Explore contracts

So here's my problem. I finish the early contracts for exploring Kerbin. I escape the atmosphere, I get into orbit and all that, and then the next missions that appear are all about exploring Minmus. Why? Why can't I explore the Mun first? Usually I just fast forward a few days to get the next contract to appear, but I never get an "Explore the Mun" contract until I explore Minmus, and that just seems backwards to me.

11 minutes ago, NomenNescio said:

Why?

Hi !

Good question. The contracts aren't necessarily logical and never were, they are just a gameplay element.

But in this case, it is actually easier to try Minmus before Mun, you'll see ;-)

Cheers and happy landings

It might have something to do with accuracy, dV and no. of tasks. There's less biome, it has lower gravity (you can make a tiny lander) and you'll learn to be more accurate for the next phases.

Haven't played with them though.

The contracts are randomized. Sometimes you will get the Mun, sometimes you will get Minmus. Sometimes you will get more things to do in Kerbin orbit. It doesn't try to lead you in a perfect progression. If you don't like the contract, wait for it to expire and you might get one you like better, maybe. Or accept the one you get, and just know that you will be doing that one second.

3 hours ago, Spricigo said:

Do you want to explore the Mun? Then explore the Mun.

Just make sure the mission will not bankrupt the space program* and  go. 

*not that easy to run out of funds, mind you.

Not on Normal settings, no ... crank up the difficulty and things can be more troublesome.

1 minute ago, Kryxal said:

Not on Normal settings, no ... crank up the difficulty and things can be more troublesome.

Arguable. But if you decided to crank up the difficulty then you should be prepared to deal with the consequences of your choice.

In any case, the idea is the same: make sure you can afford the mission and go for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.