Saitek X52 Pro input lag

I cannot use my Saitek HOTAS in KSP because of the horrible input lag it introduces. There is about half a second delay for all axes, making precise flight infeasible. Some said the problem is common for other Unity games aswell, but surely there must already be a workaround for it. Other people reported success with vJoy but that bypasses the Saitek drivers which I definitely don't want to, as I rely on their programming suite where I have over a dozen complex profiles for aircraft in another simulator called DCS. I've tried Advanced Fly-By-Wire aswell, with updated .dlls, but it changes absolutely nothing on my game. The lag is there in space aswell as in atmo.

Windows 10 Pro N, tested both 32bit and 64bit game versions

Edited by Hyperion101

• 2 weeks later...

you use your x-52 pro with ksp? I had never even considered using mine for this game. I will have to go get mine and try it out to see what it is like. I already have the drivers and software installed, so it should be as easy as plugging it in. Don't know if the situation has changed since i last dealt with the issue, but last time i had out my x-52 pro, i ended up having to dig around for previous versions of the driver software, because the "new" madkatz signed drivers were Improperly signed and were getting blocked by windows. i had to sort my way through various versions till i came across the last win 7 version that was still signed properly (by Saitek). in  the end, i got everything working properly, but only by using a previous version driver.

is that still an issue with the x-52 pro?

4 hours ago, Chris Solomon said:

you use your x-52 pro with ksp? I had never even considered using mine for this game. I will have to go get mine and try it out to see what it is like. I already have the drivers and software installed, so it should be as easy as plugging it in. Don't know if the situation has changed since i last dealt with the issue, but last time i had out my x-52 pro, i ended up having to dig around for previous versions of the driver software, because the "new" madkatz signed drivers were Improperly signed and were getting blocked by windows. i had to sort my way through various versions till i came across the last win 7 version that was still signed properly (by Saitek). in  the end, i got everything working properly, but only by using a previous version driver.

is that still an issue with the x-52 pro?

Thanks for replying. I use the 7.0.53.6 64bit drivers which are the newest MadCatz ones. The current drivers are by Logitech but they made some changes to the tray icon (by removing functionalities like default profile) and the programming suite (like not making the window resizable anymore, for some reason...), while not addressing any of the bugs that I know, so I downgraded to the MadCatz drivers. I never had issues with them on Windows 8.1 or now 10. So I would look for those ones if you haven't already.

I have been using the Smart Technology Programming Software 7.0.39 with the last Saitek signed drivers. maybe madcatz fixed the driver signing issue, since i last messed with the issue.  what Logitech drivers are you using that are compatible with the x52-pro? or are you saying that Logitech took over the saitek stuff? I miss my old Logitech Strike Force 3D joystick... it's in about a million parts scattered around my room. there was an issue with the usb cord, and i thought i could fix it, but taking the apart meant also disassembling every part of it, instead of just opening the base and fixing the wiring..... It was a good joystick that lasted over five years, so I'm not complaining too much. I like the Saitek, because when i got it (when Saitek still owned there own stuff) they would do service and repair on their joysticks. don't know if that is still possible, but it was a nice thing to have. 

I will dig out my x-52 Pro tomorrow and see if i can get it up and running to see if i see any lag like you are.

Edited by Chris Solomon

I have the same problem, X52-pro is virtually unplayable. I've also tried playing with simpler Saitek Cyborg Fly-5 and while it's a little better, it's still better to pilot things with keyboard. This is weird, because I remember I used Fly-5 in 2015 and it worked quite nice. 

52 minutes ago, Chris Solomon said:

or are you saying that Logitech took over the saitek stuff?

Mad Catz bought Saitek and then they went bankrupt and sold Saitek to Logitech. 

4 hours ago, Chris Solomon said:

I have been using the Smart Technology Programming Software 7.0.39 with the last Saitek signed drivers. maybe madcatz fixed the driver signing issue, since i last messed with the issue.  what Logitech drivers are you using that are compatible with the x52-pro? or are you saying that Logitech took over the saitek stuff? I miss my old Logitech Strike Force 3D joystick... it's in about a million parts scattered around my room. there was an issue with the usb cord, and i thought i could fix it, but taking the apart meant also disassembling every part of it, instead of just opening the base and fixing the wiring..... It was a good joystick that lasted over five years, so I'm not complaining too much. I like the Saitek, because when i got it (when Saitek still owned there own stuff) they would do service and repair on their joysticks. don't know if that is still possible, but it was a nice thing to have. 

I will dig out my x-52 Pro tomorrow and see if i can get it up and running to see if i see any lag like you are.

As I mentioned, try the 7.0.53.6 drivers and see if you're experiencing. I said I'm not using Logitech drivers, since they downgraded the functionality.

3 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

More discussion here. Not a good solution for you, but a person there had success uninstalling the drivers for the stick and using the Windows defaults instead. It sounds like it's a Unity problem. Maybe this is something Squad can raise a bug report to Unity for?

No. I need to use the SST for other simulators.

i have just finished updating my x52 drivers, and am just getting started trying ksp with my x-52 pro, but already i have noticed an input lag right off the bat with the mouse stick on the throttle. if i minimize ksp and return to the desktop, the lag goes away. there is no lag when i use an actual mouse, instead of the mouse stick on the joystick. like the OP said, it is a minor lag, about half a second in length. so there is a hang up somewhere in the code....possibly

Edited by Chris Solomon

btw i went ahead and installed the newer Logitech drivers but kept the older SST software installed. not only does it still work, but the newer Logitech version appears to be the older version that's been gutted and repackaged in a wrapper window. the older SST software i had installed doesn't seem to care on bit about the newer driver. if i had to do things over again, and i just might. I would extract the files from the setup package from Logitech and only run the setup file in the driver directory in the extracted files. then I would run the setup for the older SST software. the two packages used to be separate, and technically they still are, which is why Logitech had to package them together with a excitable zip file.

while I'm grateful to Logitech for a newer, working driver for the stick, i am a little disappointed the slacked off on the programming software.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14. 3. 2018 at 6:03 AM, Chris Solomon said:

i don't suppose anyone could post the joystick profile they use with their X-52 Pro and KSP?  depending on whether the issue gets solved, I mayor may not program my own profile, but having a premade one for now, would let me more closely emulate what you are experiencing.

I don't think the profile matters as long as the axes retain their delay. You can test it on a default profile without any bindings just fine.

Don't use the newer Logitech one, it's clearly inferior...

• 2 months later...

i have updated KSP to 1.4.4 and and trying to figure out how to access the HOTAS profile that was mentioned in the update notes. any one know how to access it? i tried using the input menu to assign stuff, but could not assign the the axis's, rotation axis's or sliders. and the Steam controller interface wanted to treat my x-52 pro as a xbox 360 like gamepad. so i am really stumped.

Wish I remembered to respond to this topic once I fixed the problem, which happened. As I mentioned in my original post I tried AFBW but it didn't work, however recently I got the newest AFBW finally working, and that eliminated the input lag for once. Some bad news though, SST isn't usable anymore in KSP, since it introduces a delay on my emulated inputs and repeats them weirdly, which hasn't happened before in any other game I've used it on. But the AFBW menu makes me able to use key combinations which is enough for KSP, and I can live without the mode selector here.

Edited by Hyperion101

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.