[1.10.x] Grounded - Modular Vehicles R5.0 (Mining Modules, Rotor Emergency Light) (Jun 5 2019)

blackheart612

6 minutes ago, rukhafi said:

hello, my vessel glides over the surface like a skater. Version of KSP 1.12.2. Maybe I did something wrong?

Is this with the original wheel set up from Grounded or after implementing the changes in the config that Angel-125 put up above your post? Squad changed the wheel set up in the 1.12.1 iteration and it buggered a lot of mod wheels but the MM patch he put up above you should correct the problems.

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Is this with the original wheel set up from Grounded or after implementing the changes in the config that Angel-125 put up above your post? Squad changed the wheel set up in the 1.12.1 iteration and it buggered a lot of mod wheels but the MM patch he put up above you should correct the problems.

This happens in both cases.  I was hoping for this patch, but unfortunately there was no improvement. For me at least

On 8/17/2021 at 10:21 PM, rukhafi said:

This happens in both cases.  I was hoping for this patch, but unfortunately there was no improvement. For me at least

It's definitely a problem, I had the time to check. The new update broke the already semi-broken undocumented awesome wheel modules of ksp. Most of my updates on what I'm up to recently have been on APP but I will include this when I get the time.

21 hours ago, rukhafi said:

Thank you, that will be great. Maybe it makes sense to use a plugin KSP Wheel (it's updated to the latest version)? Or is this a problem?

Back then, it would be because of the changing versions. Nowadays it wouldn't be, but I'll try to use the KSP standard modules for tradition's sake if I can

2 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

Back then, it would be because of the changing versions. Nowadays it wouldn't be, but I'll try to use the KSP standard modules for tradition's sake if I can

Thank you, I'll be waiting. And I'm not alone, I think. Your mod is very useful. :)

• 4 months later...
On 8/5/2021 at 11:41 PM, Angel-125 said:

Small MM patch for KSP 1.12.2:

@PART[wheelReg,wheelReg2,wheelReg3]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleWheelBase]
	{
		useNewFrictionModel = true
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleWheelSuspension]
	{
		useDistributedMass = true
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleWheelSteering]
	{
		autoSteeringAdjust = true
	}
}

Hope this helps. :)

well tried this patch, the wheels still drifts like if the ground is super slippery

is  it possible to make a vehicle that can load/unload cargo aircraft like the airbus beluga and boeing 747-400 LCF? or a belt loader for smaller cargo aircraft like those converted from airliners?

Edited by Kerbal410

10 hours ago, Kerbal410 said:

is  it possible to make a vehicle that can load/unload cargo aircraft like the airbus beluga and boeing 747-400 LCF? or a belt loader for smaller cargo aircraft like those converted from airliners?

Not with this mod as far as I am aware but if you get the SXT mod then it's cargo nose opening cockpit "Osaul" and it's cargo fuselage pieces, Placed on top of either a Mk2 cockpit or something from Airplane Plus, should get you a decent result.

I already have that mod installed, but Thanks for the advice! not sure how that would help with loading/unloading, but I'll give it a try.

what about the smaller cargo aircraft converted from airliners, or the cargo hold airliners have underneath? all I need is a more efficient way of loading containers in and out.

Edited by Kerbal410

I just realized my mistake here. I said vehicle but I meant part, and I can understand how hard it would be for aircraft like the Dreamlifter and Beluga, but a conveyor belt for belt loaders would be a bit easier, or at least it sounds like it would be.

Edited by Kerbal410

2 hours ago, Kerbal410 said:

I just realized my mistake here. I said vehicle but I meant part, and I can understand how hard it would be for aircraft like the Dreamlifter and Beluga, but a conveyor belt for belt loaders would be a bit easier, or at least it sounds like it would be.

If you have the Breaking Ground DLC then you could use rotors and grip pads to create a rolling deck. Or get the Kerbal Attachment system mod and winch loads in to the cargo bay. Cascading piston system may also work.

image198.jpg

• 2 months later...

Yea I tested the MM fix Angel posted and there seems to be no effect. Still basically no traction and its no the only mod that's doing so. I compared it to the stock wheels and Im not seeing any great difference of any note. Is there some change that needs to be done to the model? If its a .cfg fix its something simple thing everyone including me is missing.

I just discovered this amazing mod after recently deciding to come back to KSP after a long hiatus.

But I can't for the life of me find how to change the lights RGB colour like with the stock lights (the beam is always white), nor make the rotating light rotate. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Edited by McEckett

3 hours ago, McEckett said:

I just discovered this amazing mod after recently deciding to come back to KSP after a long hiatus.

But I can't for the life of me find how to change the lights RGB colour like with the stock lights (the beam is always white), nor make the rotating light rotate. Could someone point me in the right direction?

It is based on an older system, it can be cheated to rotate in the config file but cannot change colour or light and rotate unless the model gets rebuilt.

• 3 weeks later...

For the most part, this works perfectly fine with the latest version of KSP 1.12.x 

The only issues I've had are two existing bugs being worse than before.
1. When the vehicle is at a complete stop, it slides around a little.
2. If you kick the vehicle with your Kerbal it will sometimes go flying surprisingly far.  (I think the parts are too light.)

My suspicion is that the parts are too lightweight and that is causing both of these issues.

OK, I experimented with the regular rover wheels to see what is causing the weird behavior.

It is clearly that too much torque is being applied to the wheels when too little weight is on them.   I can replicate the behavior on brakes with the stock wheels using the Grounded partset for the body.   

The Grounded car bodies are simply just too light.  I suspect increasing their weight will help, as trying to reduce the torque of the motor.  (The fact I turn traction control up to maximum on my steering wheels, and I only have a single pair of wheels set to steer is likely why I haven't been experiencing issues while moving.)

I will experiment more later by increasing their weight a tad in the configs.

Edited by Ruedii
Moar info.

1 minute ago, Ruedii said:

OK, I experimented with the regular rover wheels to see what is causing the weird behavior.

It is clearly that too much torque is being applied to the wheels when too little weight is on them.   I can replicate the behavior on brakes with the stock wheels using the Grounded partset for the body.   

The Grounded car bodies are simply just too light.  I suspect increasing their weight will help, as trying to reduce the torque of the motor.  (The fact I turn traction control up to maximum on my steering wheels, and I only have a single pair of wheels set to steer is likely why I haven't been experiencing issues while moving.)

Have you tried comparing the stock config with the grounded wheels. They changed the way wheels are configured in 1.11.1 , so there are extra parameters that weren't around when the grounded wheels were made.

22 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Have you tried comparing the stock config with the grounded wheels. They changed the way wheels are configured in 1.11.1 , so there are extra parameters that weren't around when the grounded wheels were made.

The grounded wheels have always had INSANE torque.

They also had high friction to compensate, but I think they are hitting the limit on friction.

BTW: Progress on my investigation, I reduced the weight of the vehicle by removing all my extra stuff on my usual vehicle and it is indeed skidding all over the place.   Even increasing the traction control to 5 doesn't help.  I haven't tried switching to manual yet, though.

Edited by Ruedii

2 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

The grounded wheels have always had INSANE torque.

They also had high friction to compensate, but I think they are hitting the limit on friction.

BTW: Progress on my investigation, I reduced the weight of the vehicle by removing all my extra stuff on my usual vehicle and it is indeed skidding all over the place.   Even increasing the traction control to 5 doesn't help.  I haven't tried switching to manual yet, though.

It has been a while since I have used Grounded wheels, I keep a light version of KSP as I mod and use it to test. I also make my own wheels. I remember when they first changed the system, wheels that worked fine before suddenly started acting very weird. Also I make my wheels with stack nodes so to be sure that they are perfectly up and down. Even a very slight deviation can cause most wheels to slide sideways.

Is there a particular wheel that is the problem? If you could let me know which 1 then I can look and see if I can change it's configuration to be better compatible with the latest version of KSP.

OK, checking out the config on the wheels.  I'm comparing them to the "Rugged" TR2-L and standard rover "M1" wheel

Missing all friction bias behavior values.

Suspension range is WAY too low
Suspension target is WAY too low,
Spring ratio is WAY too low

Steering curve is not using separate "steeringMaxAngleCurve" function

Low End Torque is WAY to high.
Max Brake torque is INSANELY too high.

If you Blackheart wants I can go ahead and rewrite these entirely to start, then get on more sane weights for everything else.
If they have a github page I can just upload the files once I get a working pattern.

Edited by Ruedii
offer to upload to github.

1 minute ago, Ruedii said:

If you Blackheart wants I can go ahead and rewrite these entirely to start, then get on more sane weights for everything else.

If you can do it, then go ahead. Blackheart doesn't really get involved with this mod anymore.

If I get around to it I'll start a Github page.  I'm a little too tired tonight. 

If Blackheart wants to take back over, they can clone the archive or, I can give them shared authority if they want to share responsibility for it. 

• 1 month later...