Station Module Ideas

Jack5.exe

14 hours ago, Jack5.exe said:

[A]ny ideas?

My advanced stations usually include a docking tug; it's essentially a flying monopropellant tank with a docking port (and maybe a claw; that would let you dock things with only one port by keeping the tug from occupying that only port).  I use it to put together all of my modules while keeping the part count low; it cuts down the need for attitude jets and monopropellant on every module I add.  I simply rendezvous 100 metres away (which I can do easily on main engines) and send the tug for the fine manoeuvring.  It may be a bit late for yours given that you've already assembled most of it, but it might work for you if you want to give the station a finished look.

I have also begun to include sample return modules on my dedicated science facilities.  I use these when I want to get the greater value of recovery over transmission; it's sadly a one-time use thing, but if I have multiple experiments on a returning science mission and don't want to recover the lander (or don't want to take the time in the lab, or have repeat experiments and can't add them to the lab, or whatever), then I can use the return module, which has a science container, a parachute, a probe core, a heat shield, and just enough engine to reenter.

I find that space stations useful staging points. For example, if you can have a station which you can reach, and the launch out to Dres without a massive inclination change. That is just one example. One of those for a constant fueling post for supply missions to Minmus can help a great deal. 

But other than that, I can't see stations as being extremely useful. They're really fun to construct, but in the current version of the game, you can easily go through the tech tree without building a single space station, but building them is apart of experiencing KSP. 

Happy Explosions!

On 27.2.2018 at 12:48 AM, Alpha 360 said:

I find that space stations useful staging points. For example, if you can have a station which you can reach, and the launch out to Dres without a massive inclination change. That is just one example. One of those for a constant fueling post for supply missions to Minmus can help a great deal. 

But other than that, I can't see stations as being extremely useful. They're really fun to construct, but in the current version of the game, you can easily go through the tech tree without building a single space station, but building them is apart of experiencing KSP. 

Happy Explosions!

They are nice staging points, having an orbital shuttle make them nice for picking up kerbals from rescue missions. 
One tricks is to design some large main stages to reach orbit. Docking port in front rcs is also nice, now dock something from an probe and more docking ports and rcs storrage 
Cheap fuel depot. 

Another use is science depots. Gather science on Mun or Minmus, bring back to station, use science to fill up science lab on inteplanetary ships, now they produce science going to target. 

I'm with the "More docking ports" suggestion.  The main use for my stations as is a staging point for other missions, so I want to be able to dock a few ships or modules together rather than just have them drifting around, and I build my interplanetary missions as a NERV powered tug pushing/pulling various modules, so leave ones I'm not using parked up.  Having space to store some fuel or some habitation modules is a nice to have but not essential for me. 

I guess I'm saying a station is kind like a mooring buoy, which is now making me think I could build a basic station of a Hubmax, 6 docking ports, and a small service module for power/torque/comms/remoteguidance...  

I've been on a Mir-replica kick recently, so I've been concentrating on specialized modules a la the TKS/FGB-derived Mir (and Russian ISS) modules.  I first determine "what function does this module serve?"  Frequently, it breaks down into pretty obvious categories, such as habitat, service (life support, resources), laboratory, etc.... some things may need to be more widely distributed and shared among modules, such as solar panels, RCS, and reaction wheels, but in general I try to keep each module single-purpose as far as possible.

My current project is a Mir-based station in LKO that is basically a test platform for two purposes:  (1) learning how to optimize Kerbal survival/habitability (I use the USI Life Support mod) for extended missions, preparatory to interplanetary expeditions, and (2) learning how to build stations better... this last because I want to put a fuel depot in Minmus orbit but I don't want to send one there that isn't optimized for the role (so where my LKO station has science modules, the Minmus one will have mostly ISRU, tankage, and power). 

For Minmus fuel stations, I suggest adding one LV-N per 50 tons.

You can land, refuel, and put the station back into orbit without messing around with multiple haulings and dockings.  And you can sneak the station into orbit of any body without making much of a dent in the fuel supply.

On 3/1/2018 at 10:47 AM, MaxwellsDemon said:

(1) learning how to optimize Kerbal survival/habitability (I use the USI Life Support mod) for extended missions, preparatory to interplanetary expeditions

This was a big learning curve for me.    I got the Duna contract and slapped together a craft with like 5-6 kerbals in it, added a bunch of snack boxes, and off they went, rushed in order to make the launch window.  Soon after leaving Kerbins SOI, I realized that Life support was woefully insufficient for the length of the trip.  An emergency burn back home, and they barely made it.   While setting up for the next window, I built a series of stations around Kerbin and it's moons.  Knowledge gained from that allowed me to build a series of motherships that could sustain a lot of kerbals for extended voyages. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.