Is it hard to become an astronaut / cosmonaut? Or at least get job in space business? (I'm from Europe, Poland to be more precise)?

Pawelk198604

Since childhood, I wanted to become a cosmonaut/astronaut in my country Poland we use term astronauta/kosmonauta(astronaut/cosmonau... interchangeably I do not know why but I am very much fascinated, almost obsessed probably because my mild asperger by space rocket missiles, did I mention that I loved to read Julies Vern :D
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky(he was Russian but of Polish origin xD ) 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantin_Tsiolkovsky

My heroes, there were people like Sergei Korolev, or Wernher Von Braun (despite the pedant past of the second one ) 
And my super-heros was not superman or batman, but Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin and Neil Alden Armstrong xD 

I once wrote essay about Neil Armstrong in my school, my physic teacher that he had problems for writing similar one in the past 

Poland was one of the few eastern bloc states that made live broadcasts from the Neil Armstrong landfill on the moon in 1969, I once talked about it with my physics teacher who told me that he watched them with his whole family on television in 1969, but he had problems because when he returned to school after holidays in September, his teacher of Polish language (Polish language course includes world literature and current news) told them to write a piece of what was the coolest during the holidays, he wrote about the landing of Armstrong on the moon, for what he had a problem, because he was accused of spreading American imperialist propaganda :D

I wonder if the age of 32 is appropriate to start another field of study, which studies to choose to deal with cosmonautics/astronautics :-) 

I would love to build my own cosmodrome/space port like Elon Musk, in Poland, 
But my friend pointed out that our country Poland is too far northern latitude to build such installations in our country, that Spain or Portugal would be better because they are closer to the equator, and have the same latitude as the American Cape Canaveral :-)

or even better in Africa, that French build their space port in almost exact on equator on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guiana_Space_Centre

In answer to your question in the title: is it hard to become an astronaut?

Yes. It's probably the single hardest job to get into, simply because there are so few astronauts.

You also have to be in very good condition both physically and mentally. Usually you need to bring some other skills with you too - most astronauts are engineers, scientists, doctors e.t.c as well as being astronauts.

Also, not being from either the USA, China or Russia there is less chance of being selected for flights. Most astronauts are from these three nations because they are the only ones with active crewed space programs. I'm from the UK, and despite having been involved in spaceflight since the 1960's, we have no crewed space programs, so there have only ever been 11 British astronauts.

But at the end of the day, this doesn't mean it can't be done. If you are truly passionate about things in life, why not chase after them? Find out what requirements there are, and work towards achieving them. Even if you don't end up becoming an astronaut, you'll still learn and experience a whole lot of new stuff that you never would have done otherwise.

In terms of jobs in the wider space industry, it's a lot easier. The aerospace industry employs over 500,000 people across Europe in a variety of jobs from engineering to accounting.

Edited by Steel

Poland is member of ESA. Since you are from Poland, your best bet is therefore to apply for the ESA astronaut corps. This webiste should provide a few more details on the application criteria: http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/Astronauts/Frequently_asked_questions_ESA_astronauts

However, please note that Poland's contribution to ESA is relatively small, making it rather unlikely that ESA will recruit a Polish astronaut, especially considering that the last selection took place in 2008 and only resulted in the recruitment of 7 astronauts.

2 minutes ago, Steel said:

In answer to your question in the title: is it hard to become an astronaut?

Yes. It's probably the single hardest job to get into, simply because there are so few astronauts.

You also have to be in very good condition both physically and mentally. Usually you need to bring some other skills with you too - most astronauts are engineers, scientists, doctors e.t.c as well as being astronauts.

Also, not being from either the USA, China or Russia there is less chance of being selected for flights. Most astronauts are from these three nations because they are the only ones with active crewed space programs. I'm from the UK, and despite having been involved in spaceflight since the 1960's, we have no crewed space programs, so there have only ever been 11 British astronauts.

But at the end of the day, this doesn't mean it can't be done. If you are truly passionate about things in life, why not chase after them? Find out what requirements there are, and work towards achieving them. Even if you don't end up becoming an astronaut, you'll still learn and experience a whole lot of new stuff that you never would have done otherwise.

Poland has only one cosmonaut, it was the General who flew to the space station, Salut 6 on the Soyuz 30 spacecraft, on  27 June 1978.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_30

In the US, you'd want to have at least one science/engineering doctorate. As was said, ESA is the best bet for you, even if hard. I don't know how educated the average ESA astronaut is vs NASA, they all seem to be scientists or engineers, though.

To work at SpaceX, etc, you'd need to move to the US, and become a citizen (because of ITAR).

1 hour ago, tater said:

To work at SpaceX, etc, you'd need to move to the US, and become a citizen (because of ITAR).

I wonder why are this stupid ITAR regulations :(  What if someone not want be US CITIZEN, i know it's might sound strange :wink:  or just like to live when he/she is born ?

Elon Musk was born in South Africa while Von Braun was born in Germany,  i think more cooperation would be more beneficial for everyone!  

Edited by Pawelk198604

22 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

I wonder why are this stupid ITAR regulations :(  What if someone not want be US CITIZEN, i know it's might sound strange :wink:  or just like to leave when he/she is born ?

Elon Musk was born in South Africa while Von Braun was born in Germany,  i think more cooperation would be more beneficial for everyone!  

Because the US government says rockets are a defense/military technology, therefore they don't allow foreign people to work on them. Unfortunately that's just the way it is.

EDIT: I know it's slightly more complicated than that, but it is frustrating for us non-US nationals

Edited by Steel

You seem to return to these forums every couple of months with pretty much the same questions, about becoming an astronaut, or a pilot, etc...

From other posts, it has transpired that you have sight issues, weight issues, and a behavioral disorder. While none of these disqualify you directly, I'd say that they make things harder and you are going to have to be super skilled in other areas. Look around you and ask yourself, are you really likely to become the most qualified person in your country to fly to Mars ? Are you among the most qualified people out of 38 million ?

Unfortunately, I'd say that the odds of becoming a professional astronaut are pretty slim.

That doesn't mean that you can't fly become an aerospace engineer or participate in an ESA project (Poland is a member of ESA). You can live your passion for astronautics in many ways, and maybe in a few decades, space tourism will have developed to the point where you can afford a ticket to the Moon or Mars as a space tourist and earn your astronaut wings.

Edited by Nibb31

Many US astronauts have training like my wife (2 science doctorates). I'd say to get to the lead of the pack, you have to think in those kinds of terms---that you are at a disadvantage if short of multiple doctorates.

@Nibb31 makes excellent suggestions. Spaceflight is a team effort, and people participate at multiple levels. Even if only trained as an undergrad in engineering, you can make real contributions as part of the team of people that make spaceflight happen.

3 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

You seem to return to these forums every couple of months with pretty much the same questions, about becoming an astronaut, or a pilot, etc...

From other posts, it has transpired that you have sight issues, weight issues, and a behavioral disorder. While none of these disqualify you directly, I'd say that they make things harder and you are going to have to be super skilled in other areas. Look around you and ask yourself, are you really likely to become the most qualified person in your country to fly to Mars ? Are you among the most qualified people out of 38 million ?

Unfortunately, I'd say that the odds of becoming a professional astronaut are pretty slim.

That doesn't mean that you can't fly become an aerospace engineer or participate in an ESA project (Poland is a member of ESA). You can live your passion for astronautics in many ways, and maybe in a few decades, space tourism will have developed to the point where you can afford a ticket to the Moon or Mars as a space tourist and earn your astronaut wings.

So Aspie (if someone had Asperger) can go to space too?

I'm not saying you can't go to space. I'm saying that the chances of joining the ESA astronaut corps are slim even for people that are highly qualified. Being an aspie doesn't make it easier.

You are young, so there are chances that space tourism will be a thing during your lifetime.

2 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

I'm not saying you can't go to space. I'm saying that the chances of joining the ESA astronaut corps are slim even for people that are highly qualified. Being an aspie doesn't make it easier.

You are young, so there are chances that space tourism will be a thing during your lifetime.

Maybe you right :-)

Don't let that discourage you from working in the space industry, though. There are many institutions, both in Poland and in nearby countries, who do important research, engineering, or operations work. For example, just across the border from you, ESA has its main control center in Darmstadt, Germany. Not just "a control center", but "THE control center". I am sure it is a fascinating place to work at, and much easier to get into than any astronaut corps just by virtue of there being way more positions to fill. And that's just one example among hundreds.

Start by looking up what your country is doing in terms of aerospace, then look at who's doing it. Look at what job openings they have posted right now. Ask yourself if you could see yourself in a similar positions. If not, branch out and look up others. If yes - well, then you have a goal to strive for. :)

Edited by Streetwind

On 2/24/2018 at 3:58 PM, Nibb31 said:

While earning multiple doctorates might help, living longer (and healthier) sounds like a more likely plan (with a backup plan of becoming a billionaire)...

• 2 weeks later...
On 24.2.2018 at 1:19 PM, Steel said:

There are harder-to-get jobs: POTUS, Pope, King or Queen in a strictly royal bloodline system ... 

Choose Another Dream
Music and lyrics copyright © 1998 Mark Bernstein

I knew a woman who dreamed of spaceflight
Wanted to follow Armstrong and Ride
So she studied hard, learned all she'd need to know
But she wasn't chosen, this one among thousands
As good as she was, she wasn't the best
And she had to watch while others got to go
So she went back to school to learn engineering
Got the best grades so the right job would call
Now her designs are in orbit above us
And she feels like she's out there after all

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.