Linear Docking mode Joystick support?

Hey guys!

So, I find that using my joystick is really helpful for docking. When I switch to docking mode, the game does in fact use the axis mappings I made for translation. However, it also superimposes these controls with regular flight, so my ship is rotating as i'm trying to translate.

And no, this isn't imbalanced RCS. If I just use the keys (IJKLHN) dedicated for translation, there is no rotation.

Is there some setting I am missing here? I'm in translation mode, but switching to/from rotation mode makes no difference.

Figured it out. When mapping the Axes, you select which modes you want that axis to be used in.

In this case, Rotation as well as Translation axes all default to enabled in every single mode. I think this is quite a ridiculous default setting, as one would expect Translation to only work while in translation mode, Rotation only in staging or rotation, etc etc.

I get on better with a gamepad rather than a joystick. The two sticks can be used for all three rotation axes plus fore/aft translation, with the d-pad for the other two. I put pitch/yaw on the left stick as this works better for rockets and in space.

I'd like to try using a flight yoke and pedals along with a separate stick for translation. Could take some skill to coordinate all six axes at once though!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.