Request - Disable staging sound

brusura

What is it anyway? Decoupler has its own sound, engine has its own sound, really this sound for staging ( spacebar ) come from nowhere....Can some good modder help me get rid of it?

Edited by brusura

I think that's the engine's EFFECTS{ engage{ AUDIO{} } } sound you're hearing, which is used whenever an engine is enabled (this is why it plays when staging the engine, even if the engine throttle is at zero).

I've seen a soft and a medium variant (sound_vent_soft, sound_vent_medium) in the stock files, and the entry allows specifying the sound file, volume and pitch, which is how it's made to sound slightly different for some engines despite using the same file. There may be some default value of this pre-loaded for all engines, because not all stock engine cfg files have that entry.

The reason it can sound so loud sometimes is that it is played simultaneously for every single engine that is staged together.

Given all the above, I think a ModuleManager patch could be made to adapt this for all engines, eg. by lowering the volume (volume = x.x) or specifying a different sound file (clip = xxxx).

Edited by swjr-swis
forgot the AUDIO part

On 5/3/2018 at 10:44 PM, swjr-swis said:

I think that's the engine's EFFECTS{ engage{ AUDIO{} } } sound you're hearing, which is used whenever an engine is enabled (this is why it plays when staging the engine, even if the engine throttle is at zero).

I've seen a soft and a medium variant (sound_vent_soft, sound_vent_medium) in the stock files, and the entry allows specifying the sound file, volume and pitch, which is how it's made to sound slightly different for some engines despite using the same file. There may be some default value of this pre-loaded for all engines, because not all stock engine cfg files have that entry.

The reason it can sound so loud sometimes is that it is played simultaneously for every single engine that is staged together.

Given all the above, I think a ModuleManager patch could be made to adapt this for all engines, eg. by lowering the volume (volume = x.x) or specifying a different sound file (clip = xxxx).

Thanks for the reply but it is not the engine, indeed if you have a craft without engine it will always sound like that, it's the staging...that is kind ridicouls because there is no mechanic part involved...I'll show you in a minute what I am sayin with a video:

Edited by brusura

After some research I found and extracted from the sharedassets files in the KSP data folder what I was looking for, there are two files named the same:

sound_vent_large-sharedassets0.assets-1375.wav

sound_vent_large-sharedassets6.assets-212.wav

Those are indentic, and it is the same sound you hear when staging , I am trying to figure out if I can edit the .assets files , or just drop a different .wav file in a specific folder in the hope to override the ones from the .assets files , any hints?

EHN99sF.png

Edited by brusura

More deeper I go and more I find strange things...I managed to silence sound_vent_large.wav ( not a very elegant solution ) and I discovered something without that sound ( before you say that was me messing with the file, what follow is stock Kerbal with cache veryfied by steam ):

Engine with old cfg configuration like LV-T45 "Swivel"  , even if specified inside .cfg, only has sound effect for when the engine disengange and not engaging, from LV-T45 .cfg

sound_vent_medium = engage           <---- THIS ONE NOT WORKING
    sound_rocket_hard = running
    sound_vent_soft = disengage   
    sound_explosion_low = flameout

While engine with new .cfg like Rhino only has sound effect when engaging and not disengaging .... I am sure this must a be a known bug or something that I dont get

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.