Poll: Are you buying the "Making History" DLC?

Yakuzi

Poll: Are you buying the "Making History" DLC?  

444 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting the Making History DLC?

• Yes, just shut up and take my money!
    • Yes, I'm getting it for free since I bought KSP before May 2013
    • Maybe, I'll check out the reviews/bug reports first
    • No, I dont have the funds
    • No, the DLC content doesn't appeal to me
    • No, I can't accept the new EULA and may have to stop updating/playing KSP altogether
    • Other (please post below)

A number of posts have been moved from this thread to the EULA discussion thread to reduce repetitive discussions. Please stick to the topic of this thread, which is whether or not you're getting Making History. 

Answer: yes, as an early purchaser. :D

4 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

conventional wisdom on the forum about KSP's development is that a lot of stuff in the game has been (and remains) sub-par, a lot of stuff should have been more 'finished' for a game at release and is still waiting to be updated, and a lot of hubub about DLCs and expansions has been about the funding and support of future development, including the fixing of some of these issues.

I think it's a stretch to say that's the "conventional wisdom".  There are all kinds of folks here with all kinds of opinions.

1. Some people are delighted with KSP, and as far as they're concerned, it was "finished" long ago and anything after this is just icing on the cake.
  2. Some people think it's "unfinished", i.e. doesn't have stuff that they think the money they paid entitled them to, and they have a specific, reasonable list of things that they feel must be added in order to call it "complete".
  3. Some people are just never happy and will always say it's "unfinished" because what they want is infinite stuff for free.

(No, I'm not saying that you or anyone here in this thread is in the third category.  But yes, there exist people like that).

There are plenty of examples of all of the above categories in the forum.  I gather you're in #2.  Myself, I'm in #1.  Neither one of us is in a position to call the other "wrong," since it's a matter of personal opinion and taste.

But to say that it's the conventional wisdom in the forums that it's #2 is misleading, in my opinion, unless you've got statistics to back that up.  You can't say that's the "conventional wisdom" because I don't think there is a consensus.

Of course, you're perfectly within your rights to say that you feel gypped because you plunked down however-many-dollars and you don't feel that KSP delivered value for money.  That's the real definition of what "unfinished" means, right?

Myself?  I consider it "finished", in the sense that I paid US$27 for a product that has given (and continues to give) me literally thousands of hours of entertainment, which I think is an absolutely stellar return on investment, so I don't see how I could reasonably call it "unfinished" in that sense.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what "finished" means, here?  I guess that's probably the biggest problem I have with assertions about KSP being "unfinished":  specifically, a definition of "unfinished" that is, 1. specific, and 2. economically possible.  Not saying that there can't be such a definition, simply that talk of "unfinished" doesn't mean much unless one specifies what one means by that.  :wink:

I am a history buff, so the new parts have appeal to me alone. But I am  also not a bad story teller. I have done it with city builders like the whole Caesar series , and also the unlikely platform of Out of the Park Baseball (I like statistics too). So I am curious about the scenario editor.

There are ancient ruins on Kerbin whose mysteries lie beyond our planet. You must voyage beyond Kerbin to find the answers to these mysteries, but beware, the answers that you seek might not be what you expect, and perhaps - even answers you wished you had never discovered. 

getting it for free. But if i wasn't then no i would NOT buy it. I can make my own parts so....Multiplayer is THE ONLY thing that matters to me and THE ONLY way they will get another penny from me. It was the reason I bought the game in the first place. But since we now have a great stable multiplayer mod Luna Multiplayer I guess that option is off the table also. If any money is spent it will go to the mod maker in the form of a donation. Since 2013-2014 i have been asking about multiplayer to the point of almost getting banned from these forums.(and i was a moderator at one point lol) To this day I can not get a definitive answer from the devs and they refuse to answer a simple question on the topic. You snooze you loose squad

Edited by Redneck

Purchased early so I get it for free. I think. I think I moved to Steam after the cutoff date, so I'm not sure how that's going to work. The historic parts and mission editor are two things I'm only really half-interested in, and I definitely wouldn't pay $15 for it when that money could be spent elsewhere.

7 hours ago, Snark said:

I think it's a stretch to say that's the "conventional wisdom".  There are all kinds of folks here with all kinds of opinions.

Hmm, semantics tbh. I don't think you've addressed the point of my post at all. But I'll have a little nibble here. It's conventional wisdom that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, and yet scruffy books are thrown away in preference to neat new copies all the time. Conventional wisdom doesn't mean truth or consensus, it means general acceptance. You can accept all kinds of things without agreeing with them. Personally, my experience of the forum is substantially coloured by the requests and remarks of the dissatisfied, in many different shades, over various often-personal bugbears and issues. I have often not agreed with them, but that doesn't mean dissatisfaction hasn't been and isn't a major theme of my experience of the forum's activity. YMMV. When it comes to statistics, I would have thought the moderator team was more empowered to access that sort of thing than a humble denizen like myself, so you tell me?

As for the finished question, we'd have to take that on a case by case basis over each issue to draw any meaningful conclusions, and that wouldn't really belong here in this thread. In your opinion it's all good, in others' it's not. Good for you.

Gtg now, work beckons :)

Initially, I was going to buy it for the parachutes, and I was surprised to find that those were added to the base game.  I know parachute mod have been available, but I feel like parachutes are one of the best candidates for being added to the stock game.

I wasn’t sure if I was going the get Making History given that the parachutes were in the main game, but I saw today that they are adding new tank diameters.  I often find myself wanting a diameter in between the medium and large tanks when playing stock, so I think I’ll get the DLC on release.  The extra parts will add some good variety to stock anyway, and I’m sure people will come up with neat missions.

And I really like KSP and want them to keep adding new items to it.  I can’t wait to see what modders can do with the mission system.

I'm a little worried that, if I buy the expansion, TT can legally harvest my info, but only :funds:15? That's a pretty good deal. I'll definitely hold out on getting the update before the EULA stuff gets sorted out. But still... 15 funds!

Absolutely not.

Paid DLCs are something that should not be supported. One of the biggest reasons i bought this game, is because there were no DLCs. All the advertised content was there to play with after purchasing it. I hope this game does go the Paradox way of releasing millions of overpriced content packs. 

Depends. Depends on whether SQUAD/TT ever fixes their game engine, or choice thereof. Specifically the GC freezes. I'd pay considerably more than the going price for the DLC for this.

Official multiplayer might tempt me too, but the content as currently advertised is decidedly "meh".

Edited by steve_v

On 3/6/2018 at 10:49 PM, Ty Tan Tu said:

I am a history buff, so the new parts have appeal to me alone. But I am  also not a bad story teller. I have done it with city builders like the whole Caesar series , and also the unlikely platform of Out of the Park Baseball (I like statistics too). So I am curious about the scenario editor.

There are ancient ruins on Kerbin whose mysteries lie beyond our planet. You must voyage beyond Kerbin to find the answers to these mysteries, but beware, the answers that you seek might not be what you expect, and perhaps - even answers you wished you had never discovered. 

You need to start writing, my friend!!! (If you aren't already) :)

I'm ok with expansions or paying $15 to Squad, but the contented did not seem interesting to me.

Reasons:

- I like to play on a single save, doing progress and saving it. From what I saw, this missions will be something totally apart from the save games.

-  Didn't saw any new part that I want and don't alrealdy have (mods :))

- I like things "Kerbal", or with only some inspiration/references in real vehicles, not full replicas.

- I like more "Near Future Tech" (balanced towards the stock game), than historic things.

The EULA makes me hostile and aggressive, but I'm still going to go ahead with the DLC for two reasons:  it predates that Bravo Sierra, and I have a strong interest in the historical missions and extended stock(ish) parts.

If they abuse the EULA, or even attempt to use it for anything even remotely inappropriate, it will be the last thing I buy from them.  Ever.

On 3/5/2018 at 4:17 PM, Snark said:

If a person's opinion is "it would be nice to have free cars," then that's certainly a valid opinion.  And nobody can argue with that, really.  Heck, I'd like a free car, myself.  :)

Yes, but would you download a car?  :wink:

Personally though, I'd rather have free car insurance.  The car part is actually the cheap part.  At least in these parts..

as i don't have KSP on steam i don't know my hours spend, but i guess a bit above 500 easy. Alot of time for $23.

So, yeah, i would even spend the 10€ for the DLC even if i wouldn't play it much anymore... Some companies just deserve their earning, and i think KSP belongs to that. EA/Ubicrap f.e. i don't even copy anymore^^

I'm buying it. KSP has brought me many many hours of joy, over 360 hours in fact. i'd say that an additional $15 for more content after receiving so many free updates to my purchase in late 2013 (few months after the cut-off) is a fair investment as a thanks for making something I have loved and enjoyed.

To be honest I don't think the base game will ever be how I personally want it, but the amazing modding community caters to the things I like that squad hasn't so. Win/win in my eyes

Yes, I'll be getting the DLC, and as much as anything I'll be getting it to continue supporting the Squad staff. I really like our incremental ksp updates and QA reps, and I'm sure they can't continue indefinitely without support. Also, I got KSP for $14! That's criminal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.