[1.3.1-1.5.1] UBM Extended TechTree configs 3.0 - Porkjet Tankbutt Switching! Making History, Missing History, and more!

theonegalen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just about to fire up a new career with UBM + Extended (and Career Evolution) -- Looking over the tech nodes, it's going to be really weird to suddenly have *all* the wing bits, in one single node, etc. :) Hopefully money is tight so I don't just buy everything outright. It makes a heck of a lot more sense than random bits of wing or structural girder sprinkled throughout the tech tree with no real rhyme or reason...

Thanks for helping continue UBM -- I'll let you know if I have any thoughts or feedback! :D

Edited by Beetlecat

Did the sounding rockets experiments ever get migrated back down(up?) the tech tree so they could be launched with the actual sounding rockets? :D I think I have version 2.1 of this pack, but they're still scattered about.

I'll practice some MM syntax and see if I can move them where I want them.

On 4/30/2018 at 1:52 AM, Beetlecat said:

Did the sounding rockets experiments ever get migrated back down(up?) the tech tree so they could be launched with the actual sounding rockets? :D I think I have version 2.1 of this pack, but they're still scattered about.

I'll practice some MM syntax and see if I can move them where I want them.

Uunfortunately, no. I haven't been able to mod at all since my last release due to busy work and school schedules. Thursday is my last final exam before I graduate with my Bachelor's degree, however, so I expect I will have more free time after that.

• 1 month later...

@theonegalen I hope you did well on your final exam and you've already got your Bachelor's degree.

I have a question for you: Have you ever thought about adding a config file for Tantares and Tantares LV mods? They are quite well made. Here's the link: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/73686-14x-tantares-stockalike-soyuz-and-mir-9001062018vostok-upper-stage/

Regards

Thank you @strozyk85! I did indeed pass and now am the proud owner of a Bachelor's degree in History. Somehow, I feel busier now than I did before, what with getting everything squared away to get my teaching certificate here in Texas. I have not forgotten my ambitions here, but they will have to wait a little while longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you don't mind me sharing this, @theonegalen This bit of code can be added to any of the existing .cfg files in ..\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Galen\UBM_Extended\TechTree in order to put the 4 science experiments from Sounding Rockets back into the 'start' tech node. Just copy and paste this into any one of the files (or make a new one with a .cfg extension) using a basic text editor.

// Moves the 4 science experiments from 'Sounding Rockets' back to the 'start' tech node

@PART[SR_Payload_01]:NEEDS[UmbraSpaceIndustries,!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = start
}
@PART[SR_Payload_02]:NEEDS[UmbraSpaceIndustries,!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = start
}
@PART[SR_Payload_03]:NEEDS[UmbraSpaceIndustries,!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = start
}
@PART[SR_Payload_04]:NEEDS[UmbraSpaceIndustries,!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = start
}

29 minutes ago, jfjohnny5 said:

Hope you don't mind me sharing this, @theonegalen This bit of code can be added to any of the existing .cfg files in ..\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Galen\UBM_Extended\TechTree in order to put the 4 science experiments from Sounding Rockets back into the 'start' tech node. Just copy and paste this into any one of the files (or make a new one with a .cfg extension) using a basic text editor.

He better not mind! :D

I did this very same thing for my latest career start. Kinda fun to be able to get a turbo boost of science, especially since I needed to "spend" it on tech and research speed upgrades using Kerbal Construction Time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 11:41 AM, jfjohnny5 said:

// Moves the 4 science experiments from 'Sounding Rockets' back to the 'start' tech node

@PART[SR_Payload_01]:NEEDS[UmbraSpaceIndustries,!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = start
}
@PART[SR_Payload_02]:NEEDS[UmbraSpaceIndustries,!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = start
}
@PART[SR_Payload_03]:NEEDS[UmbraSpaceIndustries,!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = start
}
@PART[SR_Payload_04]:NEEDS[UmbraSpaceIndustries,!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = start
}

I indeed do not mind! @jfjohnny5, you are a sexy shoeless god of war!

Thanks for that, I'm sorry I haven't been around. I have been very busy with real life, but I'm not gone, and my KSP projects have not been abandoned. KSP things are in kind of a holding pattern for the moment.

Edited by theonegalen

• 2 months later...

(still here - got a job teaching and am finally getting to install 1.4.5 - I can already see things that will need updates - Airplane Plus, I want to do a config for @Citizen247's Ministry of Space Aeronautics Department plane parts - Near Future Aeronautics and Mk4 Spaceplanes will need new configs as well)

• 3 weeks later...

I worked on the APP and SXT configs today.  Also started integrating Engine Ignitor support for everything included with UBM Extended. 

I also made the Porkjet part overhauls work with the stock mesh switch to swap out the clean versions with the tank butt versions. The config is currently dependent upon having Missing History installed, but I guess I could set up a standalone version. Not sure how much interest there would be in that sort of thing, since we are probably getting brand new versions of all of those tomorrow (?) with 1.5.

4 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Not sure how much interest there would be in that sort of thing, since we are probably getting brand new versions of all of those tomorrow (?) with 1.5.

That would be nice, but I just hope you will continue to support UBM Extended :) Also - does UBM Extended work with rescaled systems and SMURFF?

4 hours ago, Walker said:

That would be nice, but I just hope you will continue to support UBM Extended :) Also - does UBM Extended work with rescaled systems and SMURFF?

It should, as far as I know. I used to use a 2.5x rescale myself, until I discovered I had to remove half my mods to achieve the blazing fast framerate of 15 fps. The only thing you might want to check are the configs in the Tweaks folder, because some of them might conflict with SMURFF.

I don't plan on abandoning UBM Extended.

Edited by theonegalen

Ugh looks like Squad broke UBM quite badly with 1.5. They have kept the old parts, like they did with the old Rockomax tanks, but this time rather than keeping the names, they have called the command parts "v2" instead, so all the old MM patches won't work any more.

I've written a patch for 1.5 if anyones interested(Galen feel free to steal)

//moves the revamped command parts to their correct place (they are denoted as"v2" so old patches won't work)
//Mk1 Pod
@PART[mk1pod_v2]:NEEDS[!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
    @TechRequired = advFlightControl
}

//Stayputnik & hex
@PART[probeCoreSphere_v2|probeCoreHex_v2]:NEEDS[!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
    @TechRequired = miniaturization
}

//Octo
@PART[probeCoreOcto_v2]:NEEDS[!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = start
}

//Octo2
@PART[probeCoreOcto2_v2]:NEEDS[!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = basicScience
}

//roverBody
@PART[roverBody_v2]:NEEDS[!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = engineering101
}

48 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Ugh looks like Squad broke UBM quite badly with 1.5. They have kept the old parts, like they did with the old Rockomax tanks, but this time rather than keeping the names, they have called the command parts "v2" instead, so all the old MM patches won't work any more.

I've written a patch for 1.5 if anyones interested(Galen feel free to steal)

//moves the revamped command parts to their correct place (they are denoted as"v2" so old patches won't work)
//Mk1 Pod
@PART[mk1pod_v2]:NEEDS[!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
    @TechRequired = advFlightControl
}

//Stayputnik & hex
@PART[probeCoreSphere_v2|probeCoreHex_v2]:NEEDS[!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
    @TechRequired = miniaturization
}

//Octo
@PART[probeCoreOcto_v2]:NEEDS[!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = start
}

//Octo2
@PART[probeCoreOcto2_v2]:NEEDS[!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = basicScience
}

//roverBody
@PART[roverBody_v2]:NEEDS[!SETIctt,!SETItechtree,!ETT,!OpenTree,!RP-0]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]
{
	@TechRequired = engineering101
}

Awesome!

This was going to be part of setting up a new 1.5 career. (+Monthly budgets, KCT, Oh Scrap, etc.)

Thanks for sharing!!

@theonegalen Since UBM seems to be abandoned, would it be possible for you to remake it from scratch? Or if you could tech me on how to manipulate Tech Tree (I'm a programmer, but never modded KSP), I could do that myself or help you. 

Also, I thought of some changes. For example would like some mods to be slightly changed to the "unmanned first" idea, or that 0.625m parts should be way earlier.

Anyway, "unmanned first" was always my career choice to go and I don't want to lose that option if main UBM mod is discontinued :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 1:19 AM, Forien said:

@theonegalen Since UBM seems to be abandoned, would it be possible for you to remake it from scratch? Or if you could tech me on how to manipulate Tech Tree (I'm a programmer, but never modded KSP), I could do that myself or help you. 

Also, I thought of some changes. For example would like some mods to be slightly changed to the "unmanned first" idea, or that 0.625m parts should be way earlier.

Anyway, "unmanned first" was always my career choice to go and I don't want to lose that option if main UBM mod is discontinued :(

I always thought previously that redoing UBM from scratch would probably be more effort than it was worth, although that could be changing now that Squad is updating parts with new part names. Yemo's ARR license very much makes that process extra laborious, because I can't actually copy anything I do from what he wrote. 

Honestly, though, I know how you feel. I tried several different trees after it became clear that UBM wouldn't be actively developed anymore, but none of them felt quite right for how I play the game. I expect I will always use UBM in one form or another. I've been playing 1.4.5 while slowly updating UBM extended for the last several weeks, and you should all be seeing the fruits of that labor before too long.

However, I'm going to give the Simplex tree a quick try in 1.5.1, probably this week. It looks very interesting, although it doesn't have Community Tech Tree or as much mod support as I would like.

I haven't wanted to get into changing too much about UBM and the way it handles Tech progression, except and what makes sense for adding more mod support, so I doubt I will move a lot of 0.625 meter parts around. SXT adds some of those into the early game, and the next version of UBM Extended will include configs for those parts as well.

As for how Tech Tree mods work, most of them are .cfg file based, and depend on Module Manager. In each part's .cfg file, there is a line

TechRequired = x

where x is a tech node name. If you look in the .cfg files in UBM Extended, you will find code like this:

@PART[RetroMk1Inline]:NEEDS[!Airplane plus,!SXT]:AFTER[UnmannedBeforeManned]

{

@TechRequired = EarlyAviation 

}

Module Manager basically modifies the part cfg files during asset loading while the game opens. The quoted code tells Module Manager to find the part with the name RetroMk1Inline and modify its .cfg to place it in the Early Aviation tech node added by UBM, but only if Airplane Plus and SXT are not installed. The reason I added the NEEDS statement here is because airplane plus and SXT both have early 20th Century-styled cockpits that I prefer to be in early Aviation, with the Retro Mark 1 inline cockpit later if those mods are installed.

Much more detailed information on how module manager works, and it's syntax, is available here: https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/wiki/Module-Manager-Syntax

8 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I always thought previously that redoing UBM from scratch would probably be more effort than it was worth, although that could be changing now that Squad is updating parts with new part names. Yemo's ARR license very much makes that process extra laborious, because I can't actually copy anything I do from what he wrote. 

Honestly, though, I know how you feel. I tried several different trees after it became clear that UBM wouldn't be actively developed anymore, but none of them felt quite right for how I play the game. I expect I will always use UBM in one form or another. I've been playing 1.4.5 while slowly updating UBM extended for the last several weeks, and you should all be seeing the fruits of that labor before too long.

However, I'm going to give the Simplex tree a quick try in 1.5.1, probably this week. It looks very interesting, although it doesn't have Community Tech Tree or as much mod support as I would like.

I think that with a little help from someone experienced with modding, I could deal with the extra effort of making mod from scratch (and thus it wouldn't violate UBM's ARR license). If you want to collaborate, just hit me with PM. I read some ModuleManager and CTT docs and I feel comfortable about modding. Publishing on the other hand, is something I'm not convinced I can pull without mistakes ;) 

I'm talking about CTT because almost every mod I use is based on CTT, but I think it wouldn't be so hard to make mod supporting both CTT and ST.

15 hours ago, theonegalen said:

@theonegalen I've been maintaining my own version of UBM for over a while now with my own tweaks to it. While a lot of the core is still Yemo's work I'm at least partway to having something original and I'm familiar with the syntax.

If you wanted to take a serious shot at rebuilding this I'd volunteer to help. We might be able to section it off and tackle it in segments. PM me if you want to talk a bit

Pretty encouraging reading the last few comments here!

I appreciate a lot of the decisions that UBM makes/made about where to put stuff in the tree, and it's often a balance between logical sense of technology levels and unlocking gear progressively to achieve more effective and efficient designs. Sometimes I like the restrictions of only getting a couple wing bits at a time to force creative frankenstein designs early career, sometimes it feels totally arbitrary.

I'm looking forward to see what comes of this. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any chance you could expand this to fix MH parts for stock tech tree & CTT, instead of just UbM? The MH rocket parts are in really weird places as you noted earlier. For instance, the 1.875m engines are in Heavier Rocketry, where you have the Mainsail - makes NO sense.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.