landing on the mun

yo

I have to disagree with Galacticvoyager, landing on the mun represent quite a challenge for beginners without adds like mech jeb... I remember playing far more than 10 hours before understanding the orbit mechanics, how to install mods and succeeding a landing, but I am probably not as super super good as Galacticvoyager prétends he is ! =))

Edited by Chumpes

10 hours sounds about right.

15 to have a design that actually lands where you want it to, and manages to return to Kerbal.

Now?

New game, hard career, 20 minutes to get the money and tech, build the ship, and get there and back.

Based from my memory, my first ever Mün landing came back in 0.12... But my first proper, actually well-built Mün landing was in the 1.0 demo, in which I landed on my engine bell... Makes me wince just thinking of it now.

All up, first launch to orbit was about 4 hours with a tutorial near the end of the third. Took another 5-6 hours and a basic guide to land on the Mün, if I recall correctly.

16 hours ago, Chumpes said:

I have to disagree with Galacticvoyager, landing on the mun represent quite a challenge for beginners without adds like mech jeb... I remember playing far more than 10 hours before understanding the orbit mechanics, how to install mods and succeeding a landing, but I am probably not as super super good as Galacticvoyager prétends he is ! =))

For beginners it can  be hard, yeah, of course, but 90% of us here don't really qualify as beginners. And there are different learning curves for people too. Some might take ten hours to land on the moon, and some might take twenty. Or five.

Regardless, the OP has not specified any guidelines whatsoever, so this thread is really more of a question and not a challenge per se....

Edited by Earthlinger

I used to go to the Mun using some kind of beast ship with nothing less than 6 mainsails and a cost over 250k.

My second Mun rocket was about 150k

My third, 70k

My fourth and lastest manned, 45k

Now, when I go to the Mun, I use a sleek probe capable of coming back that costs less than 15k and is within caveman limitations.

Landing a Kerbal on the Mun (and returning) is definitely a challenge for new KSP players, but you get the hang of it quickly after your first landing.

Landing a Kerbal on Duna, though... I haven't done that yet and I'm pretty sure the rocket I've designed for it is way too over-engineered. It's definitely a lot more difficult than landing on the Mun, though.

Edited by [insert_name_here]

I have never had any issues landing there, nor returning, and I don't think many people do. I can now land with great precision with a much smaller vessel, I massively over-engineered the first rockets. (If I hadn't lost the file I'd probably be flying it to Duna and back)

A challenge would be something like doing it with only SRBs, or on a shoe string budget, or carrying 74 passengers or something.

Hi all

As a frequent visitor to the Mun I might make a suggestion:

I did my first Mun landing playing the 1.0 Demo, with just a Reliant Engine and the two smallest liquid fuel tanks to build your ship with (hint: the Reliant is hopelessly overpowered for Mun landings, unless you crank down the Thrust limiter). 

Anyone who is feeling confident about their Mun (or Minimus) landing skills should try revisited the problem with the limited range of items available in the demo.

After I got used to the neat minimized landers the 'real' game allows I tried to go back and fly my old ... well ... junk piles.... It took me ages just to learn to get out of Kerbin's orbit, let alone to the Mun and back.

Anyway, take care and have fun.

Orc

My first Mun landing was in the 0.18.3 demo version.

FlTrhAx.jpg

I did all the calculations with pen & paper and a slide rule. Believe it or not, RCS quads and monoprop was the best option for a lander in this version.

Best,
-Slashy

On 3/7/2018 at 10:50 AM, CrazyJebGuy said:

..... I massively over-engineered the first rockets.....

My first Successful Mun lander massed about 400 tons.

No, not the ship. the LANDER!

Yes, one learns a simpler way of doing things, later on.

Also, today's Kerbin atmosphere is NO PATCH on the original 0.24 soup-o-sphere.. Just getting to orbit used to take 4500-5000 delta-v, now it can be done in 2850.

3 minutes ago, MarvinKitFox said:

now it can be done in 2850.

Really?! I seriously doubt that. It usually takes about 3400, and is generally the accepted number. Show me then it being done in 2850 m/s of dV.

In my memories , when start KSP in Alpha 0.XX , I need two weeks to reach the mun . Around one week to familiar with the game meta , and one more to Land ( Not crash ^^ ) onto the mun .

It's probably your 1st real big goal when you start KSP . After that you just want to go far away .

Ofc , for all the older player of KSP is like saying "hello dude , fine ? " If is your 1st Space simulator ( like me ) then YES , that can be a real challenge .

Nice day on Kerbin :wink:

On 3/7/2018 at 8:34 AM, [insert_name_here] said:

Landing a Kerbal on the Mun (and returning) is definitely a challenge for new KSP players, but you get the hang of it quickly after your first landing.

Landing a Kerbal on Duna, though... I haven't done that yet and I'm pretty sure the rocket I've designed for it is way too over-engineered. It's definitely a lot more difficult than landing on the Mun, though.

Actually landing on Duna is a lot easier than Mun, just pop a load of parachutes.  Getting there and back, however, is a different matter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.