[1.10.x] Grounded - Modular Vehicles R5.0 (Mining Modules, Rotor Emergency Light) (Jun 5 2019)

blackheart612

Having the same issue here, modded 1.4.4.  Wheels just rotate in place without any movement, tweaking the brake and motor settings makes no difference.

Edit:  Figured it out looking over the last few pages here.  Wheels had the wrong orientation, same issue as stock wheels but less obvious.  Hit S to orient!

Edited by BrunoTheMad

Alright, the Deluxe Black will be included on the next patch as well, available for all parts:

WbDMtEm.png

I made changes on nodes as well and trying my best to not break saves with the changes. Still working on it while adding the versatility of the new engine for wide bodies as well

BiEZ1Py.png

Edited by blackheart612

The hitch parts use Tech level Coupling however their is no tech level coupling in either stock or CTT therefore if you are playing Science or Carrear they don't show up.

Edit: I would add a pull request or issue tracker but I cannot find a Github.

Edit 2: The line of code is "TechRequired = Coupling" with as far as I can tell points to nothing

Edited by Vjrcr

9 hours ago, Vjrcr said:

The hitch parts use Tech level Coupling however their is no tech level coupling in either stock or CTT therefore if you are playing Science or Carrear they don't show up.

Edit: I would add a pull request or issue tracker but I cannot find a Github.

Edit 2: The line of code is "TechRequired = Coupling" with as far as I can tell points to nothing

Correct. @damonvv brought this issue to me and I still haven't released a fix due to priorities (Airplane Plus) but it will be fixed in the coming patch for sure. Coupling is a category which I mistakenly put on TechRequired.

7 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

Correct. @damonvv brought this issue to me and I still haven't released a fix due to priorities (Airplane Plus) but it will be fixed in the coming patch for sure. Coupling is a category which I mistakenly put on TechRequired.

Sorry, I must of missed that post in my research.

On 7/1/2018 at 10:13 PM, blackheart612 said:

I made changes on nodes as well and trying my best to not break saves with the changes. Still working on it while adding the versatility of the new engine for wide bodies as well

BiEZ1Py.png

Putting engines in there is a great addition. It'll make smaller vehicles much easier to power and still include passenger/storage space up top.

14 hours ago, shakuvendell said:

Quick question... How well does version 2.0 of your mod work on KSP 1.3.1?

Literally unplayable. (Not entirely) I was going to make a Legacy Version, I hope I could, I'm going to release it with 3.0 - a 3.0 legacy version. There will be no mesh and texture switching though, that's a feature of 1.4.x

Release 3.0(L)

Hmmm, alright. That seems to be good. I released twice (3.0/3.0L) the one with the L is legacy, it's made for 1.3.x but since it's difficult to test with old versions for me, I only barely tested them, at least not as much as I did for 1.4.x version. But still, should work pretty good. The features are the same except no part variants for the legacy version. Curse seems a little finicky in uploads but oh well. As it will be said in the change log, it will break (old) saves of crafts. I fixed the nodes to reduce redundancy is why. Here's the changelog also on the OP:

NOTE: Latest changes will break saves 

Added Chassis Hybrid Cell - can be attached with the chassis but no fuel on its own

Added Modular Chassis Fuel Tank - attached on Chassis Hybrid Cell sides or below widebody platforms with nodes

Added "Deluxe Black" texture for all variant switch capable parts

-

Separated Modular Platform Segment A to with and without chassis

Separated Modular Platform Segment D to with and without chassis

-

Fixed G1 Mini Service Command having up to 2 kerbals despite only physically fitting 1

Fixed G1 Hatch Back colliders making it unable to attach inside the hatch

Fixed Hitch Parts not appearing due to wrong tech nodes in configs

-

Ported to 1.3.x for legacy version of R3.0

Enjoy and report back if there are any problems :) 

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for coming so late to the party, but I just wanted to make sure if I'm doing something wrong with this mod.

I'm just coming back to KSP (1.4.5, the latest version) after a bit of a hiatus, and since I've been following the development of this mod I thought I'd give it a try. First project was a simple shuttle bus, nothing fancy and not too big. I have to admit though, it took me a fair bit of time to figure out the construction method used here; chassis, then platform bits, then load carrying parts on top. Also the no attachment points for wheels thing threw me, as did the wheels trying to attach sideways and needing to be flipped the right way round, but I eventually got the knack of that.

Here's my real stopping point though, and the part where I would beg assistance, or at least clarification: No matter what I did, no matter what settings I tried; traction control as stock or maxed out, four-wheel drive and steering or front-wheel steering and rear wheel drive, whether I used the (Service) wheels or the (Stock) wheels (unsure of the difference aside from coloring), my results were the same: The thing just skids all over the place and is impossible to control at any speed greater than 2 m/s. At 5 m/s it is just about manageable, but still starts to slide in more prolonged turns, but by 10 m/s it is completely out of control. 

Am I missing something here? Is there a setting I haven't tinkered with that I should? I did notice a "friction control" setting in the SPH that wasn't available on the runway. Would that help this lack of control problem? I also haven't tried using stock Squad-made wheels on it yet. Or is this possibly some bug that's come up with the latest KSP update; such things are far from unheard of, especially where landing gear/wheels are concerned. The bus does have a tendency to bounce on spawning, as do several aircraft, usually not enough to break anything and it's cured by tapping the brakes immediately after spawn. 

Edit: Upon further testing, I've found that tweaking the friction control option helped immensely. With that set to "Override" and the relevant slider maxed out, the bus is now perfectly controllable at speeds up to 5 m/s and only shows slight skid tendencies at 10 m/s. However, at 15 m/s it tends to go into far too tight a turn and flips onto its side, though I am more inclined to put this down to user error as 1. I am using keyboard controls and not a joystick, therefore lacking such fine steering controls, and 2. I also maxed out the traction control setting as well. Also note that this test was done with the (Stock) wheelset, not the (Service) wheels; again, aside from color and design, I am not clear on the functional difference between the two.

Overall, I am pleased that fiddling with the friction control seemed to remedy the problem, but I am still rather troubled that when left in "Automatic" mode said friction control seems to be all but useless.

Edited by sirrliv

Front wheel steer/rear wheel drive is a poor combination for KSP's physics. If you want to only use one pair of wheels for driving, use the fronts; if the driving force only comes from the back then the front has a distinct tendency to wander hither and thither, whereas AWD/FWD should enable you to easily and safely reach speeds in excess of 25m/s. I'm confused with your reference to "stock" and "service" wheels though... Oh, are you referring to the colour selection? If you're up to date, the choices should be "Classic Lightyear" and "Service Yellow" - if you're seeing something else, this suggests you're either not using the latest version of the mod, or it's not installed properly.

Turning the friction down is the best way to avoid flipping the vehicle; instead you'll find yourself doing ridiculous powerslides, but at least you'll still be upright at the end of them. That said, I've just driven a stair tug at full speed (40m/s!) and put it into a hard turn and it didn't even wobble, with everything set to the defaults and with drive/steering disabled on the rear wheels. Here's a .craft file built using only parts from this mod, try it out and see what kind of results you get: Grounded Stairtruck. Also, if you're concerned about turning too hard then consider activating the Precise controls.

The bouncing on load is an enduring bug in the basic game, supposedly fixed but it keeps cropping up. Look for the WorldStabiliser mod to help temper the effects.

2 hours ago, JH4C said:

Front wheel steer/rear wheel drive is a poor combination for KSP's physics. If you want to only use one pair of wheels for driving, use the fronts; if the driving force only comes from the back then the front has a distinct tendency to wander hither and thither, whereas AWD/FWD should enable you to easily and safely reach speeds in excess of 25m/s. I'm confused with your reference to "stock" and "service" wheels though... Oh, are you referring to the colour selection? If you're up to date, the choices should be "Classic Lightyear" and "Service Yellow" - if you're seeing something else, this suggests you're either not using the latest version of the mod, or it's not installed properly.

Turning the friction down is the best way to avoid flipping the vehicle; instead you'll find yourself doing ridiculous powerslides, but at least you'll still be upright at the end of them. That said, I've just driven a stair tug at full speed (40m/s!) and put it into a hard turn and it didn't even wobble, with everything set to the defaults and with drive/steering disabled on the rear wheels. Here's a .craft file built using only parts from this mod, try it out and see what kind of results you get: Grounded Stairtruck. Also, if you're concerned about turning too hard then consider activating the Precise controls.

The bouncing on load is an enduring bug in the basic game, supposedly fixed but it keeps cropping up. Look for the WorldStabiliser mod to help temper the effects.

Thank you so much for your advice. I had no idea about the RWD/FWS being such a bad combo. I'll bear that in mind for this and my future rover projects. I was just going by common real world practice. But then, this is KSP we're talking about, so I probably should have known better. I'll adjust things as you suggested and try again.

You're right about what I was talking about with "Service" or "Stock"; they each have those color settings, otherwise the hubs are invisible, only the tires show. It's possible I've got it installed incorrectly, but I can't see how; all I did was drop the GameData folder into the KSP install directory, the same as you'd do for any mod. Once I switch them to their color, they work just fine.

14 hours ago, sirrliv said:

You're right about what I was talking about with "Service" or "Stock"; they each have those color settings, otherwise the hubs are invisible, only the tires show.

That definitely sounds suspect, I've never had that happen. They should default to the "Classic Lightyear" hubs, and I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be a way to choose "no hub" - I tried, and I can't do it. The option for the hub not to appear isn't even in the configs. @blackheart612 any ideas?

Try re-downloading and re-installing it - oh, and a thought occurs: be sure you're not using the Legacy version, which is for 1.3.1 only. If you follow the Spacedock link in the OP, that's definitely the right version for 1.4.x, I just downloaded to double-check. (It says 1.4.4 on the Spacedock page but it works in 1.4.5 too.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

37 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

How is the hitch thing supposed to work? Because it doesn't do anything for me...

On 2/26/2018 at 12:19 AM, blackheart612 said:

The Hitch attaches to things (anything, actually, but it's inward so it needs something to be able to reach inside). The Hitchpike reaches inside the hitch to couple.
Once coupled, you can then toggle Free Pivot and it will articulate the trailer.

Note you can't pre-attach things in the SPH, so either rig up some kind of temporary decoupler or activate the tender and trailer in separate launches.