[1.10.x] Grounded - Modular Vehicles R5.0 (Mining Modules, Rotor Emergency Light) (Jun 5 2019)

blackheart612

17 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

Note that we're not using any special mods and these are fully stock so there's no special trick here.

Your idea was good. The way you did things,  this mod will probably go on forever without newer versions of KSP ruining it. It is no hassle to dock them outside. It would have been a hassle to have this stop working every time squad releases a new version. So it was a good choice.

14 hours ago, Chrisbburn said:

Seems the hitch parts are hidden behind "Coupling" tech is that correct?

I too get tired of looking all over for parts,  be it with this mod's parts or others. What I usually do is to type in the name of the part creator (in this case,  "kerbal standard") as depicted in the part description, right into the search browser above the parts list. It will then display all parts where the searched words appear,  making it easier than going through command pods,  then structural, then wheels,  then utility etc.

Edited by Daniel Prates

Love airplane plus, and now this is great.  I like being able to build purpose-made vehicles and aircraft that aren’t just sideways rocket retreads. 

If I could make one tiny suggestion, purely for aesthetic purposes... could you consider implementing firespitters texture switch ability and offering us something other than schoolbus yellow?  I get the stock-alike principle, but being able to put out some off-white and gray vehicles for use away from KSC would be awesome.  I’m sure the warplay folks would love some OD and woodland or digital camo options too.  Just a thought. 

Thanks for putting this together!

On 2/25/2018 at 9:03 PM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

This is awesome! I absolutely adore vehicle packs for KSP! I really want to try this out, but I have a paper due tomorrow

Are you going to have the stock vehicles in the pack? I know I can get them from Lack's stock expansion or KSOS, but if it's simple, having them all in one place would be nice, as would others like KSOS's, since the mod is barely supported any longer.

One more suggestion, @Omega482 has a building pack as seen below, which has a set of some more like a forklift. Though these would require IR, it's an interesting idea.

Reveal hidden contents

I5gnc1G.jpg

I wonder what it would take to make parts like that compatable with @RoverDude's Construction mod.  It can move things like that crane usefully enough.

Edited by DStaal
Remove Post Triplication.

@Chrisbburn If you're talking about where it is in the tech tree, yes it is where the docking ports are. Hitch Coupling isn't a tech available at start for balancing purposes. Otherwise, you can refer to Daniel Prates's post.

@MaxPeck Let's see. I intended the mod to be perpetually up to date due to being like a stock part. Texture switch did cross my mind. I'm not sure whether I should include it or not.

@DStaal I was very interested with Konstruction but never got to play around with it. So I'm actually not sure about the parts it has.

1 hour ago, blackheart612 said:

@DStaal I was very interested with Konstruction but never got to play around with it. So I'm actually not sure about the parts it has.

It's got a grab arm, a couple of magnets, a forklift, and some extending legs/wheels.  (Relevant to this discussion - it has other parts as well.)  It doesn't have that crane - but the abilities of that crane are clearly within what it can handle from the parts that it does have.  I was more wondering what it would take to make the models work with the Konstruction DLL, allowing movement and use without going to IR.

20 minutes ago, DStaal said:

It's got a grab arm, a couple of magnets, a forklift, and some extending legs/wheels.  (Relevant to this discussion - it has other parts as well.)  It doesn't have that crane - but the abilities of that crane are clearly within what it can handle from the parts that it does have.  I was more wondering what it would take to make the models work with the Konstruction DLL, allowing movement and use without going to IR.

While I entertained the idea of having FSTextureSwitch, depending on another dll is certainly not one of the ideas of making this mod. So there's that. But I'm not sure if Konstruction parts themselves could fit in the existing parts or parts to come. That way, you could just use it in harmony with it.

54 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

While I entertained the idea of having FSTextureSwitch, depending on another dll is certainly not one of the ideas of making this mod. So there's that. But I'm not sure if Konstruction parts themselves could fit in the existing parts or parts to come. That way, you could just use it in harmony with it.

Yup.... Konstruction has a forklift, a crane and a few other nifty articulated parts. They’re all KSC yellow too, so they blend in pretty well with yours. One thing Konstruction doesn’t have is a lot of choices as far as the platform you mount it’s things on, so your mod actually checks that box nicely. 

54 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

I noticed your mod came packed with Firespitter, so I assumed there was some kind of dependency. Regardless, can’t you make FSTextureSwitch an optional “if has” as opposed to a “must have”?  I feel like that would be a MM thing?  I don’t really know a whole lot about the nuts and bolts of KSP coding so I’m just making educated guesses. 

Edited by MaxPeck
No idea why it’s quoting you twice.

3 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

Have no worry, I've got plans to use RoverDude's construction plugin in a couple of parts in my truck mod. I'll see about making it interchangeable. I'll have it use the :NEEDS[MOD] MM line in the part. Additionally, I'm starting to incorporate interstellar fuel switch into my mods for the texture switching and animated cargo containers, so maybe, and with your permission, I can later add a couple of additional textures based off of your truck texture and use an MM patch in my mod for your trucks.

With that, the "Super Carrot" Heavy Drill is being towed off to the painter.

HECFTxe.png

Edited by Eskandare

@MaxPeck A firespitter in the zip?! Must be a remnant of AirplanePlus :P It's not dependent with any. But I did think at some point to add textureswitch.

@Eskandare If you're going to customize the configs, just make sure to ask for a written permission before using them, just to have it if asked (because of strict licensing), though I just give away permissions once asked almost all the time, as long as there's proper crediting. If you're going to use MM configs, then that's fine any time :wink: 

@BelfastBrawler There's a little bigger, parts on my head right now, but really huge parts aren't on my plans.

7 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

@Chrisbburn If you're talking about where it is in the tech tree, yes it is where the docking ports are. Hitch Coupling isn't a tech available at start for balancing purposes. Otherwise, you can refer to Daniel Prates's post.

Ok I'll take a look. They are not showing up in the tech tree that's what confused me. In sandbox they are there in the parts list. I'll unlock miniaturisation and see.

1 hour ago, blackheart612 said:

@MaxPeck A firespitter in the zip?! Must be a remnant of AirplanePlus :P It's not dependent with any. But I did think at some point to add textureswitch.

I stand corrected - I just went and re-downloaded it to check and there is no FS in the zip.

Still, I would think it wouldn't be that hard to put a MM config together to allow texture switch if FS is installed, otherwise, not.  That way it's not a dependency, but still available?  (says the guy who couldn't write a MM config with a gun to his head)

@Chrisbburn I actually forgot where exactly I put the coupling tech... It's completely possible I mistakenly put the category on the tech unlock... I'll go check soon and patch it ASAP if it's the case.

@MaxPeck Two have a texture switch, you need to make another texture, not just a config :wink: Nevertheless, I'm still interested. We'll see what happens in the future. Focusing on adding parts at the moment. It's actually more complicated than planes...

4 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

@MaxPeck Two have a texture switch, you need to make another texture, not just a config :wink:

That seems like the easy part... put the texture in photoshop, play with color, resave it. I mean compared to the rest of what you’re doing, modeling parts with the whole tongue-in-groove system you’ve got going on and making them fit together perfectly is no small task I would imagine.