i suck at this game

Now, you might wanna sit down, because what I'm about to tell you might shock you.

Rocket Science, it turns out, is hard.

But you know what?

fd3d970c53aa6ae1dfdda0c2aa7c344c883bf545

KSP has a steep learning curve.

I'm just getting to Duna too. Also, I haven't even attempted Eve yet but from what I've heard, it's surprisingly hard. I spent the first few real life weeks of playing KSP just trying to recover Jeb after my first successful Kerbin orbit stranded him. Those weeks were spent trying and failing to build and pilot a craft to just rendezvous so he could EVA over. Now I can rendezvous and dock without much thought. You'll get better.

I'll point out that landing on the Mun is more than what most people accomplish in KSP. While partly it's because of the stock game's dreadful lack of instrumentation for things like interplanetary launch windows... space is hard. Even with the tremendous simplifications KSP makes, space is really hard.

If you're comparing yourself to veteran players who go "oh, I'll just knock together an Eeloo station, no prob"... these people have been playing for easily hundreds, and more likely thousands of hours. Their grasp of orbital mechanics is only instinctual because they've done it again and again and again.

And again: I'm pretty sure Squad has said the majority of players never leave the Kerbin system: going interplanetary is the exception, not the rule.

If you can get to Mun, Minmus and Duna, you can go anywhere!  Also, getting to Duna means you don't really suck at KSP.  Lots of people struggle to get into Low Kerbin Orbit, rendezvous, docking and certainly making their way to another planets SOI.  

The more you read tutorials or watch YouTube videos, the more you'll learn.  Working out why a mission failed is also a great way to learn what you need to be doing.

Hope you keep at it.

Just now, Starman4308 said:

I'm pretty sure Squad has said the majority of players never leave the Kerbin system

It's just that those are generally not the people posting on the forums. It's the ones who build thousand-kerbal replicas of the starship Enterprise and take them on a grand tour of the whole kerbol system who are more likely to be active on here.

Gives a very skewed perception of reality and makes you feel like you're the only one who sucks. When in reality, you're one of the legions who suck, and probably have a good number of them beat... you just can't see them because they're quiet.

4 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

And again: I'm pretty sure Squad has said the majority of players never leave the Kerbin system: going interplanetary is the exception, not the rule.

Playing the Enhanced Edition on PS4, gives you an idea on numbers due to the trophy system.  11.8% of players have so far planted a flag on the Mun, 2.5% have flown past Duna and the rest of the planet trophies have been won by less than 1% of players.

In my assessment, getting to Duna does not equate to sucking at this game. To be sure we all reach plateaus until we learn new techniques and technology, but that is why this game stays so playable over a long period of time. There is no end to the problems you will face. Maybe I should try it again, but I still have not been able to successfully establish a land base on Lythe. I do not think I suck at this game - I probably do- but I don't think that, ;-)

1 hour ago, Clipperride said:

Playing the Enhanced Edition on PS4, gives you an idea on numbers due to the trophy system.  11.8% of players have so far planted a flag on the Mun, 2.5% have flown past Duna and the rest of the planet trophies have been won by less than 1% of players.

Can you post a full list of trophies and percentages? I've found myself extremely curious.

The first time I played KSP I couldn't build planes that could just takeoff. I could takeoff with the stock ones included, but landing? Never, only if I attached some parachutes. A SSTO or landing in the runway from space where things from other world. Today I build them in minutes, and even land from space without any fuel.

My first manned rocket to land on Duna, some years ago. I don't even want to know how much dV I wasted.

12742549_1712412728972888_57090352346278

I've put over a thousand hours into this and only managed a successful Eve return mission a few weeks ago. You don't suck, this game is hard and takes years to learn.

I agree, nothing to do with you sucking or anything like that. Spaceflight is hard and the game represents this in a way.

But on the other hand the game is very rewarding when you progress. And you will progress for sure, just keep at it. Read the forums, watch videos, and play a lot.

Personally I suck at shooter games, and most probably will never improve in them much, but on KSP I feel like I still learn new things and improve all the time. Designs, missions and maneuvers, everything. It is a super rewarding game when you are into spaceflight, I dont see myself getting tired of it anytime soon. And yeah, when I first started out everything seemed so hard. We all were like that.

Good luck and have fun, see you on the forum

14 hours ago, GreenLight said:

...help....

mmm..how?  We can't know what your issue is if you don't give us information about it.  "burned up at Eve" is too vague, we need details (the craft, orientation, velocity, altitude, ....) Try to describe your problem, and what you did to try to solve it yourself with as much details you can (pictures are always good).

16 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Can you post a full list of trophies and percentages? I've found myself extremely curious.

I most certainly can! 

List of PS4 KSP Trophies (as of -27/02/18) - The groups are my addition.

Spoiler

First Steps.
First Launch from Pad - 88.4%
First Sub Orbital Flight - 55.4%
Space Walk - 22.5%
First runway Launch - 43.7%
Land Back at KSC - 1.0%
Docking Two Vessels - 4.1%
First Completed Contract - 44.5%
Rescue a Kerbal - 2.8%
First Satilite - 20.2%

Local Targets.
Fly-by Mun - 20.9%
Fly-by Minmus - 4.8%
Fly-by Kerbin - 14.4%
Visit Mun - 11.8%
Flag on Mun - 11.8,%
EVA Mun - 13.4%
Mun Rover - 2.7%
Visit Minmus - 5.4%

Fly-by & Visits. (stable orbit of body)
Fly-by Duna - 2.5%
Visit Duna - 1.0%
Fly-by Eve - 1.4%
Visit Eve - 0.6%
Fly-by Moho - 0.9%
Visit Moho - 0.4%
Land on Moho - 0.6%
Fly-by Jool - 1.2%
Visit Jool - 0.5%
Fly-by Ike - 2.1%
Visit Ike - 0.7%
Fly-by Gilly - 0.7%
Visit Gilly - 0.4%
Fly-by Eeloo - 0.7%
Visit Eeloo - 0.5%
Fly-by Dres 0.7%
Visit Dres - 0.4%
Fly-by Bop - 0.7%
Visit Bop - 0.4%
Fly-by Pol - 0.7%V

Visit Pol- 0.4%

Visit Val - 0.3%

Fly-by Val -0 8%

Visit Only.
Visit Tylo -0.4%
Visit Laythe - 0.4%

It looks like only a hardcore of players have ventured further than Minmus

Edited by Clipperride

I think you're doing just fine. You are kinda supposed to burn up at Eve.

If anything, just do a little more research on the body you wish to visit. You'll find that Eve is probably the hardest planet. So unless you wish to take on the extreme challenge of designing a lander with extensive heat protection, in addition to a monster deltav lifter to get back to orbit, there are better places to visit.

19 hours ago, Clipperride said:

List of PS4 KSP Trophies (as of -27/02/18) - The groups are my addition.

Thank you for showing these.

The list seems incomplete though; does this include achievements not yet earned by anyone? Is there really just one achievement for 'landing' on a body other than Kerbin (Moho, apparently)? Or has literally no console player yet landed anywhere else? The reason I think it may be an oversight is that I see Flag/EVA/Rover Mun, but no landing... and no landing on Minmus either.

If only for this reason (getting an idea of how many players visit certain bodies etc), I'd love to see a form of achievements implemented for the PC version of KSP. These probably don't say a whole lot about PC percentages, since console players have had to deal with bugs and control/UI issues up to now and don't have mods to play with (something many players consider 'essential' to even try for interplanetary goals).

Edited by swjr-swis
speeling still deefeecult

I'll echo what everyone else here has been saying.  Kerbal Space Program is not an easy game to master.  That's what makes it a game you can play literally for years.

I've been playing for a year and a half (no hour count, since I don't play on Steam, but I'd guess that's several hundred hours, since I manage at least a couple hours a week).  In that time, in four different saves (two sandbox, one science, and one career), I've landed repeatedly on Mun and Minmus, performed many rendezvous and docking, flown past Duna/Ike, and landed on Gilly.

I knew more about space flight than most folks when I started; I've been a space enthusiast since Gemini was a current program (so, yes, I'm old, too).  It still took me a while to get the hang of launching to an orbit, launching efficiently, managing rendezvous, and the first time I docked it took me over an hour real time (first time I tried to EVA a Kerbal, I had to load a save after losing them too far away to see the spacecraft they were trying to board).

The day will come when I'll land on Duna, visit Dres, and tour the Joolian moons.  At some point, I'll probably install a mod to get more planets, play in rescaled (larger planets, more distance between), add a life support mod (so Kerbals can't just spend years drifting in their space suits, waiting for rescue) -- there's no end to this game.  You're just getting well started.  Learning is what makes it fun.

9 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

The list seems incomplete though; does this include achievements not yet earned by anyone?

I'm not sure if I missed any trophies, but I'll double check when I'm on the PS4.  It would be interesting to see the numbers for the PC to compare.

5 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

I've been a space enthusiast since Gemini was a current program (so, yes, I'm old, too)

Good to see another older forum member posting :). It was Apollo that started my life long interest in space and rocketry.  As a kid, I was promised Moon bases, trips to Mars as well as a Von Braun style space station.  At least KSP allows me to build those dreams myself!

12 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

The list seems incomplete though; does this include achievements not yet earned by anyone?

I've checked online and the list I posted is a complete set of Trophies, bar one - Master Astrophysicist (unlock all the other trophies).  However, the numbers I gave appear to be for the EU only.  Here's the online list.  According to this list, so far 351 people have played the PS4 version of KSP Enhance Edition!

Edited by Clipperride
Typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.