Is there a solution to the "wrong monitor" issue by now?

Hi there,

after a long break I'm back in KSP.
I'm running the linux version from gog with an Arch Linux system (I also tested with Kubuntu, same behaviour).

I've got three monitors. When I start KSP (directly, without launcher), it appears on the wrong monitor and, due to fullscreen mode, cannot be dragged to the correct one.

(Ugly) solution is: unplug wrong monitor. This will move KSP to my desired monitor. Then, plug in wrong monitor again. KSP stays on desired screen, until I restart it. Redo procedure.

According to google, this issue dates back in 2015 and KSP version 1.2.
However, I could not find a satisfiing solution.
Most people talk about the windows version, there it may help to clean up some registry entries.

Seems to be more a Unity issue though.

Is there no a reliable solution to this for linux users?

The same behaviour happens on Windows, Unity does include a -show-screen-selector command line argument, but this doesn't seem to work with KSP.

It's defaulting to the primary monitor, so really the slightly less ugly workaround would be to change your primary monitor (tested this and when I changed my primary it went fullscreen on my other screen, but this was on Windows so YMMV).

Edited by severedsolo

3 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

It's defaulting to the primary monitor

I also run 3 monitors on Linux, and it does not default to primary.  My middle one is set to primary, and it always launches on the left one.

I don't play with it fullscreen, though.  So I just drag it to the middle and maximize with no problem.

5 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I also run 3 monitors on Linux, and it does not default to primary.

Fair enough, Windows obviously behaves differently then. I should also add that my second monitor is on a completely different GPU, it wouldn't massively surprise me if it went to the first monitor it finds on whatever GPU the primary is on (I'm just speculating though)

There is a startup parameter '-adapter X' one can add on the command line or in a shortcut, with X being an integer number starting from 1, which allows to force a specific monitor.

You may need to experiment with the number, as it doesn't seem to have a logical connection to your settings. In my configuration, I have to use '-adapter 3' to get KSP to reliably start on my primary monitor.

Unity configs in .config/unity3d/ contain display selection option, never used it though. I use KDE window manager to force apps at specific display, google says devilspie can do the same on gnome.

~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/prefs can contain:

<unity_prefs version_major="1" version_minor="1">

<pref name="UnitySelectMonitor" type="int">1</pref>

Change the 1 to whichever monitor you like, but be aware of the way X11 orders them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.