• Minmus
    • Gilly
    • Ike
    • Vall
    • Tylo
    • Bop
    • Pol
    • Laythe

Everyone has a favorite planet, but there are a lot of other celestial bodies in the kerbal system other than planets. What is your favorite moon? Mine is Ike due to the fact that Ike is so rarely acknowledged and that it happens to be the one I'm circumnavigating. :)

My favourite easter egg is on Vall, but my favourite moon is Mun.  Perhaps a boring choice, but going to the Mun for the first time helps you understand the mechanics of transferring between bodies.  No atmosphere means a powered landing, but the lower gravity means it isn't as hard as it could be.  The gravity isn't so low though that rovers become almost useless as they are on some of the much lower gravity moons.  You don't have to wait for a transfer window to go there, and it also has several cool easter eggs.  And if you want to replicate an Apollo mission, it's THE place to go.

Edited by Scarecrow

Laythe, without question. It's just so friendly and beautiful and has wonderful scenery, from the view of Jool on the equatorial islands to the aurora around the poles.

Number two would be Vall. It's challenging without being overwhelming and also very pretty, with spectacular views of Jool as well.

In terms of impact on the game, I think @Scarecrow is spot on: The Mun where the real game starts, the first great victory in KSP. Heck, we still give thumbs up to those who post their first arrival in General Discussion, for a reason.

Personally, I have fond memories of Vall, being the only moon in the Joolian system I have explored at any length. To date, it has been the greatest logistic challenge I have met.

I voted Minmus, because you can have a lot of fun with EVA and low dV rockets, it is not ridiculously mountainous, has reasonable timewarp altitudes, it close and is a pleasing colour, unlike Gilly :wink:

My real favorite, I think, is Serran from New Horizons. I know its not really special, but its where I first made a working high speed low COM science buggy and circumnavigated a celestial body and it was smooth enough to drive across at 130kph without being smooth enough to be boring. And with a nice view in the sky

Edited by Antstar

Pol. The topography is bizarrely amazing, with amazing views, especially with terrain scatter enabled, and the low gravity makes it an ideal place to refuel at. 

Not to mention the extremely steep hills allow me to actually have some fun there by sending a Kerbal tumbling down it and seeing how far from the flag at the top they make it. :D My personal record is about 8km I think

I think I built my biggest base on the Mun (well actually I built my biggest one on Duna, but if we're only considering moons then the Mun gets that honour). Minmus is the only celestial body (even considering modded ones) on which I've landed a large base with a single launch and a single landing (the whole thing launched as one piece and landed that way), although that method no longer suits my play style very well.

The first moon of another planet I landed on was the moon of Asclepius from the mod of the same name, and the first time I did that in the stock system was on Ike. Ike is also the only moon where I've landed both before and after landing on its planet with the same vessel.

I think the first moon of Jool I landed on was Vall (although it's been a while since my first Jool exploration so I could be mistaken). Tylo is one of the most fun to design a lander for, and of course Laythe lends itself to spaceplanes, making it an interesting destination (and I have some interesting plans for Laythe exploration when I eventually get there with my new mission architecture).

Bop, Pol, and Gilly are probably the only stock ones that I don't consider too significant, although I still like to visit them whenever I'm in local space, even if it's just with an automated lander.

One of my favourite non-stock ones is Tekto from Outer Planets, though I haven't visited it often. But I think in general it's hard for me to pick one moon that's my favourite, since I've done unique things at most of them and quite a few others have a special appeal even if I've yet to do much there.

I like Ike. (And unintentional rhymes)

Not only was it the first celestial I sent Kerbals to, other than Mun and Minmus, it also has Mun-like gravity and a smaller equatorial radius with almost no orbital inclination and eccentricity. It's the ideal moon for the first non-Kerbin-SOI landing.

Minmus is incredibly useful, purdy, and fun to mess around on. Not to mention the absurd amount of science you can get from it compared to the Mun. Overall, just a great place in general.

Also, I've been meaning to build a ground-based payload cannon with engines pointing in either direction and plop it on a mountain on Minmus

Without mods, I'd say Minmus, followed by Ike as an outsider for its treacherous topography (during my Elcano, I've reached 90 m/s in a downward slope, which is faster than a high-speed train...).

If modded moons are taken in account, I'd take Hale, yes, another outsider, from OPM. If you also have OPM-VO, at this point, it's not even eye candy, it's more of an "eye diabetes".

As an early player when the Mun was the only body out there, there's a special place for it. Landing on the Mun was an exhilarating accomplishment.

I prefer Minmus though. Easier to land on, etc.. it has a chill vibe.

Went with Mun, its the first one I go to, tends to be the most explored and by the time I can easily get to minmus its just doing the same stuff in a different location, Mun gets the "firsts"

The thrill of managing a landing the first time, heck making orbit the first time (pre-mission planning etc), before I'd seen too many tutorials, just trying it over and over, but the first time a Kerbal landed on Mun and got home safely.. so far no other world or moon has quite matched that

Edited by Leopard
wibble

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.