Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion - How to Play and Share with the Mission Builder

SQUAD

Hello everyone!

For several months, we have been talking in KSP Weekly about the Mission Builder, which will give players the means of creating their own missions using an intuitive and powerful interface. Last week we detailed how you can use the tools within the Mission Builder to create all sorts of exciting and inventive missions. However, part of the magic of creating something is to be able to share it with others, and as the KSP community has such an intrinsic cooperative nature, it was obvious for us that players needed the tools to share their creations with ease in order for the Mission Builder to be the success we expect.

In this article, we will detail how this key-feature of Making History will work. By following these simple steps, you’ll be ready to export, share and play missions from day one!

Let’s get started. After entering the Start Game screen, you’ll find the expansion’s game modes listed below Scenarios.

tumblr_inline_p4vj1hWNNH1rr2wit_540.png

Once you’ve clicked on and entered the Mission Builder, you can create a mission using the tools at your disposal.

tumblr_inline_p4vjc3olnU1rr2wit_540.png

After you finish creating your mission, click the export button. It’s on the upper right part of the screen.

tumblr_inline_p4vjcfJloP1rr2wit_540.png

Clicking it will open the following window, where you will name your mission and enter the mission briefing notes. Here, you can also include mod details, select the custom Play, Success, and Fail Banners, the awards, and other specifications.

tumblr_inline_p4vjcul4aV1rr2wit_540.png

After setting all the details, click export. By doing this, a zip file with all the mission game data will be created and exported to the following location: Missions/_Exports [Name].zip

tumblr_inline_p4vjddA9yx1rr2wit_540.png

You can copy this zip file and upload it to your favorite client for others to download and play, just as you’d do with a mod!

To play a mission, place the mission’s zip file in KSP/Missions. The game will automatically extract the contents for you, so after that you’ll only have to enter Play Missions in the start screen and select the mission you want to play.

tumblr_inline_p4vjfrT0bo1rr2wit_540.png

Press start and play! We can’t wait to see all of the missions our community creates in Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion!

tumblr_inline_p4vjhmwPhp1rr2wit_540.png

We expect that a mission sharing community will flourish around Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion, so just imagine the amount of fan-made content that will sprout after the release. It will surely be exciting and fun to look for and complete other people’s creations!

Happy launchings!

[Click here for high-res images]

I would like to see version numbers in this UI somewhere, because some players extend and revise things over time. I suppose players could put version numbers as a part of the name.

Steam Workshop integration?  That counts out a lot of players who obtained KSP from other sources, but it would be a nice ez-mode option for Steam users, in a future update.

@Deddly, I would not mind a new forums section for expansion missions, because players will need to specify that their mission requires it, if they use the existing section. Posts could get derailed into "have" and "have not" discussions. Potentially, extra work for moderators :wink:   ofc that discussion could break out even in a new section, but it would be easy to point back up at the section heading.   

Edited by basic.syntax
removed comment about direct-loading of zip files

4 hours ago, Xilis said:

Sorry if i mised it but will you be able to set missions and goals in carrer mode whit the mission builder?

The Missions and Mission builder are a completely separate mode from Career mode. Missions are basically a Challenge or Scenario mode like you might find in an RTS or management sim and do not interact with Career mode in any way.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:04 AM, basic.syntax said:

Could direct loading of ZIP files be incorporated into a future update?  Its probably too late to ask, but, unzipping the package takes a player out of plug-and-play mode. I think its great to promote further tweaking and should remain an option.  If both a zip file and unzipped version of the same mission were found by the loader, the unzipped version (because it could have player changes) would take priority.

umm...

On 2/28/2018 at 1:03 PM, SQUAD said:

To play a mission, place the mission’s zip file in KSP/Missions. The game will automatically extract the contents for you, so after that you’ll only have to enter Play Missions in the start screen and select the mission you want to play.

I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like exactly what you're asking for.  The game automatically zips the mission for you and unzips it when you load the zip file directly in game.

Maybe this is a silly question which has been asked somewhere else, but will missions be able to be imported into a career game? It would be nice to be able to build/download chains of missions that all work together and can be set to appear in a career once certain prerequisites are met.

1 hour ago, metl said:

Maybe this is a silly question which has been asked somewhere else, but will missions be able to be imported into a career game? It would be nice to be able to build/download chains of missions that all work together and can be set to appear in a career once certain prerequisites are met.

It was asked about 6 posts above yours. You can look up to find the answer.

As far as I've seen, at this time there isn't any word about chaining missions together into a multi-part campaign, but it seems like it might be possible to make very long missions that essentially feel like a multi-part campaign. Obviously we'll know more in a week.

On 3/1/2018 at 9:56 AM, Deddly said:

Don't you think that Challenges and Mission Ideas covers that already? 

It would be great if Forums had a tie-in to missions to auto-report success and score. Even maybe assign badges.

3 hours ago, Mako said:

It was asked about 6 posts above yours. You can look up to find the answer.

As far as I've seen, at this time there isn't any word about chaining missions together into a multi-part campaign, but it seems like it might be possible to make very long missions that essentially feel like a multi-part campaign. Obviously we'll know more in a week.

Yeah... Apparently I scrolled right passed and completely missed it! Whoops! :confused:

Hmm, looks like Squad missed out on a good option here of having a missions metadata server - or even just a (set of) URL(s) if they don't want to run one themselves.

But I was fully expecting to be able to browse and download missions in-game with this expansion.

Also.. I may have missed this, but is there an option to localize your missions?  That UI in the OP doesn't look like you can add alternative language texts...