Looking for mod to fix the wheels...... again..

Talavar

I started playing KSP today after about a year long hiatus. I built an SSTO in the SPH, only to find that when I launch to runway, it slides around like it's on Ice before I even throttle up, just like it used to.. lol..  Has anyone created a mod that addresses this yet?

Edited by Talavar

I had this happen on a 700+ ton SSTO I was working on -more like a variant of it. Turns out that the gondola assemblies I had seated the landing wheels on, were flexing under the weight. This, possibly in conjunction with the tension of the springs, had the undercarriage slide on the tarmac, exactly how you described. Autostrutting their parts fixed it -but then again, what didn't need autostrutting on that craft... :P

Take a look at what happens on the wheels, as the plane slides.

Edited by Atkara

10 hours ago, Talavar said:

I started playing KSP today after about a year long hiatus. I built an SSTO in the SPH, only to find that when I launch to runway, it slides around like it's on Ice before I even throttle up, just like it used to.. lol..  Has anyone created a mod that addresses this yet?

Wheels could use some work for sure (just wait 'til you encounter the Wheel Kraken, which made its appearance in 1.3.1), but from the sound of it something's wrong with your craft. They don't normally do that. Either your landing gear isn't vertical on one or both axes, they're overloaded, or as Atkara said, something is flexing.

• 3 years later...
53 minutes ago, civilisedzombie said:

I have a similar problem, I start and my craft bounces for under two seconds and blows up. Setting the damper and spring strengths to minimum helps.

Three years later, this thread got revived. Yeah i suggest turning the spring/dampener down all the way by right-clicking. That's your best bet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.