Fuel efficiency challenge

ARS

The challenge is simple: fly as far as you can while using the least amount of fuel as possible

To make this interesting, here's the rule:

-stock only, no mods (FAR, technical readout and graphic mods are okay)

-you can freely design your craft, but your craft must be powered by "engine assembly", which consisted of: [Intake - mk1 fuel tank - jet engine] (allowed engines: panther, wheesley, whiplash, rapier (jet mode only)). You can attach at maximum of 2 engine assembly (800 units of fuel), for those who needs extra power for their craft, but you are not allowed to attach other engines, or intakes outside of that assembly. It doesn't matter how or where you put those 3 components on your plane, but a plane must have either 1 tank, engine, intake or 2 tanks, engines, intakes

-if using fuel-carrying part, such as big-s wings or large airplane wing, the content must be emptied. The only fuel source must be from mk1 fuel tank

-do not leave atmosphere, do not use solid rocket, lf/ox, ion, monopropellant engines, or any other glitching shenanigans for propulsion. no staging or destroying part, no dropping parts/engine assembly, plane must take off from the ground

How the scoring works:

(Distance travelled) / (amount of fuel used) 

The distance is using "ground distance travelled" in F3 menu

note: FAR User have their own category, since the flight mechanic is FAR more different than stock ones (pun intended)

mk1 fuel tank have 400 units of fuel, so for example, if I traveled for 360km, and used 40 units of fuel, then the score will be: 360 / 40 = 9, if I make it farther, say 390km with 40 units of fuel, then the score will be 360 / 40 = 9.75. This challenge is focused towards flight skills about gliding the plane to make it as far as possible with the least amount of fuel as possible. Your flight is considered ended when your plane has landed/ splashing down. The scoring will be divided between single-engine craft and dual-engine craft

Leaderboards [stock aerodynamic]:

-1 assembly:

@Cunjo Carl=41,967

-2 assemblies:

@neistridlar=56,029

Leaderboards [FAR Aerodynamic]

-1 assembly:

-2 assemblies:

Good luck, and may the sky has silver lining from your flight (or trail of debris, if you're unlucky) :)

Edited by ARS

14 hours ago, ARS said:

To make this interesting, here's the rule:-stock only, no mods (technical readout and graphic mods are okay)-you can freely design your craft, but your craft must be powered by "engine assembly", which consisted of: Intake (allowed intake: circular, adjustable ramp and shock cone intake) - mk1 fuel tank - jet engine (allowed engines: panther, wheesley, whiplash, rapier (jet mode only)). You can attach at maximum of 3 engine assembly (1200 units of fuel), but you are not allowed to attach other engines, or intakes outside of that assembly-if using fuel-carrying part, such as big-s wings or large airplane wing, the content must be emptied. The only fuel source must be from mk1 fuel tank-do not leave atmosphere, do not use solid rocket, lf/ox, ion, monopropellant engines, or any other glitching shenanigans for propulsion. no staging or destroying part, no dropping parts/engine assembly

How the scoring works: (Distance travelled) / (amount of fuel used)

Ok, by your rules:

My entry, on the runway. Single Panther engine, 400 fuel in a Mk-I tank, shock cone intake.

WQ6WphB.png

Spoiler

I would advise a change to your rules, make it so that 400 fuel is all, and exactly the amount, of fuel allowed to be consumed.

Otherwise one can do this:

Flight profile:

Set throttle to 0.

Start engine.

Disengage brakes.

Go for a long lunch.

14 minutes later ->

End of trip, after a bit of a hard landing.

ChY9CJc.png

xob14RY.png

Total distance: 4775m

Total fuel used: 400(start) - 400(remaining) = ZERO

Score: 4775 infinities.

Edited by MarvinKitFox

39 minutes ago, MarvinKitFox said:

Ok, by your rules:

My entry, on the runway. Single Panther engine, 400 fuel in a Mk-I tank, shock cone intake.

WQ6WphB.png

Hide contents

I would advise a change to your rules, make it so that 400 fuel is all, and exactly the amount, of fuel allowed to be consumed.

Otherwise one can do this:

Flight profile:

Set throttle to 0.

Start engine.

Disengage brakes.

Go for a long lunch.

14 minutes later ->

End of trip, after a bit of a hard landing.

ChY9CJc.png

xob14RY.png

Total distance: 4775m

Total fuel used: 400(start) - 400(remaining) = ZERO

Score: 4775 infinities.

Ah I see. Thanks for pointing that, I'll adjust the rule accordingly :). And BTW, nice flight

1 hour ago, neistridlar said:

2 engine assemblies, 800 units of fuel, ground distance traveled: 

PtysSUp.png

Some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/kQg3z

Nice plane! I'll add your name to the leaderboad

Just flew a little over 2 circumnavigations on 400 fuel (1 mk1 tank) using a whiplash plane with an adjustable ramp intake, though I realize now you probably meant specifically the inline one and not the radial one? If the radial one's ok, here's my entry! If not, I might give another shot later, but circumnavigation challenges take a while. It was fun regardless!

16,786,772m / 400fuel = 41967

image.jpg  image.jpg
                         Cruising past on the first lap                                                                                 Results

If the inline adjustable ramp intake is required, is it ok for us to also put our cockpit inline, or does the engine need to hang off like a nacelle?

Edit: Oh bother, I think this one had a small circular intake on it because intake > nose cone. Makes it easy- this one's not an entry. It looks cool though, so I might just leave it up :)

Edited by Cunjo Carl

8 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Just flew a little over 2 circumnavigations on 400 fuel (1 mk1 tank) using a whiplash plane with an adjustable ramp intake, though I realize now you probably meant specifically the inline one and not the radial one? If the radial one's ok, here's my entry! If not, I might give another shot later, but circumnavigation challenges take a while. It was fun regardless!

16,786,772m / 400fuel = 41967

image.jpg  image.jpg
                         Cruising past on the first lap                                                                                 Results

If the inline adjustable ramp intake is required, is it ok for us to also put our cockpit inline, or does the engine need to hang off like a nacelle?

Edit: Oh bother, I think this one had a small circular intake on it because intake > nose cone. Makes it easy- this one's not an entry. It looks cool though, so I might just leave it up :)

Looks very good! The design seems unconventional, but man, 2 circumnavigation? With a single fuel tank? That's awesome! So... 16,786 km, that means...41,967. I'll upload your score

BTW, I should really make the rule simple by making it 1 engine-intake-fuel tank per craft

8 minutes ago, ARS said:

-snip-

BTW, I should really make the rule simple by making it 1 engine-intake-fuel tank per craft

That would open for a lot more creative designs, especially for the single engine craft. I think that would be a good idea.

1 hour ago, neistridlar said:

I believe you have put me in the wrong category. My aircraft used two intakes, two fuel tanks and two engines.

Ah, my bad. I'll fix it.

I got a lot of work today, so my entry might have to wait

Edited by ARS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.