018 at 10:52 PM, Joessep Kerman said:

Totally ridiculous. However, so far I've encountered no problems with warp. I've been able to land on Minimus without a glitch in warp. Still frustrating that there is no physical warp in orbit. I imagine this will limit any ion or nuclear use in later progress.

me too! I've had no issues with the latest version.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.