Best place to put a space station?

sorry its my mistake, i entered this discussion quite late, and didnt know exactly what you are talking about. wont do that again

ofcourse you are right with  80km-->Mun is MORE dV than 150km-->Mun. I was just speaking about the fact, that with every rocket you have to start from Kerbin right? So actually travelling to different planets is more efficient from lower orbits. But with basic precondition, that you started from Kerbin.

If you want to use station as refuelling, for example you are going from Jool back to Kerbin to refuel and carry on to Eve, it is not good to have station near to Kerbin that much, cause the breaking to low orbit will cost you enormous amount of delta v.

Edited by papuchalk

1 hour ago, FinalFan said:

Dave, suppose you had a refueling station at 80km and a refueling station at 150km.  Which of these would leave you with more fuel remaining in your ship when you got to the Mun?

Well Fin, How much in more fuel did it cost you to take the fuel to your 150K refueling station so that you could use it for refueling at the Mun?

1 hour ago, FinalFan said:

.  You are contributing to the miseducation of other players.

Perhaps you are right, trying to help others is becoming a bit tiresome.

24 minutes ago, papuchalk said:

But with basic precondition, that you started from Kerbin.

That was the basic precondition. The question being about the best altitude around Kerbin to have a station and why?

It is cheaper to get there from the ground.

It is cheaper to take fuel there than a higher orbit.

So naturally Hohmann aside, it is cheaper to go from there than from a higher orbit.

If you build your station at 160K as was suggested,  it will be more expensive to get there from Kerbin, more expensive to send fuel from Kerbin and so by extension more expensive to go to the Mun.

As far as I am concerned this banter has has already taken up more of my time than it is worth and the matter is now closed and as such I will not entertain any more silly arguments.

Edited by Daveroski

10 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

Well Fin, How much in more fuel did it cost you to take the fuel to your 150K refueling station so that you could use it for refueling at the Mun?

Perhaps you are right, trying to help others is becoming a bit tiresome.

That was the basic precondition. The question being about the best altitude around Kerbin to have a station and why?

It is cheaper to get there from the ground.

It is cheaper to take fuel there than a higher orbit.

So naturally Hohmann aside, it is cheaper to go from there than from a higher orbit.

If you build your station at 160K as was suggested,  it will be more expensive to get there from Kerbin, more expensive to send fuel from Kerbin and so by extension more expensive to go to the Mun.

As far as I am concerned this banter has has already taken up more of my time than it is worth and the matter is now closed and as such I will not entertain any more silly arguments.

The amount of fuel it takes to get to 150km from Kerbin is not relevant to the question of how much it takes to get from 150km to the Mun.  In general these questions are usually related, but other situations can exist.  

That other poster, as I recall, had a captured asteroid in orbit around Kerbin.  In that case, sending fuel to the station is not necessary as it generates its own.  

I admit that I no longer have direct evidence of someone your words misled.  That doen't mean it's impossible.  

In the end, you would have a point if you said, "you are right that I misspoke in the strict case of your specific objection, but that is usually outweighed by the point I was trying to get at in normal play."  But no, you have to be ENTIRELY right and my point has to be ENTIRELY irrelevant, and that is why being unable to admit to error makes you more wrong than you ever were before.  And underneath your condescension I think you know that.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.