[1.3.1-1.5.1] UBM Extended TechTree configs 3.0 - Porkjet Tankbutt Switching! Making History, Missing History, and more!

theonegalen

9 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Sure! I don't use BDB, Contares, or Tundra Exploration, but I will be integrating Internal RCS and Tokamak in the next version of UBM Expanded.

I would recommend you start with the K2 pod and then move to Tundra Exploration and Reusability Expansion, as those seem less part-intense than BDB or Contares. Feel free to upload your configs and send them to me once you've got a good start, or ask if you have questions about balance. Once they get all ironed out, we can integrate them into the main UBM Extended download for everyone to use - with credit, of course.

If you haven't used ModuleManager before, this wiki page is a good starting place.

https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/wiki/Module-Manager-Handbook

Good luck!

I did some poking around, and seems K2 and Tundra already have spots in CTT in one form or another, balance wise though, no idea.

Haven't looked at contares yet, but seeing as its not in the start tech node or something, it must at least not be in an awful palcement.

BDB has CTT integration, but I'm not sure what to think of how its implimented with its starting tech tree node probe and engine inclusion really. It adds 3 new probes to the start node, along with a host of SRB's and 4  LF engines. the probles wouldn't bother me really, except that they all have 300k/1.5m antennas built into them, and 2 also have a built in science experiment. It also adds 2 new basic science experiments to the start node as well, so there's that.

2 hours ago, DracoSilverpath said:

I did some poking around, and seems K2 and Tundra already have spots in CTT in one form or another, balance wise though, no idea.

Haven't looked at contares yet, but seeing as its not in the start tech node or something, it must at least not be in an awful palcement.

BDB has CTT integration, but I'm not sure what to think of how its implimented with its starting tech tree node probe and engine inclusion really. It adds 3 new probes to the start node, along with a host of SRB's and 4  LF engines. the probles wouldn't bother me really, except that they all have 300k/1.5m antennas built into them, and 2 also have a built in science experiment. It also adds 2 new basic science experiments to the start node as well, so there's that.

Wow, yeah. I dont even know what I would do with all those parts! Either in the tech tree or in the game. It's the same reason I use Maritime Pack instead of SM_Marine. SM_Marine just has so many parts that I don't even know what to do with them all, while some people make incredible ship replicas.

12 hours ago, Dprince12 said:

Thank you for the clear answer, i do hope UMB does get updated and you keep doing your thing, This is one of my favorite games, with in the past 5 days i have jumped from about 10 mods to 114 (currently) always looking for more realism, wishing RSS would get updated, but not holding my breath there, Thank you very much for what you do. any updates i will be looking forward to.

Thank you, I appreciate it. In my experience, UBM works fine for 1.4.x, it's just an issue for CKAN.

I also found myself downloading and trying out a lot of new mods after 1.4.1 came out! A lot of them have been around for ages and I didn't even know they existed. I only found out about most of those because I kept checking the "Recently Updated" list on Spacedock!

8 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Wow, yeah. I dont even know what I would do with all those parts! Either in the tech tree or in the game. It's the same reason I use Maritime Pack instead of SM_Marine. SM_Marine just has so many parts that I don't even know what to do with them all, while some people make incredible ship replicas.

Yeah, its quite a list the say the east! Any chance you could give BDB a quick glance over and its urrent CTT placement, and give me some ideas on here things might should go, if moved at all? I fear that its palced out over soo many nodes as it is, that moving the really early game stuff to another node might be a challenge without making it overlap onto itself, if you get what I mean.

22 hours ago, theonegalen said:

@Dprince12 Unfortunately not. UBM Extended is dependent on Unmanned Before Manned, which may never be updated again. So you'd never be able to download it throigh CKAN anyway because the dependency would be out of date.

CKAN allows the user to set older KSP versions as compatible. It would work perfectly fine if you let them know about the older ubm version.
You could add "Requires UbM by Yemo 1.3.1. Be sure to add 1.3.1 to compatible mods" to the description?

9 hours ago, Jognt said:

You could add "Requires UbM by Yemo 1.3.1. Be sure to add 1.3.1 to compatible mods" to the description?

The CKAN description? I believe that information is already on Spacedock and here on the forums.

I don't use CKAN and I don't have any idea how to set it up. Is there a good walkthrough somewhere?

@Tyko You are welcome!

I just know how it works from the user's side of things. No idea how the backend works.

The "Settings" drop down menu has the option to set "Compatible KSP Versions". I've got it set to show 1.4 and 1.3 mods too, since some of them work fine and it's easier to keep it all in one place (CKAN).

For example, I installed parts of SETI earlier today via CKAN and installed your mod manually, but both would've been fine with CKAN. Atleast made it easier to remove afterwards since CKAN keeps track of dependencies better than I can :p.

edit2: Before you ask why I removed it again: Don't ask, not sure myself. ADHD brains are annoying.

Edited by Jognt
Brain wasn't making sense

7 hours ago, Battou said:

With you mod I have Reliant engine in two research nodes, basic and advanced rocketry.(

That's what the Optional Mod Configs included in the download are for.

Just so everyone knows, it might be a little while before I get to any more KSP work. I am coming up on the end of the final semester of my Bachelor's degree, so I will be busy.

Edited by theonegalen

57 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

That's what the Optional Mod Configs included in the download are for.

Just so everyone knows, it might be a little while before I get to any more KSP work. I am coming up on the end of the final semester of my Bachelor's degree, so I will be busy.

Installed it, but its still there. Modified cfg myself to remove it. Hope youll continue your work on this mod! Thanks!)

9 hours ago, Battou said:

Oh. Ive got it. It not affects saves with already unlocked tech nodes. In new career there is no duplicates. Sad that I cant continue my career.(((

Ah yes, unfortunately that is an issue with the way KSP keeps track of your tech progress in the save file (persistent.sfs). You could manually edit the save file to remove one of the duplicates, but be sure to make a backup in case something goes horribly wrong.

Edited by theonegalen

On 29/03/2018 at 3:27 PM, theonegalen said:

Unfortunately not. UBM Extended is dependent on Unmanned Before Manned, which may never be updated again. So you'd never be able to download it throigh CKAN anyway because the dependency would be out of date.

I agree that CKAN is probably not a good idea right now, as I can't see the CKAN guys marking UBM as 1.4.2 compatible (even though it works fine) without Yemo's say-so, but would you consider adding an AVC Version file? That way your users will get automatically notified if you push any updates.

7 hours ago, severedsolo said:

I agree that CKAN is probably not a good idea right now, as I can't see the CKAN guys marking UBM as 1.4.2 compatible (even though it works fine) without Yemo's say-so, but would you consider adding an AVC Version file? That way your users will get automatically notified if you push any updates.

I'll definitely put a .version file in the next release, but it seems you have to have a github repository or some kind of online version file for the actual notification to work. My computer doesn't connect to the internet, and I have no idea how to github as a developer. Is there a file on Spacedock I can use?

(All my uploads are transferred to my phone and then uploaded from there.)

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

My computer doesn't connect to the internet, and I have no idea how to github as a developer. Is there a file on Spacedock I can use?

Don't think it can be done via Spacedock but AVC have a dedicated website you can upload a version file to: http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/ - you'd just need to update it when you push a release.

12 hours ago, severedsolo said:
On 3/29/2018 at 7:27 AM, theonegalen said:

Unfortunately not. UBM Extended is dependent on Unmanned Before Manned, which may never be updated again. So you'd never be able to download it throigh CKAN anyway because the dependency would be out of date.

I've seen several cases where I selected a 1.4.x mod and CKAN automatically added 1.3.1 mods. Might be worth checking.

For example - selecting the current Kopernicus also triggers install of Modular Flight Integrator even though MFI isn't updated.

Adding to CKAN would get your excellent work more visibility and make it easier to track your frequent updates. Thanks for all the work!!

Edited by Tyko

@severedsolo next version will have AVC, then.

@DracoSilverpath  I haven't forgotten about BDB, but I'm starting to think that you might need a whole bunch of new tech tree nodes to make it work nicely. Probably not a job for UBM but something like Engineering Tech Tree. Or possibly an extra node or two between Start and Basic Rocketry that give room to put sounding rockets and such before the BDB parts drop into every other node. How do the later BDB engines compare with those in the same nodes? Advanced Rocketry and so on.

I've posted in the main Unmanned Before Manned thread about what to do with the other SETI mods. I mostly only used UBM, but I figure a lot of people also used Rebalance, ProbeParts, and the CustomBarnKit config, especially.

Quoted:

5 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

So, regarding the other things that Yemo's various SETI mods did, and what I plan to do with them, we have:

• SETI Rebalance
    • This does so much. I don't know what kind of information Yemo used to balance everything, but it touches nearly every stock part in the game, and many mod parts besides.
    • I use Science Revisited Revisited, recommend that for science rebalance. 
    • Recommend MandatoryRCS and it's parts pack (coming soon to UBM Extended) for reaction wheel rebalance.
  • SETI Contracts
  • SETI CareerChallenge
    • All this did was set the science to 70%, which you can now do in the stock settings menu. Do that instead.
  • SETI ProbeParts
    • I'll test this one soon. Hopefully it won't take too much, but it is annoying that it adds it's own Hydrogen and Oxygen resources beyond those included in CRP. Might want to fix that.
  • SETI PartOverhauls
    • Already supported by UBM Extended
  • SETI Greenhouse
    • Has anyone tried this one? I don't use TAC LS so it seems that this is a little more complex than I thought at first.
  • SETI Remote Tech Config
    • I don't see anything that would be obviously broken. Anyone tried it with updated RT?
  • SETI ProbeControlEnabler
    • seems pretty simple. Anyone tried it with updated RT?
  • SETI CustomBarnKit
    • Definitely will be making my own. Now that we have parachutes, safe EVA from a dying airplane should be available.
      • It is now possible to set Action Groups always available in stock settings, so I probably won't keep that going in my config.
      • All the fiddly bits about the extra levels to the KSC buildings are interesting; who played with them and loved them? (I never used it)

Bolded headings are the ones I think I'm most interested in, and also the ones that look like they're going to be the biggest pains in the butt.

Edited by theonegalen

2 hours ago, theonegalen said:

@severedsolo next version will have AVC, then.

@DracoSilverpath  I haven't forgotten about BDB, but I'm starting to think that you might need a whole bunch of new tech tree nodes to make it work nicely. Probably not a job for UBM but something like Engineering Tech Tree. Or possibly an extra node or two between Start and Basic Rocketry that give room to put sounding rockets and such before the BDB parts drop into every other node. How do the later BDB engines compare with those in the same nodes? Advanced Rocketry and so on.

I've posted in the main Unmanned Before Manned thread about what to do with the other SETI mods. I mostly only used UBM, but I figure a lot of people also used Rebalance, ProbeParts, and the CustomBarnKit config, especially.

Quoted:

In regards to BDB, barring it being updated, i've uninstalled it entirely and instead added in several smaller and mroe manageable mods to semi take its place. In its current form mostly works, but there is some glaring problems that need working on ebfore I'll consider it again really. From what I did play of it though with UBM, it simply added way too much in, and completely overwhelmed the tree as is, so I think you're entirely right about needing more nodes in general to spread upon. Its engine balances weren't actually all that bad from what I found in comparison to some of the stock or modded engines, so theres that also.

I do play with some of those SETI addons also, and my opinions so far are as follows:

SETI Contracts: Seems to work perfectly fine, not found any real issues with it besides some odd syntaxing of misison names is all.

SETI Remote Tech config: Seems to work alright, no issues really. Though I also went in and changed some of the things I didn't like about it myself.

1 minute ago, Gordon Dry said:

@theonegalen Could you please check this out? There is an issue with CustomBarnKit after I added OPM and started a new career, @Galileo is sure there is no conflict:

Can you not uninstall your mods and troubleshoot like I suggested? With a bare bones OPM and custom barn kit there is no issue. I never said there was no conflict, I said you need to troubleshoot, and remove mods and add them back a few at a time so you can narrow down to the mod causing the issue. 

@Galileo: actually @linuxgurugamer pulled the Settings Master mod because of game breaking issue, and I also recognized that I still got SVT in (and it says it's only compatible to stock planets), so I removed them both and start just another new career in a couple of minutes ...

Edit:

exactly that was it: Settings Master

Edited by Gordon Dry

11 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Galileo: actually @linuxgurugamer pulled the Settings Master mod because of game breaking issue, and I also recognized that I still got SVT in (and it says it's only compatible to stock planets), so I removed them both and start just another new career in a couple of minutes ...

SVT will only affect the stock planets. It works fine alongside OPM.

Edited by Galileo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.