[1.10.x] Grounded - Modular Vehicles R5.0 (Mining Modules, Rotor Emergency Light) (Jun 5 2019)

blackheart612

17 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Wait I'm an idiot, I saw the planes and assumed the wrong mod

lmao It's still working though, this one has no plugins so no need of updating at all unless Squad decides to change the game itself (like wheels). I'll still update it though, I just prioritized AirplanePlus. I'll fix things then.

• 2 weeks later...

I have discovered a bug with the modular cap pieces, they won't change color. They are stuck at Stockalike Yellow. I also noticed that the wheels have near zero suspension travel, they've got too little. Making the vehicle unstable on weird KSP terrain. Lowering spring stiffness seems to reduce friction somehow as well. My only suggestion so far is to give the wheels a bit more suspension travel so they suspend properly. For the rest, this mod is near perfect, along with your Airplane Plus mod.

Question; is the hitch supposed to have rotational movement around two axes? I attempted to make a semi truck that uses them in fifth-wheel and kingpin fashion. I succeeded, but there was no bending.

Another Question; are there more colors planned? Like red or blue?

Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So some part suggestions here :

• Latest Hondas form factors (What about City, Civic, Accord, Freed, Oddyssey & Jazz?)
  • Some Mercedez cars, vans & truck parts (For car enthusiasts' eye candy probably?)
  • Sleeker car parts
  • Toyota AE86 parts (DEJA VU! I'VE JUST BEEN AT THIS PLACE BEFORE, HIGHER IN THE STREETS) *Two trashcans dragraces each other*
  • Pushback tug parts (And thus more powerful wheels)
  • Scissor lifts for Airbus A300-600ST Beluga & A330 BelugaXL loading / unloading (That'll be together with AP+ Beluga Parts Release if you'll do that).
  • Taller airstairs.
  • Tank parts (To be combo'd with BDAC)
  • Roofboxes for cars, should be attachable either with a node or radial.

Anyways, works fine on 1.5.1, no hitches and glitches as always.

Spoiler

I did know how to drift properly in KSP but too lazy to type stuff tonight (GMT +8). Let me know if you'd like to know.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

15 minutes ago, FahmiRBLXian said:

So some part suggestions here :

• Latest Hondas form factors (What about City, Civic, Accord, Freed, Oddyssey & Jazz?)
  • Some Mercedez cars, vans & truck parts (For car enthusiasts' eye candy probably?)
  • Sleeker car parts
  • Toyota AE86 parts (DEJA VU! I'VE JUST BEEN AT THIS PLACE BEFORE, HIGHER IN THE STREETS) *Two trashcans dragraces each other*
  • Pushback tug parts (And thus more powerful wheels)
  • Scissor lifts for Airbus A300-600ST Beluga & A330 BelugaXL loading / unloading (That'll be together with AP+ Beluga Parts Release if you'll do that).
  • Taller airstairs.
  • Tank parts (To be combo'd with BDAC)
  • Roofboxes for cars, should be attachable either with a node or radial.

Next thing you know you will want him to add a city for kerbals to live or clouds in the sky!  :P

8 minutes ago, Vaga said:

Next thing you know you will want him to add a city for kerbals to live or clouds in the sky!  :P

Hehe well I'm not really asking for that. I'm on a rather toaster, such eye candy might be unnecessary before I build my own PC or buying a legit gaming laptop.

Also if taking / leaving Kerbals like a station crew rotation, if I'm bad at it, don't think I'd sustain such thing... :wink:

And I (Probably?) know what he's good at and bad at. @blackheart612 did parts modding, and why not let others do some eye candy? (But if he did eyecandying, hmm...)

In terms of cities, we already have Kerbal Konstructs & Kerbinside (Continued). Too much then things go hairy.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 12:57 PM, FahmiRBLXian said:

That is so....un-kerbal. What we need is more Trabants, Yugos..... Ladas...!

Well, let's stick with the theme here. We're going for modular so if we make a specific brand, it won't be as modular.

Anyway, it's slow but I kinda figured out a working design for mining equipment that can be stacked.

Tm6sho0.png

The top is the ISRU, you'll notice it's the same design as the stock one, the bottom is the mining drill with some storage for materials recovered on site. The drill will deploy sideways. It looks better when deployed rather than stowed. It was difficult to make a design that looked right for the existing parts and function as I wanted but this one seems nice.

3 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

Well, let's stick with the theme here. We're going for modular so if we make a specific brand, it won't be as modular.

Anyway, it's slow but I kinda figured out a working design for mining equipment that can be stacked.

Tm6sho0.png

The top is the ISRU, you'll notice it's the same design as the stock one, the bottom is the mining drill with some storage for materials recovered on site. The drill will deploy sideways. It looks better when deployed rather than stowed. It was difficult to make a design that looked right for the existing parts and function as I wanted but this one seems nice.

Nice! I can't wait to bring a mining base in disguise as a family car to the Mun and Laythe.

Any plans to include life support parts? Probably a passenger conpartment with greenhouse and a service module with air and waste recyclers?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 1:33 PM, sslaptnhablhat said:

@blackheart612 No idea if this is a known issue, but the modular platform filler caps' other paint variants don't work.

Yes it is, It's mentioned in a few posts above. I guess I'll wait for the next patch to update, I hope I'll make it, I'm too busy with other stuff right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Release 5.0

This one won't get legacy support, sadly. There is a new part that uses Breaking Ground rotors and I'm thinking of changing the hitch to Breaking Ground modules. That said, I've worked on the update and finally polished it. I'm hoping for a close to perfect patch since I seldom update Grounded. I've tested a few times and fixed what I saw were issues and added new parts to make driving in the ground have some purpose. I haven't added any way to connect vehicles. Which is actually essential but I know with the new Breaking Ground robotics that's easy to do. As well as using KAS to attach pipes. I hope you all enjoy, here is the changelog and some screenshots (also available on OP, I will update crafts once uploaded):

Added Place-Anywhere Rotating Illuminator (uses a rotor function, speed of rotation can be set through the rotor RPM)

Added G1 Convert-O-Tron 65 System Module (Convert-O-Tron, Radiator, Battery, based on a car's engine setup)

Added G1 Drill O'Matic Junior Mining Excavator Kit (Drill-O'Matic, Ore Storage, Radiator)

-

Fixed issue where Modular Platform Cap, Modular Platform Cap Half is not switching textures

Fixed issue where G1 Service Command has wrong normals on Black version

Fixed all wheel suspension to now show visually in action, and better spring adjustments

Fixed Chassis Hybrid Cell having animation modules when there are no animations

-

Lowered Center of Mass for all parts that can be put above platforms to help lower vehicle Center of Mass

Widened the placement of wheel colliders to help avoid roll overs

Reduced TR-1L 22.5" Ruggedized Vehicular Wheel suspension travel distance to help avoid roll overs

Updated for 1.7.x Breaking Ground

qzvOtZN.pngjcWqnaz.pngmj7YswN.png

I've used @cineboxandrew 's particles because I'm lazy. And @damonvv has donated me a breaking ground dlc which will really help in future development of this and Airplane Plus. I'd like to extend my thanks here. And though I seldom update, I'm just busy doing other art stuff. Again, enjoy for everybody using Grounded.

Great!

Grounded was indeed behaving a little weird. I would sometimes capsize, and the tipped vehicle would slide forever as if it was on ice. Really never stopping. Weird right? That would depend on the wheels though. Some wheels from "kerbal foundries" would cause that, others wouldnt. 

And people say new KSP versions "shouldn't" break mods! HA, I say!

Edited by Daniel Prates

8 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

There is a new part that uses Breaking Ground rotors and I'm thinking of changing the hitch to Breaking Ground modules. 

Does that mean the DLC is required to use this mod or are those modules hidden within stock?

2 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Does that mean the DLC is required to use this mod or are those modules hidden within stock?

The modules are probably DLC.
@blackheart612 there's a slight bug. When a Kerbal on EVA touches a wheel, the suspension freaks out and rockets the vehicle into the air. Really annoying. Also broke my mining vehicle/BG stuff carrier. It's also liable to be even worse on Minmus, I experienced the bug on Kerbin.

Edited by Starboost88
Explained ping

Loving the new parts, they look good. Is there any way to steal the fuel tanks off the tankers around the research center and use them as fuel tanks?  I like how the parts conform so well to the random vehicles around KSC and in the background of the VAB.              

1 hour ago, Ruedii said:

I love this mod, just like I love Airplane Plus!

Might I humbly request CKAN support.

Some people (for instance Angel125) have experienced problems with CKAN, for this reason not all modmakers support CKAN as it is liable to break mods. This means it is NOT in fact comprehensive, as some mods do not support it.

2 hours ago, Starboost88 said:

Some people (for instance Angel125) have experienced problems with CKAN, for this reason not all modmakers support CKAN as it is liable to break mods. This means it is NOT in fact comprehensive, as some mods do not support it. 

Generally it is favorable to say "In the event of a bug, do a manual installation of just this mod to verify the bug isn't from CKAN."

I strongly support moders doing this.
It's part of the standard bug isolation procedure.

CKAN is continuing to get better, but you are correct, it still glitches on a few mods, and sometimes it's difficult to keep your mod's CKAN database up to date.

I have experienced a few problems with CKAN here and there, but nothing severe enough to stop me from using it for the mods it works fine on.  Simply put, like any automatic software package installation system, CKAN isn't perfect.  While easier than hand-management it can never be more perfect than a well qualified person managing mod files by hand.  Sadly, not everyone is well qualified, and even for a well qualified person, it's not exactly convenient to do everything by hand.

My most annoying issue with CKAN is how it sometimes has it's GUI gets stuck or how it sometimes has trouble when installing a large number of mods at once. 

This is honestly minimal compared to the largest problem I encountered, which was when certain files are not properly deleted, or get restored by SteamCloud.  I have this problem with Airplane Plus and KAX.  Moving the additional stock crafts to the GameData directory should fix that, now that the game actually looks there for them.

Edited by Ruedii
Moar detail.

Suggestions: Could the doors on the Materials bay have their bottom moved a little higher so they are clear of the trunk and fuel-cells.  Also, could there be an option to have a side door on them?

Additionally KIS and Breaking Ground compatible cargo modules would be incredible.

A bigger selection of fuel tanks would be nice too.

The base frame and wheels needs to be a tad heavier considering how durable they all are.   It might not be a bad idea to make it even more durable.

Finally, I think the low-end torque of the motors is a tad too high. It accelerates to top speed way too fast.   A more gradual acceleration with a similar, or even higher, top speed would be nice.  Possibly add a tweakable on motor torque that changes the cost and weight of the part. 

44 minutes ago, dxeh said:

Somehow have issues with the wheels being stucked in ground, therefor vehicles not movable.

What version of KSP are you running?  (There was a bug related to this in 1.7.1, fixed in 1.7.2.)

3 hours ago, dxeh said:

Somehow have issues with the wheels being stucked in ground, therefor vehicles not movable.

Easiest way to fix : Use PRE or Vessel Mover. How?

PRE lifts up every single object within the physics range (Automatically, then lowering it back to ground level). However, it has a risk of screwing up orbiting vessels inside the PR (And sometimes your camera if zoomed close enough that you can see the inside of a not-even-hollow part).

VM lifts and lowers (Manually, as long as you don't hit "Drop Vessel") a vessel. However, don't hit the wrong button or you'll be in the slow-recovery process / an un-recoverable drop. Why? "You need to be landed to use this" or you need to load a quicksave).