[1.10.x] Grounded - Modular Vehicles R5.0 (Mining Modules, Rotor Emergency Light) (Jun 5 2019)

blackheart612

@johnkeale Sure she is, drew that myself.

I'll keep testing with the wheel, maybe I just don't understand the issue, but the wheels are slippery sideways, and I like em. Everything else should work on 1.3.1 sure but the mesh and texture switching is a 1.4 feature and impossible to add on 1.3 without plugins.

Oh no, I was not talking about texture switching on 1.3.1. I was thinking that maybe the default color could be yellow, so that even without texture switching, all the parts would look consistent. :D

Regarding the wheels, as for me, I don't really mind. Most of the vessels I build are unstable in one way or another anyway, so I don't really mind. :wink: Not sure for others though.

Nice drawing by the way :)

Edited by johnkeale

Whenever I try to build a vehicle with this great-looking mod, I go nowhere. The wheels spin, but the vehicle doesn't move. Doesn't seem to matter which wheels I use. It looks like the tyres are partly sunk into the ground.

https://imgur.com/LEfklL8

Would anybody have any idiot-proof tips for building a vehicle? I'm currently surface-attaching the wheels with mirror symmetry to the Modular Chassis Segment B parts. Am I doing it wrong? 

Edit: Never mind, figured it out. It's do to with the orientation of the wheels. Sorted it.

But how do you get the transparent cabs?

Edited by UnanimousCoward

@Ivan Cheung I haven't replicated not being able to put passengers aside from the cab, I remember being able to, I'll test that soon, pretty sure ksp will allow you as long as it is capable of having passengers.

Edit: To change part color, right click a part in SPH/VAB, then you can either click on the boxes which indicate the color or use the arrows on the sides of it.

@UnanimousCoward On the Kerbal portraits, there's a tiny circle on the left side, click it and it shall give you transparency, at least until you IVA again.

Edited by blackheart612

@chris1549 The wheels appear to be set up the same as the stock TR-2L wheel. The orientation is correct if you build in the VAB, but if you build in the SPH, it's off by 90 degrees.

The simple solution in the SPH is to tap the 'S' key once, which will put them in the correct orientation.

If you're only ever going to build these parts in the SPH (which is easier than building them in the VAB), this MM config will change the rotation of Grounded's wheel parts so they're correct in the SPH (but not the VAB):

Spoiler

//Rotate Grounded's wheels so that they're correctly oriented in SPH
@PART[wheelReg]:AFTER[Grounded]
{
	-mesh
	%MODEL
	{
	  %model = Grounded/Parts/Wheel/wheel1/model
	  %position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
	  %scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
	  %rotation = -90, 0, 0
	}
}

@PART[wheelReg2]:AFTER[Grounded]
{
	-mesh
	%MODEL
	{
	  %model = Grounded/Parts/Wheel/wheel1/model2
	  %scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
	  %rotation = -90, 0, 0
	}
}

@PART[wheelReg3]:AFTER[Grounded]
{
	-mesh
	%MODEL
	{
	  %model = Grounded/Parts/Wheel/wheel1/model3
	  %scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
	  %rotation = -90, 0, 0
	}
}

And this MM code will do the same for the stock TR-2L wheel:

Spoiler

//Rotate the TR-2L wheel 90 degrees so orientation is correct in the SPH
@PART[wheelMed]
{
	-mesh
	%MODEL
	{
	  %model = C:\Games\ksptest\GameData\Squad\Parts\Wheel\roverWheelTR-2L\model
	  %scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
	  %rotation = -90, 0, 0
	}
}

Edit: I've just discovered that the MM config doesn't work for symmetry pairs. It only rotates the original part, not the partner. If anybody has any idea how to resolve it, then I'd love to hear it.

Edited by UnanimousCoward

On 4/8/2018 at 10:24 PM, UnanimousCoward said:

Edit: I've just discovered that the MM config doesn't work for symmetry pairs. It only rotates the original part, not the partner. If anybody has any idea how to resolve it, then I'd love to hear it.

You can't, they're like that for a reason. Symmetry is a weird thing in KSP. The only solution is for me to put a direction on how to place them. Which I will in the future.

On 4/2/2018 at 9:23 AM, blackheart612 said:

@Ivan Cheung I haven't replicated not being able to put passengers aside from the cab, I remember being able to, I'll test that soon, pretty sure ksp will allow you as long as it is capable of having passengers.

Edit: To change part color, right click a part in SPH/VAB, then you can either click on the boxes which indicate the color or use the arrows on the sides of it.

@UnanimousCoward On the Kerbal portraits, there's a tiny circle on the left side, click it and it shall give you transparency, at least until you IVA again.

I had the mod installed on KSP 1.3.1 and I solved the  Crew Trouble by restarting with a fresh copy :D

So currently I will probably install Grounded again when the problem is solved :)

Thanks@blackheart612

I'm still using 1.3.1, and for anyone else who is, I made a MM patch to change the part colours with Firespitter's TextureSwitch2. I can't get the wheels to work, as they seem to use different meshs instead of just textures. The half sized platform cap spams the debug log with "Updating Untilted Space Craft" and can't be selected again however my patch doesn't touch it.... so, odd behaviour, I recommend not using it in 1.3.1. Firespitter has the option of allowing you to repaint while in EVA, so I turned that on for fun.

Spoiler

@PART[Grounded]
{
	!MODULE[ModulePartVariants]
}

@PART[accessramp,cabinhead2,cabinhead,cabinhab,bedahalf,cabinhab2,platforma,platformahalf,platformb,platformc,platformd,platforme,platformtop,trunk1,trunk2,trunk3,trunk4,beda]:NEEDS[Firespitter]:[Grounded]
{
	MODULE
	{
		 name = FStextureSwitch2
		moduleID = 0

objectNames = cabin;groundedaccessramp;cabin2;hab;bedahalf;hab2;platforma;platformahalf;platformb;platformc;platformd;platforme;platformtop;trunk1;trunk2;trunk3;trunk4;beda;hood1;hood2;hood3;hood4;

textureRootFolder = Grounded/Parts/Shared/
		textureNames = groundedpacktex;groundedpacktexwhite  
		textureDisplayNames = Stock;White  
		nextButtonText = Next Color
		prevButtonText = Previous Color
		statusText = Current Color
		showPreviousButton = false
		updateSymmetry = true
		repaintableEVA = true
		showInfo = false
		debugMode = false
		showListButton = false
	}
}

@PART[cabinservicesmall,cabinservice,hatchback,passengerhab,servicebay]:NEEDS[Firespitter]:[Grounded]
{
	MODULE
	{
		 name = FStextureSwitch2
		moduleID = 1

objectNames = cabinservice;cabinservicesmall;hatchback;backhatch;passengerhab;servicebay;accesspanel

textureNames = groundedpacktex2;groundedpacktex2white  
		updateSymmetry = true
		repaintableEVA = true
		showInfo = false
		debugMode = false
		showListButton = false
	}
}

@PART[accessramp]:NEEDS[Firespitter]:[Grounded]
{
	MODULE
	{
		 name = FStextureSwitch2
		moduleID = 2

objectNames = accessramp;groundedaccessramp;base;extender

textureNames = groundedaccessramptex;groundedaccessramptexwhite  
		updateSymmetry = true
		repaintableEVA = true
		showInfo = false
		debugMode = false
		showListButton = false
	}
}

@PART[groundedleg]:NEEDS[Firespitter]:[Grounded]
{
	MODULE
	{
		 name = FStextureSwitch2
		moduleID = 3

objectNames = model;groundedleg;leg;base

textureRootFolder = Grounded/Parts/Utility/Leg/
		textureNames = legtex;legtexwhite  
		updateSymmetry = true
		repaintableEVA = true
		showInfo = false
		debugMode = false
		showListButton = false
	}
}

@PART[wheelReg,wheelReg2,wheelReg3]:NEEDS[Firespitter]:[Grounded]
{
	MODULE
	{
		 name = FStextureSwitch2
		moduleID = 6

objectNames = model;model2;model3;groundedwheel;groundedwheel2;groundedwheel3;

textureRootFolder = Grounded/Parts/Wheel/wheel1/
		textureNames = groundedwheeltex;groundedwheeltexyellow  
		updateSymmetry = true
		repaintableEVA = true
		showInfo = false
		debugMode = false
		showListButton = false
	}
}

@PART[groundedsciencebay]:NEEDS[Firespitter]:[Grounded]
{
	MODULE
	{
		 name = FStextureSwitch2
		moduleID = 4

objectNames = model;sciencedeploy;groundedbay;doorr;doorl;base

textureRootFolder = Grounded/Parts/Science/ScienceBay/
		textureNames = groundedsciencebaytex;groundedsciencebaytexwhite  
		updateSymmetry = true
		repaintableEVA = true
		showInfo = false
		debugMode = false
		showListButton = false
	}
}

On 4/19/2018 at 1:46 AM, Beetlecat said:

Any notions on adding sound to the wheels? I'll look at creating a config for Rover Wheel Sounds. They have a nice electric car effect with gravel and "turning" noises, to boot!

Is it possible without any plugin? Cause I haven't tested sounds yet.

6 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

Is it possible without any plugin? Cause I haven't tested sounds yet.

Probably not -- just stock has no wheel sounds there, right? I've been using mods so long I forget what's in the base game. :)

Using this mod (Rover Wheel Sounds) it worked like a charm!

Here's the basic code borrowing electric vehicle wheel / rover sounds already assigned to stock wheels by the mod. Drop it in the mod's .cfg file or add it to a new/custom one. Maybe this could be included as an optional patch if the other mod is available, etc. Not sure how to do that syntax yet.

@PART[wheelReg]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = WheelSounds
		wheelSoundVolume = 1
		wheelSoundPitch = 0.5
		wheelSoundFile = WheelSounds/Sounds/KerbalMotionTR-2L
		skidSoundVolume = 0
		skidSoundPitch = 1
		skidSoundFile = WheelSounds/Sounds/gravelSkid
		damageSoundVolume = 1
		damageSoundFile = WheelSounds/Sounds/wheelDamage
		soundInVacuum = false
	}
}

@PART[wheelReg2]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = WheelSounds
		wheelSoundVolume = 1
		wheelSoundPitch = 0.5
		skidSoundVolume = 0
		skidSoundPitch = 1
		damageSoundVolume = 1
		soundInVacuum = false
	}
}

@PART[wheelReg3]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = WheelSounds
		wheelSoundVolume = 1
		wheelSoundPitch = 0.5
		skidSoundVolume = 0
		skidSoundPitch = 1
		damageSoundVolume = 1
		soundInVacuum = false
	}
}

Edited by Beetlecat

18 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Probably not -- just stock has no wheel sounds there, right? I've been using mods so long I forget what's in the base game. :)

Using this mod (Rover Wheel Sounds) it worked like a charm!

Here's the basic code borrowing electric vehicle wheel / rover sounds already assigned to stock wheels by the mod. Drop it in the mod's .cfg file or add it to a new/custom one. Maybe this could be included as an optional patch if the other mod is available, etc. Not sure how to do that syntax yet.

@PART[wheelReg]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = WheelSounds
		wheelSoundVolume = 1
		wheelSoundPitch = 0.5
		skidSoundVolume = 0
		skidSoundPitch = 1
		damageSoundVolume = 1
		soundInVacuum = false
	}
}

@PART[wheelReg2]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = WheelSounds
		wheelSoundVolume = 1
		wheelSoundPitch = 0.5
		skidSoundVolume = 0
		skidSoundPitch = 1
		damageSoundVolume = 1
		soundInVacuum = false
	}
}

@PART[wheelReg3]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = WheelSounds
		wheelSoundVolume = 1
		wheelSoundPitch = 0.5
		skidSoundVolume = 0
		skidSoundPitch = 1
		damageSoundVolume = 1
		soundInVacuum = false
	}
}

Then it can not be, no plug-in for Grounded is the rule! Though, maybe one day, it could be optional. :P 

I'm loving playing with these vehicles, it's much more immersive to drive around the KSC in one of these than in some frankensteinian rover built from jet engines and girders. Doesn't hurt that these parts also survive impacts at speeds faster than their motors can propel them!

A couple of feedback points, and/or potential bugs:

• When changing the colour of the provided lights, the lenses remain white. I've seen other mods which add lights and the lenses generally change colour to match. I'd like to be able to add tail lighting to my vehicles, but the white glowing block on the vehicle itself distracts from the red glow they're casting on the ground...
  • It would be really nice, although I don't know if it's even possible, if the Brake condition could activate the lights. I can add "Toggle Light" to the Brakes action group but it's not the same, and it requires me to press the key twice for proper effect. Totally understand if this isn't possible.
  • I watched kottabos' video (which is obviously based on an earlier version of this mod) and the attachment nodes to fit the flatbeds onto the body/chassis modules appear to have been more numerous previously, so now you can't interleave the parts, either for extra strength or just because you want a large then small locker on top of a small then large A segment. Is this an intentional design choice?
  • It's very confusing to have the custom battery and generator modules not listed under Electrical. The generator also seems to be woefully inefficient; I was able to get barely 1km per unit of Liquid Fuel, while my jet-engine powered rover could run for over an hour of real time on the same amount of fuel and cover significantly more distance. The batteries appear to attach in a very unpredictable manner, and they really don't line up with any other part in the set. Maybe I'm using them wrong, I dunno. Maybe a supplementary fuel tank in the same design style would ease the issue, so I don't have to clip a load of mk0 fuselage tanks inside the chassis...
  • The modular Science Jr. provided with this set has a graphical glitch: if you change the colour, it blanks out the flag until you re-select it from the mission flag menu. Changing the colour back, and/or hiding/re-displaying the flag have no effect. There's also some model-related weirdness but nothing that can't be worked around.
  • Oh, almost forgot: it would be ridiculously helpful to have proper attachment nodes for the wheels to connect to the appropriate chassis elements, rather than requiring a lot of fiddling about with the Move Part gizmo every time.

Although I've read through and not seen these specific points mentioned or addressed in the rest of the thread, apologies if I'm going over old ground. Keep up the excellent work, I look forward to whatever comes next for this mod!

On 4/20/2018 at 5:56 PM, blackheart612 said:

Then it can not be, no plug-in for Grounded is the rule! Though, maybe one day, it could be optional. :P 

That's pretty much my intention. If Rover Wheel Sounds ever gets and update, I'll see if they can include an optional patch for your wheels.

These points are pretty much my observations as well. Particularly the notion of the generators/fuel cells being insufficient for even modest missions around the KSC. The earlier SXT version of these vehicles gave many of the structural parts HUGE battery reserves, which is also somewhat unrealistic in the other direction. The near-invulnerability of Grounded components is rather funny, but could use a balance pass, for sure :)

Also, lights aren't listed under lights.

All in all -- this is an awesome set of kit parts, and It's fun creating kerbal-sized cars to tool around in. Look forward to any additions and refinements you think of!

Edited by Beetlecat

I did find on these very forums a suitable Module Manager patch that gave these wheels suitable noises, it really helps the immersion. Can't remember where though, but it wasn't very hard to find.

Also, I've just been doing some testing and I thought I'd cracked it! I've installed FuseBox to get a better idea of where my power's going, and during one test (Science Mode) the wheels would continuously draw current whenever you were moving, even if it was down a slope due to nothing but gravity. "Aha, nailed it! Let's test the other wheels..." But my Kerbals are still very far behind in their research, so I switched to a Sandbox save to access all stock and mod wheels, and... Nothing. Freewheeling worked as expected. So I went back to my Science save, and made whatever rovers I could with the combinations of wheels available and... Nothing?! Again they worked as expected, drawing current only under load.

I suspect there's a bug in the underlying code that only triggers in specific circumstances, but finding it will be well beyond my powers and to be honest, if all I have to do to make things work properly is turn it off and on again, then I'll just do that. Path of least resistance, as it were :sticktongue: When the wheels are drawing current correctly, <5 units of fuel is enough to recharge the 200 battery units my vehicle's equipped with, and I've squeezed 125 units of fuel on board which is plenty for my purposes. (Also, I've started toggling redundant wheels off when all I need to do is maintain speed, which cuts the drain in half or more, as well as making the vehicles much less likely to spin out. Just be sure you leave the front wheels as the active ones, or the drag will cause unexpected steering issues.)

7 hours ago, JH4C said:

I'm loving playing with these vehicles, it's much more immersive to drive around the KSC in one of these than in some frankensteinian rover built from jet engines and girders. Doesn't hurt that these parts also survive impacts at speeds faster than their motors can propel them!

• When changing the colour of the provided lights, the lenses remain white. I've seen other mods which add lights and the lenses generally change colour to match. I'd like to be able to add tail lighting to my vehicles, but the white glowing block on the vehicle itself distracts from the red glow they're casting on the ground...
  • I have no knowledge on how to do this without using any plug-ins, sadly.
  • It would be really nice, although I don't know if it's even possible, if the Brake condition could activate the lights. I can add "Toggle Light" to the Brakes action group but it's not the same, and it requires me to press the key twice for proper effect. Totally understand if this isn't possible.
  • It's possible to add completely different tail light only part which could be toggled with brake, I'm not sure which proper modules to use, but technically, it is possible. Making the lights toggle with brakes will render all lights to toggle with brakes, including headlights, unless you manually remove them from brakes.
  • I watched kottabos' video (which is obviously based on an earlier version of this mod) and the attachment nodes to fit the flatbeds onto the body/chassis modules appear to have been more numerous previously, so now you can't interleave the parts, either for extra strength or just because you want a large then small locker on top of a small then large A segment. Is this an intentional design choice?
  • I actually don't understand this too much but I believe I didn't change any node placement as I remember, but generally, the platform segments have up to 3 top nodes to make it more flexible.
  • It's very confusing to have the custom battery and generator modules not listed under Electrical. The generator also seems to be woefully inefficient; I was able to get barely 1km per unit of Liquid Fuel, while my jet-engine powered rover could run for over an hour of real time on the same amount of fuel and cover significantly more distance. The batteries appear to attach in a very unpredictable manner, and they really don't line up with any other part in the set. Maybe I'm using them wrong, I dunno. Maybe a supplementary fuel tank in the same design style would ease the issue, so I don't have to clip a load of mk0 fuselage tanks inside the chassis...
  • Technically, it's not the fuel that drives the engine so it shouldn't be as efficient as a combustion engine. I should just add more batteries probably. Anyway, a major reason for the largely inefficient generator is because it's really, really fast in charging compared to any "Fuel Cell" in the game and it's probably close to the price if not cheaper to the regular in-game Fuel Cell. Though, technically, you can't use it in space because it requires Air Intake so I might buff that a little bit by doubling its efficiency. For now, don't continually press accelerate while already on top speed.
  • The modular Science Jr. provided with this set has a graphical glitch: if you change the colour, it blanks out the flag until you re-select it from the mission flag menu. Changing the colour back, and/or hiding/re-displaying the flag have no effect. There's also some model-related weirdness but nothing that can't be worked around.
  • The issue is actually due to a limit in the game, it's a visual bug but it's supposed to work when you launch, or load the aircraft. Only happens when the switch is made.
  • Oh, almost forgot: it would be ridiculously helpful to have proper attachment nodes for the wheels to connect to the appropriate chassis elements, rather than requiring a lot of fiddling about with the Move Part gizmo every time.
  • I'm not sure if it's completely possible without making people attach the wheels manually on each side, which means settings don't mirror when you change the other wheel. Using a mirrored node turns the other wheel upside down. Look at all the wheels in the forums, even including KSPWheel parts, they are all radially attached, it's a limit in the game.

Although I've read through and not seen these specific points mentioned or addressed in the rest of the thread, apologies if I'm going over old ground. Keep up the excellent work, I look forward to whatever comes next for this mod!

There's nothing wrong with it, I've answered all your questions, don't be afraid to ask more or suggest more. I love to know what people think.

@JH4C Yup, the fuel cells supercharge batteries. Also, this was actually only tested in sandbox so naturally, it doesn't consume electricity while coasting. Though, technically it still shouldn't while in Career mode. Does fusebox show that the wheels themselves are using the electricity? Not SAS or some other part?

@TiktaalikDreaming Thank you, I'll refer to that when I am not already experimenting on configs because I easily get distracted and get lost. So I tend to focus on one stuff at a time...