[KSP 1.4.2] Better Looking Oceans [v1.3.0.3] [01 April 2018]

Galileo

Better-Looking-Oceans.svg?style=flat-squ   total.svg?style=flat-square   CKAN-Indexed-brightgreen.svg?style=flat-

JwFSGP4.png

This mod intends to give users a decent alternative to scatterer oceans. If the scatterer ocean performance hit is too much for your system, this mod may provide you some relief and a little bit of eye candy. While this mod does not match scatterer in quality, it does look a lot better than stock oceans, in my opinion.

There are 3 different versions:

• High Resolution:     2048x2048  textures 
  • Medium Resolution:     1024x1024  textures
  • Low Resolution:     512x512  textures (this is also the stock resolution)

This mod disables Scatterer's ocean shaders so you don't have to worry about doing that.

Also works fine along side SVE and SVT.

Only works for stock oceanic bodies (Kerbin, Laythe, Eve) and GPP (Gael, Tellumo, Tarsiss, Hadrian) oceanic bodies.

Change log

• Update for 1.4.2
  • Removed MiniAVC; install full AVC to get update notifications

TO INSTALL:

1. Install the latest kopernicus (https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases/)
  2. Drop the BLO folder into your GameData folder.

some screenshots:

Spoiler

Le4eqe1.png

XlUGrLV.png
DPeDdvp.pngOE6q8gk.png

QMHNn2z.png
5WLVCMz.jpg
szg4UW1.jpg

Known Issues:

Spoiler
  • With Scatterer installed, while the scatterer ocean shaders are disabled, it still removes the underwater color almost entirely, and will look like this:
    Spoiler

4TYA6AL.png?1
    fC0NaWh.png?1
    XZQa8bd.png?1

I will bring this up to the Scatterer dev and hopefully a solution is found.

DOWNLOAD HERE
CKAN-Indexed-brightgreen.svg?style=flat-

CC BY-NC-ND

Edited by Galileo

Am i missing something, or is this just not doing anything?

Top is stock, bottom is with only BLO, kopernicus, & modulemanager installed.

Oh boy I am a dummy. I removed modular flight integrator when testing for something else. Put it back and it's beautiful.

Now I'm seeing the sun through underwater terrain, however. Known issue?

Edited by theonegalen

4 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Am i missing something, or is this just not doing anything?

Top is stock, bottom is with only BLO, kopernicus, & modulemanager installed.

Oh boy I am a dummy. I removed modular flight integrator when testing for something else. Put it back and it's beautiful.

Now I'm seeing the sun through underwater terrain, however. Known issue?

Are you using scatterer as well?

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

I am not. Nothing but ModularFlightIntegrator, Kopernicus, mm, and BLO.

I’d say check to see if it happens in stock too. If it does, bring it up with the Kopernicus dev because all I did was add a small cfg and some textures. :) 

Edited by Galileo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First of all: Very nice mod that does exactly what it promises without hurting the FPS at all, at least for me.

However, apart from the actual BLO mod I would like to talk about a more general issue in regards to the water in KSP. It's a visual glitch that once seen can not be unseen and therefore really annoys me. The problem is hard to describe but it is visible on the second screenshot from JadeOfMaar here on the first page of the thread: When the camera is in low altitude above the water a thin "area" is visible on the water, which has a different color from the surrounding water. That area also moves with the camera and varies in size which depends on the angle and zoom of the camera. I hope you guys see it on the screenshot and understand what I mean. If not, then I can edit a marker on the screenshot, too.

That glitch has nothing to do with this mod because it's also there in vanilla KSP but I thought maybe somebody here know the reason for this issue. By the way, when using the scatterer mod the bug is not visible. Unfortunately, scatterer hurts my FPS way too much to use it even if I only enable the necessary alternative ocean shaders of the mod. Oh well...I wish there would be an easy fix for that :/

On 4/3/2018 at 10:12 AM, Flachzang said:

When the camera is in low altitude above the water a thin "area" is visible on the water, which has a different color from the surrounding water. That area also moves with the camera and varies in size which depends on the angle and zoom of the camera. I hope you guys see it on the screenshot and understand what I mean. If not, then I can edit a marker on the screenshot, too.

That glitch has nothing to do with this mod because it's also there in vanilla KSP but I thought maybe somebody here know the reason for this issue. By the way, when using the scatterer mod the bug is not visible. Unfortunately, scatterer hurts my FPS way too much to use it even if I only enable the necessary alternative ocean shaders of the mod. Oh well...I wish there would be an easy fix for that :/

This is a KSP bug. They talk about it in the last week's KSP Weekly

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Agustin said:

THIS IS NOT WORKING FOR ME ON 1.5.1

A useful data point, sure... though one piece of advice, it's generally a good idea to avoid ALL CAPS when posting.  Doing so makes it sound like you're shouting, which of course wouldn't be an appropriate tone to take with a modder (who, after all, is providing the results of their hard work for free to everyone, and therefore don't owe anybody anything).

I'm sure what you meant to say was something more like this?

Wow, great-looking mod!  I haven't been able to get it to work on KSP 1.5.1, though.  Is this a known issue?  Thanks!

...or words to that effect.  :)

Alright, @Snark  I take it all back for that one... ;)

--

Is that strange band in any way related to the occasional non-stop glow that appears under my craft from time to time? maybe these are entirely different artifacts. Also, not likely to be due to BLO.

Totally torn between it and Scatterer's water shaders. It really looks good!

Edited by Beetlecat

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.