MOIST! Underwater Technologies

Jatwaa

You have gone to space. You have gone to planet side. You even floated on Laythe. Are you ready to take the adventures underwater?

This mod provides the parts and tech to control your ballast and propel your crafts forward as well as maneuver your craft. Included in the pack is newly revamped SinkEmAll, this time redesigned to utilize intake ducts to control ballast.

Liquid Intake ducts used to take in and compress liquids. Underwater Thrust Blocks that use liquids to provide accurate maneuvers. Lastly, a Waterjet to push your craft to fantastic speeds. 

To submerge, 
1. Attach Liquid Intakes (at least one) to your craft (preferably on the fuel tank.) Be sure to set the intakes to closed. 
2. Then, set the action group to toggle the intake. 
3. Set another action group to toggle the converter to exhaust ballast as needed. 
4. Add in the thrust blocks and the engine and you are ready to dive! 
5. Balance the craft by applying liquid ballast as needed.

Usable on all planets! ...with oceans

NOW WITH KERBAL EVA BALLAST CONTROL!!!

How to build your first sub!

Laythe sea floor

PmoEBDvl.png

Link: https://spacedock.info/mod/1717/MOIST! Underwater Technologies

License: MIT 

Edited by Jatwaa

Just now, eberkain said:

I think this is the 5th mod I've seen that does ballast tanks.  How many parts does this add?  Are the engines just EC powered or take liquid fuel?  Definitely going to check it out when I get home. 

There are two variants. This one adds only intake vents, rcs and an engine. This version came around because the underwater propulsion that was lacking in the previous SinkEmAll that I released. SinkEmAll adds no parts, just adds capabilities to manage ballast via stock parts. This one adds a few non-intrusive parts (except the engine) 

59 minutes ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

This looks simpler and less cluttered than the maritime pack. I'm gonna give it a try.

Hahaha I LOVE Maritime Pack :) this all started because that pack! I plan to use the two together once I get it all done

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/03/2018 at 3:40 PM, Jatwaa said:

Hahaha I LOVE Maritime Pack :) this all started because that pack! I plan to use the two together once I get it all done

@Jatwaa you could perhaps take a look on "hooligan labs airships",  as it has a balancing feature that you could perhaps emulate somehow. With it,  buoyancy and leveling is automatically controlled by a GUI. Maybe somerhing similar could make "moist" that much better!  It already is good,  though. Just a thought!

20 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

@Jatwaa you could perhaps take a look on "hooligan labs airships",  as it has a balancing feature that you could perhaps emulate somehow. With it,  buoyancy and leveling is automatically controlled by a GUI. Maybe somerhing similar could make "moist" that much better!  It already is good,  though. Just a thought!

Yep, I am actually working on such, I wanted to have an autobalancer as well, just working the coding out. I am a vb coder,  its all C# hahaha

• 1 month later...

Great mod, I like how simple it is. I'm making a small propulsion part set for use with most submarine mods for underwater colonies and exploration, it works incredibly well with your mod.

Edited by Eskandare

• 1 month later...

Edit: I obviously posted this before I watched Jatwaa's very informative video. My bad. :(

Until there's an auto-balancer, I use three tanks, one of which is by default empty and shut off. I only turn it on to pump ballast into it and then pump it out evenly to both tanks. The downside is that the empty tank really should be close to the CoM or your ship will tend to go nose- or tail-up.

Also, use a mod that gives you vertical speed, like KER or MechJeb. With careful pulses of filling and emptying, you can fine-tune your descents and ascents.

Edited by LitaAlto

• 5 weeks later...

Nvm - I did it manually and dropped the JDSA folder in game data,  and I already have the community package.   I did not move the .dll however as I have a copy of the same version and it wanted to rewrite it.   Will this cause issues?  If so I will just drop it in.   

Thank you!

OLD post *****

So I am new to the PC version of Kerbal and the first thing I did was download CKAN to install all the mods I want,  however for some reason is it saying Moist is not compatible and will not allow me to install it.   Am I missing something or should I just try a manual install?   I would prefer to use CKAN if at all possible as it runs extremely smooth.   Thanks for any help that can be provided!    

I am running the latest (1.45) however I haven't picked up making history yet. 

Edited by Devinous
Fixed issue

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, TheMan2000 said:

I'm having a problem: The moment these engines so much as touch water, they are immediately destroyed, no matter how slowly they touch the surface. I've even increased the impact tolerance to unrealistic levels (50+ m/s), but no dice. Please help!

Check for an out of date version of KJR, I had the same problem. 

On 9/1/2018 at 10:28 PM, TheMan2000 said:

Thanks for that. Just out of curiosity, what was causing it?

From what I saw, it was happening with ANY parts so I removed it for now. As for the why, well, out of date mods can have odd effects. I am not fully sure, that would be a Ferram question. 

2 minutes ago, Fengist said:

Does this mean I get to post videos of your subs flying around Kerbin?

I learned lessons as well, the engines are dependent on a water resource that drains almost instantly XD hahahaha 

9 hours ago, Fengist said:

LOL, congrats on the mod. I just now found it. If you need any help, just give a shout.

XD I built it at first to be used along side with the Maritime Pack. I definitely could use some help trying to make an auto ballast, I still am learning C# hahaha

53 minutes ago, Jatwaa said:

XD I built it at first to be used along side with the Maritime Pack. I definitely could use some help trying to make an auto ballast, I still am learning C# hahaha

Oh, you are asking the wrong guy.  I spent weeks on it and the best I could come up with is a 'guess.'  I can get you the code I use on my 'computer' but it's far from perfect.  I found in my subs with 1869, the best solution was to do it manually.  About the only way I know where it can be done right with code, is to have the user tell you which part is the forward and the aft. Figuring that out with code isn't always easy.  Plus, what if they have 2 of your subs welded together. Then you end up with 2 forward and 2 aft and if the user doesn't tell you which is which, it gets real messy trying to find transforms.  Plus, in my opinion, the more things you have code do, the less immersion there is.  Code should create things to do, not make it easy... which is why I ditched MechJeb years ago.

If I were to do it again, I'd just do a UI_Float range and a few buttons. The UI range so they can adjust how much ballast goes into or out of a tank per fixed update and 3 buttons for fill, empty and blow.

But, that's just me.

*edit*

Besides, if you do it all for them, you never get to see crazy excrements like flying paddlewheelers.

If you need help creating those buttons and the float range, just let me know and I can PM you some examples.

Edited by Fengist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.