Icosahedral Pseudoglobe Template/Maps of the Celestial Bodies of Kerbal Space Program.

Whirligig Girl

The Icosahedron is the platonic solid which most resembles a sphere, and thus is the best out of that group of objects to create a pseudo-globe with. Although other shapes like the truncated icosahedron (AKA soccer ball) may be better approximations of a spheres (and if there's enough desire for them I may make a set of soccerball planets), the icosahedron can be turned into a map which works well for tabletop roleplaying games as you can fit a hex grid onto it.

The following maps are to be used by printing them out, creasing their edges, folding them, and gluing or taping them together. (If you use tape, cut off the white tabs)

I am out of tape and ink so I can not put these together myself, if you do build these planets, don't forget to take pics and show them off! Bonus points if someone tries to figure out a way to illuminate The Sun.

Every planet and moon in the game is represented in "Satellite Map Style" (created by overlaying the normal map over the color map to create an illusion of map relief), as well as two versions of The Sun.

Imgur Album (of the entire system)

iQHmWBg.png

Dropbox Zip File Download

Requests for icosahedral map conversions for other KSP Mod worlds (I won't rule out other worlds, where equirectangular projections are available) is open, make sure you put @GregroxMun in your request if you want to make sure I see it. I will probably end up doing an Alternate Duna from Duna Restoration Project, and the planets from Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered. And I'll also make versions of the maps set into hex grids in a few different versions--Kerbal-Scale D&D Continent Scale (related to a personal project of mine), Full-Scale Traveller and Traveller 5 Forms.

Edited by GregroxMun
imgur embedding is broken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.