RCS Controls Not Working - Translation

I have spent hours trying to get through the Docking Tutorial on Xbox 1, but the RCS controls have major issues.  When you go into docking mode up, and down flight controls invert, and left and right are backwards.  The controls, navball, and movement of the craft do not match.  Also, translation does not work.  When I tried to translate y, I throttled up and split the other space craft in half.  I have never been so frustrated with a game before.

In the bottom left of the screen there is a tab for docking, there are three tabs, a rocket for staging mode (top), a gear for docking manoeuvres (middle), and and orbit for map mode bottom.

if this is docking tab is open you won't be able to throttle your main engine.

if it's not open you can only use rotation from the RCS

Once opened you will have a small grey window that will display what inputs you are using

Enable and disable SAS with B button, switch between ROT (rotation) and LIN (linear) with the A button, triggers and stick for the rest

pressing the A will switch between rotation and linear mode, 

don't try to rotate with the SAS enabled, it will fight against you.

when using linear mode SAS can help keep you aligned.

It is also a really helpfull idea to switch camera view to locked... so you will always know which way is up for your ship, can't pitch up if you are 7-fifths  sideways.

also remember to" target" the docking port  you want with the cursor when you get close.

Edited by GrouchyDevotee

On 3/2/2018 at 3:21 PM, GrouchyDevotee said:

In the bottom left of the screen there is a tab for docking, there are three tabs, a rocket for staging mode (top), a gear for docking manoeuvres (middle), and and orbit for map mode bottom.

if this is docking tab is open you won't be able to throttle your main engine.

if it's not open you can only use rotation from the RCS

Once opened you will have a small grey window that will display what inputs you are using

Enable and disable SAS with B button, switch between ROT (rotation) and LIN (linear) with the A button, triggers and stick for the rest

pressing the A will switch between rotation and linear mode, 

don't try to rotate with the SAS enabled, it will fight against you.

when using linear mode SAS can help keep you aligned.

It is also a really helpfull idea to switch camera view to locked... so you will always know which way is up for your ship, can't pitch up if you are 7-fifths  sideways.

also remember to" target" the docking port  you want with the cursor when you get close.

I did all that.  It doesn't work...

I've only ever played KSP on a PS4, I have always found his videos quite helpful for game tips.

As for the specific control issues for X-box, all I can suggest is a careful read through of the in game 'controls guide', each flight mode has a different list.

Cheers.

On 3/2/2018 at 6:50 PM, Bamsplatter808 said:

trying to get through the Docking Tutorial

There is one other thing I that I still do to help with docking, go to sandbox mode, and build a target vessel with some lights on it ( batteries, solar, mk1-2 capsule and a docking port) , once you've got it in orbit orientate it to"normal" and set SAS to hold, turn on the lights and go back to the space port to launch a ship to do the docking.

Build another launcher, with a Mk1-2 capsule, put a small battery (the one with the green light) in the middle of the two drivers windows, so you will have a visual reminder of where the "top" is.

then when you get close enough to begin trying to dock, switch the camera view to 'lock', now orientate/rotate your view so that the top of the craft is 'up' in your view.

I hope this helps. Don't give up.

10 minutes ago, Leopard said:

translation works here in docking mode, however go into "fine" mode with the blue icons and then linear mode works as it should, but rotation mode simply does nothing

Stay in docking mode, and switch between LIN and ROT, to rotate the SAS must be turned off. Otherwise the reaction wheels will fight the RCS thrusters.

My two tips that I learned the hard way:

1) Choose the correct camera mode (I believe "Locked" is the one). Otherwise the controls dont match the directions.

2) Propperly place the rcs thrusters. If you place then wrong (not enough) some maneuvers may not be possible. (for example oyu could be able to move only in 2 axis instead of three)

On 07/03/2018 at 5:53 AM, Bamsplatter808 said:

Can someone with an Xbox one actually confirm if they are having the same problem in the docking tutorial.  Even in locked view, right is left and left is right.  Y axis is also inverted from normal flight controls, and translation still doesn't work.  

Can't confirm as of yet. All I know is RT to go backwards, LT to go forwards. I usually experiment with the sticks and look at the prograde marker on the navball (in target mode. Helps if you think your drifting). 

Youll have to get used to the inversion, check your controls in case something has screwed up. If its not regular, and it inverts only every now and then, please tell us.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.