MOIST! Underwater Technologies

Jatwaa

1 minute ago, RogueWraith909 said:

Does this work on 1.7 versions?  Looks like alot of fun and might be useful for my ships which I build using stock parts with BDa "equipment" added. 

Yes, it will work. Let me know if you have any issues with it not. Also, be sure to always use the most up to date Module Manager. :)

1 minute ago, Jatwaa said:

Yes, it will work. Let me know if you have any issues with it not. Also, be sure to always use the most up to date Module Manager. :)

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll let you know how I get on.  Currently working on a Guided Missile Cruiser using stock parts but it's getting rather heavy (almost 400 tons), hopefully some bits from MOIST mod will help me get it moving in the right direction and prevent this monster from capsizing.

Having a few issues getting the engines to work, keep saying they're out of electricity but the ship has over 34,000 units of electricity in the batteries plus several generators.  Tried three different ways to attach them trying to figure out why but they just will not work on this thing.  The balast system worked fine though, right up to the point where my bow snapped off... lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm getting this Errors in my logs:

190831T164751.833 [ERROR] [PartReader.ReadTextures] Texture 'JDSA/MOISTUWT/MOISTLQIntake/AircraftCarrierPlate1' not found!
190831T164751.875 [ERROR] [PartReader.ReadTextures] Texture 'JDSAPointVTOLEngine/VTOLPointEngines' not found!

Are they a problem?

My Logs: https://www.tancredi.nl/downloads/logs.zip

Do you need more information?

On 8/31/2019 at 7:47 PM, N3N said:

Hey,

I'm getting this Errors in my logs:

Are they a problem?

My Logs: https://www.tancredi.nl/downloads/logs.zip

Do you need more information?

Hello,

These Errors exists, because the files aren't in the newest download-files.

So others should have the same errors, too.

The last error could be, because the file name got changed and the code/config didn't got changed too.

I just wanted to help and wanted to ask, how to deal with this errors.

---

Sorry for my english, it's only my third language.

Edited by N3N

• 2 months later...

Just started playing with this mod and thought I would try to see if I could generate an actual reason to explore under water. I went to GameData/SquadExpansion?Serenity/Resources and edited the roscdef.cfg file to add the line Biome = Water underneath the entry for Giant Quartz. This causes crystals to be generated in the oceans in addition to the ones generated in the mountains.

The thing is, the Water biome is all 700 meters or deeper. And the crush depth is between 300 and 400 meters. I can see those crystals below but can't get to them.

Sure, I could also add the Shores biome to the CFG but then crystals would also be appearing on land, and that doesn't seem appropriate. I don't know enough about the coding to figure out how to get crystals under water but still above the crush depth.

On 11/5/2019 at 6:59 PM, CaptKordite said:

Just started playing with this mod and thought I would try to see if I could generate an actual reason to explore under water. I went to GameData/SquadExpansion?Serenity/Resources and edited the roscdef.cfg file to add the line Biome = Water underneath the entry for Giant Quartz. This causes crystals to be generated in the oceans in addition to the ones generated in the mountains.

The thing is, the Water biome is all 700 meters or deeper. And the crush depth is between 300 and 400 meters. I can see those crystals below but can't get to them.

Sure, I could also add the Shores biome to the CFG but then crystals would also be appearing on land, and that doesn't seem appropriate. I don't know enough about the coding to figure out how to get crystals under water but still above the crush depth.

This is awesome and JUST what we need underwater. Things to see and adventure for

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love this mod!

(And while I'm at it, gotta say I love watching you fly your crazy contraptions and your wonderful enthusiasm for this game. All the reputation rewards to you, Jatwaa!) 

I also use Ship Effects and Chatterer. The issue I'm having is the persistent wind noise from chatterer, even when submerged. Chatterer does have a slider to adjust the wind noise (although for me, even at the lowest setting I can still seem to hear it) but I'm wondering if it could be possible to have the wind sound automatically muted each time you go underwater. Or possibly replaced with more underwater-style ambient noises? 

I raised the issue on the Chatterer thread as well. Wasn't really sure of the direction to look for ideas though. 

Keep up the good work! 

Edit: update: I just realized there is also wind noise in the stock game called "Ambience", which sounds almost identical to the chatterer wind noise and can also be heard underwater. 

Edited by Invaderdave
Update

• 3 months later...

Hey, I just tried installing MOIST, and the only parts that came up in the parts list were the intake valves and the aquajets. For some reason, the game wasn't reading any other parts. Help?

I'm running KSP 1.10 on a 2014 Mac with Catalina (10.15.5).

14 hours ago, NewsDude said:

Hey, I just tried installing MOIST, and the only parts that came up in the parts list were the intake valves and the aquajets. For some reason, the game wasn't reading any other parts. Help?

I'm running KSP 1.10 on a 2014 Mac with Catalina (10.15.5).

Interesting, do you have the ksp log from the load?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In my opinion, a working craft is not going to help you much.  Even if you have a "working craft", you won't be able to enjoy it much without knowing how to control it.  So below are some guiding principles on how to build and control a working craft.  Just like anything to be learned, it's a pain.

Spoiler

You'll be dealing with 2 liquids, IntakeLqd and Liquids (aka CompressedLiquid).  IntakeLqd is used to push the boat around.  Liquids is ballast - used to sink your boat in a controlled manner.

To make your boat sink or float, you have to take in Liquids/ballast and store it in tanks; or release it from the tanks.  Key is to minimize the number of ballast tanks you have to manage.

You need 3 ballast tanks, 1 forward/fore/front of the vessel; 1 midships/middle; 1 aft/rear.  Attach them to the middle line at the bottom of your vessel, fore, midships, and aft.  Again, just one in each area.  And make sure they all have the same capacity.  Don't worry about placing the fore and aft tanks at equal distances from the middle.  That's the ideal solution.  But KSP, just like the real world, is not ideal.  It's all kinds of messy.

Why 3?  If you had just 1, it has to be exactly below the CoM.  You then have to make sure that your CoM doesn't change.

You can get away with 2, fore and aft, if you have a short boat.  Then if the boat tips forward, you either load more ballast aft, if you want the rear of the boat to sink to level the boat; or release forward ballast to float the front of the boat level with the rear.

Long boats need 3 so that you can load ballast at the front, middle and/or rear, as you see fit.  Using just front and rear ballast on a long boat will break it because the middle part want to float while the ends want to sink.  So having 3 ballast tanks distributes the forces acting on the boat.

The engines have their own Liquids tanks.  Tip, if you're using multiple MOIST engines, disable their Liquids tanks by disabling crossfeed.  This will prevent them from filling up.  And of course, make sure they're empty.  And while you're at it, familiarize yourself with how to enable/disable crossfeed for each tank both in the editor and in-flight.  You'll be doing it a lot.

Why disable the engine ballast tank? they're extra tanks that you have to manage.  But if you have just 1 MOIST engine you can keep the Liquids tank on that.  Normally the engine is aft of the vessel.  So the engine will double as your aft ballast tank.

Don't forget to place 1 small and 1 large intake vent at the bottom of your vessel.  Attach them to any part that you're sure will be in contact with water ALL the time.  You use the large vent to take large gulps of ballast.  The small vent is for sipping ballast - fine-tune adjustments.  And make sure they're both closed in the editor. 

Part of the frustration of using MOIST mod is the panic of seeing your boat sink like a stone the moment it hits the water.  Making sure they're initially closed keeps your boat from ingesting ballast.

It's better if you do things "by hand" first.  Then you can decide later what you want to automate using action groups.

Start by placing your boat in the water.  I just mount my boat on a couple of TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancers to hold it up in the air.  The use the Vessel Mover mod to snap up and place it on the water.  You can worry about designing VTOL crafts in a separate exercise.

Once on the water, bring up the PAWs for your ballast tanks and your intake vents.  I'm hoping you know how to do that and keep them all up.  Personally, I arrange the ballast tanks PAWs in sequence, from left to right, I have rear, middle, and front tanks.  I have the PAW for the large vent on the left, and the small vent on the right.

Assuming you did the prep work closing the vents in the editor, your boat should be floating now.  Make sure you did not forget to disable the crossfeed of your engine ballast tanks.

NOTE:  Intake vents have 2 sets of states in their PAW.  "Status" - Open or Closed - tells you if the vent is taking in ballast.  "Exhaust Vent" - Active or Inactive - tells you if the vent is expelling ballast.  The large vent actually has 2 "Exhaust Vents", SLOW and FAST.  Keep in mind that "Status" and "Exhaust Vent" are 2 separate mechanisms.  So it is possible that a vent is taking in ballast and expelling it, both at the same time.

STEP 0:  TURN OFF SAS

• SAS keeps the boat level, forcefully.  You don't want to artificially level a boat while you're still messing around with the ballast.  Keep it OFF!  Turn it on AFTER you've locked-in your ballast settings and you're already moving.  When you stop, keep SAS off.

STEP 1:  Take on ballast.

• Make sure all your ballast tanks have crossfeed enabled.  We want them to initially take on the same amount of ballast.  Then "Open Intake" on the large intake vent.  
  • If you laid out the ballast tanks like the recommendations above, you'll see your boat slowly sink.

STEP 2:  Keep the boat level.

• At around the point where 1/3 of your boat is under water, "Close Intake" on all vents.  Check them 2x.  Now you know why the crew echos commands in those submarine scenes in movies (and IRL).  They shout the command back as they execute it. Play those scenes in your head when you control your boat and each time, check your PAWs.
  • Look at how the boat is tipping.  If you need to adjust to level off, disable crossfeed on the middle tank and the tank closest to the tipping end. 
  • For example, if the front is down, disable crossfeed of the fore tank so that ballast goes to the rear when you "Open Intake".
  • Then "Open Intake" on the big or small vent depending on how much of a change you want and how quickly you want it to happen.

Cycle between steps 1 and 2 until you have about 95% of the boat under water. When just a small portion of the boat is above water, close ALL vents and disable ALL crossfeeds on the ballast tanks.  You don't want something messing around with the settings you just laboured to produce.

You can turn on your MOIST engines now and cruise the ocean deep (around 280 meters if you have pressure limits on).

How to surface.  "Close Intake" on ALL vents.  "Enable Crossfeed" on ALL ballast tanks.  "Exhaust ballast" on any or all vents depending on how quick you want to surface.

NOTE:  When using the PAWs of the intake vents, "Open Intake"/"Close Intake" refer to taking in ballast. "Exhaust ballast" and "Close Vents" refer to expelling ballast.  One of these days, I'll see about figuring out a way to use the KAL-1000 controller with the Custom Axis Groups to have an integrated control that handles both Open/Close Intake and Exhaust ballast/Close Vents.  That way, I just have to keep the PAWs of the ballast tanks up to control the crossfeeds.

Almost forgot, like a plane, you need control surfaces to steer the boat.  Strategically placed MOIST Thruster Blocks (aka RCS) also help.

Edited by bcqJC
typos... more typos...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, awsumguy76801 said:

Are you able to drive underwater with this mod?

Yes! Just add ballast to your rover or wheels to your underwater craft and it would keep your rover down enough to drive. Also it will allow ballast for Kerbals to allow those underwater bases

• 11 months later...

I think mod needs to significantly decrease the ballast weight per 0.01 unit of ballast liquid... 
(as in make 1 units weight equal to what 0.01 currently weighs)

This is because you can't meaningfully tweak tank balance with such small increments, making balancing near impossible....

The liquid ballast added by the this mod is also not recognised by the mod PWB fuel balancer (which would have made balancing trivial if it worked)

Edited by RB101

On 2/5/2022 at 4:21 AM, Jatwaa said:

Yes! Just add ballast to your rover or wheels to your underwater craft and it would keep your rover down enough to drive. Also it will allow ballast for Kerbals to allow those underwater bases

How does this add ballast to kerbals?

1 hour ago, RB101 said:

How does this add ballast to kerbals?

Right click on the Kerbal and you can add or remove ballast

2 hours ago, RB101 said:

I think mod needs to significantly decrease the ballast weight per 0.01 unit of ballast liquid... 
(as in make 1 units weight equal to what 0.01 currently weighs)

This is because you can't meaningfully tweak tank balance with such small increments, making balancing near impossible....

The liquid ballast added by the this mod is also not recognised by the mod PWB fuel balancer (which would have made balancing trivial if it worked)

Actually I was able to get zero bubble and 0ms vert and horiz. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.