Can i change a part based on tech tree nodes?

Hey all, im a long time player of ksp, off and on, but only recently made the foray into actually using forums. I have also finally decided to start the path of making my perfect game.

My question is: can i unlock / upgrade a part, based on future tech tree nodes?

To get more specific: i have an engine from a mod, which i've managed to edit into a multimode engine, similar to the famous rapier... and through the use of GT industries, i am adding more capabilities (air breathing, closed cycle, as usual... but also an ion/xenon mode, and something akin to nuclear). what i would like to happen, is, when this engine gets unlocked via the aircraft row in the tech tree, it is only capable of airbreathing and closed cycle.... then, if and when i unlock ion node, or nuclear node, the additional mode(s) unlock.

is this possible in any way?

Theoretically? Yes. Some mods have done things like it in the past. MechJeb for example has, or at one point had, a system where the mod's capabilities would be incrementally unlocked with tech tree progress.

Practically? Well, you will need to write your own plugin code for it. KSP has a basic upgrade system built-in that can be used to do things like uprate engine thrust after a specific node is researched, but it is (AFAIK) incapable of doing stuff like adding entire new partModules, such as additional engine modes.

2 hours ago, Streetwind said:

MechJeb for example has, or at one point had, a system where the mod's capabilities would be incrementally unlocked with tech tree progress.

It s still there but needs to be rewritten to use the stock upgrade system...

Alright, thanks for the information.... i guess in that regard, its outside my scope.

Would it be possible to have a part require multiple different nodes to unlock? so, instead of getting the part at one node, i only get to use it if three seperate nodes were all researched?

And i suppose along the same line, would it be possible to remove/replace an item, if you have it, when a node is unlocked? example being i have three nearly identical part files.... one unlocks at node A, like normal..... when i get node B, that part is removed from availability, and a different part becomes available?

I use the mod below, it has parts that get upgraded as you unlock tech nodes. It shouldn't be to hard looking at its file structure,  it has an upgrade.cfg file you can look over and follow the parts and see how it is done and apply to other parts. 

I am not sure, but do you want an upgrade to be applied to a part while it is already deployed part on a ship. I have not seen a mod do this yet, so not sure if possible.

Do you also want to have more than one type of fuel on an engine. I think the max is two with multi-mode engines. 

I don't know of a mod that can swap engine modules in and out of a part in real time. You can delete and add modules during load up with config files though.

If you don't mind a bit of imagination or role-play. You could use the rescaleFactor on the part and shrink it down, reduce the weight and then use something like squads stack coupler. Then with a bit of clipping to make a shroud. Then when you unlock the new engine, you could use KIS/KAS to upgrade the deployed ship by placing it on the spare node on the coupler or replacing it completely.

If you are worried about having a big flashy thrust FX, since you are editing the engine file you could look at this thread I just happen to have open when I came upon this thread. Or you could google MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE to find out more. It might help to get jet exhaust effects you want, if re-scaling them diminishes them to much.

Not to point you into other directions since I don't know what kind of mods and game style you play. You could take a look at this mod below if you want to upgrade your parts. Just doesn't mix well with tweakscale, part switching,  and procedural parts type mods. Since it applies an upgrade to your parts and the old part is no longer available, until a new game, or some editing.

If you could elaborate on what your idea of a perfect game is, maybe people could have other suggestions on mods that get you closer.

That is a lot to read into for information, and i shall indeed see if i can find what i need, via those links. Thank you much.

As for the final question: my perfect game, is choice and aesthetics. i want a lot of options, i want them to be viable options, and i want them to look good.

With things like KW rocketry, necrobones mods, nertea's near future stuff, and a wide range of smaller mods, i get a lot of options, but on the aesthetics front, there is one engine above all others.

i like spaceplanes, and i like the mk2 form factor. the sexiest engine ever, is the j-61 "starwaster" from the OPT legacy pack.... unfortunately, its not a good option. being air-breathing-only, and with very low isp and thrust from standstill at sea level, it doesnt work efficiently to lift a single-stage to space, and it doesnt work in space.

my "current" goal is to edit that particular engine to be a multimode engine making it viable enough to use on some spaceplanes, and compatable with realfuels for more options. i also like have multiple different engines and multiple fuels on my ships. perhaps not as efficient, but i like knowing if i fly around the solar system on some normal engines, i have a bit of xenon or argon, and an efficient engine capable of bringing me back to kerbin, when i run out of normal fuel.... as such, i'd like to add such capabilities to the sexy OPT mk2 engine (and others) ..... that, i've successfully done. however, if i set up a 4-mode engine, using 4 different fuels.... it doesnt seem right to unlock it all in the same node. this topic is about getting my engine to have rapier-like-performance when i unlock it in the aircraft line like normal, yet acquire a xenon/argon mode when i get a node in that line, and a nuclear-like mode when i get a node in that line.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.