Poll: Are you buying the "Making History" DLC?

Yakuzi

Poll: Are you buying the "Making History" DLC?  

444 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting the Making History DLC?

• Yes, just shut up and take my money!
    • Yes, I'm getting it for free since I bought KSP before May 2013
    • Maybe, I'll check out the reviews/bug reports first
    • No, I dont have the funds
    • No, the DLC content doesn't appeal to me
    • No, I can't accept the new EULA and may have to stop updating/playing KSP altogether
    • Other (please post below)

On 3/11/2018 at 3:25 PM, Jett_Quasar said:

I actually have 2 versions of the game, one on Steam and the other I bought through the KSP web site (unfortunately in November of 2013).  Which version of the game should I buy the DLC for?

- Jett

Well, if you mean which one would be better for you to use/interact with, that just depends on if you like using Steam or not. It seems you do, or you wouldn't have bought it a second time on Steam.

If you mean which one would be better for "supporting Squad" monetarily, well that breaks down as follows:

If you want some of your money to go to Steam and the rest of your money to go to Take-Two Interactive, then you should buy it on Steam.

If you want all of your money to go to Take-Two Interactive, then you should buy it on the KSP Website.

If you want some/all of your money to go to Squad directly, that's no longer an option since they no longer own the KSP IP and aren't the ones selling the DLC (see above).

And if you want any money to go towards continuing to employ the people who made KSP up to 1.2, well almost all of them left the team by the time 1.2 released. With a few exceptions, the people currently at Squad have only made 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.3, 1.3.1, and 1.4 (and of course are about to release 1.4.1 and the DLC). I am personally a big fan of the localization work the current Squad team has done; I think that it's great that the game can be more accessible to more people.

I'm not making judgements or saying who you should or should not support. I just want everyone to understand that when they say "I want to support Squad" that they're only able to do so indirectly via Take-Two Interactive if and only if Take-Two continues to employ Squad. Also, I strongly suspect that Squad is being paid to continue to develop KSP and whether DLC sales are good or bad won't change what Take-Two pays Squad for their work.

Take-Two will decide if Squad keeps working on KSP, and while that decision might depend on sales, it might also just depend on what Take-Two wants to do with their product regardless of how well the DLC does.

I just want everyone to be informed of the situation, if they care to be, so they can make the decisions that work best for them.

Edited by Mako
Fix inaccuracies

On 3/4/2018 at 6:49 PM, Raptor9 said:

I bought KSP early enough to qualify for the free-ness, but I'm still going to purchase it to support further game development and support.  I bought a copy of KSP for someone last week, so I'll probably buy the DLC for them too if they can't get it themselves.

Still have no clue if I'm going to build a Saturn V or a "Soviet green" R-7 rocket yet; they're going to be the first parts I mess with.  I guess I'll see what parts my mouse-hand instinctively clicks on first and go from there. :)

You can build a pretty convincing R-7 with the new 1.4 fairings alone.

I don't think the DLC is worth it compared to the content mod makers bring. Take Two and Squad shouldn't try to compete with mod makers for parts and content, but rather should focus on releasing major desired functionality expansions to the core game such as multiplayer, life support, expandable bases and airports, mining as a means for funding a commercial space program, new officially supported planets or systems, terrain manipulation and underground bases, or even AI. To be honest, I was really hoping the first expansion I would pay for is the long-awaited officially supported multiplayer. I still am, and will gladly buy it when available. 

The DLC makes it harder for me as a content mod maker since I won't have the DLC to test my GAP contracts. I feel like as a contacts mod maker that I have to chuck down change for stuff that doesn't seem all that unique compared to what is already available freely to the community, just to test and support my contracts. Perhaps the new EULA is designed to provide a cease and desist to ensure profitability for DLC thus stifling part and content creation?

Thus I think TT should focus on paid functionality expansions, not paid DLC. Continue supporting and catering to the modding community that makes KSP great. Give us functionality to work with. Heck, even an official in-game mod installer, hosted service, and config would go a long way. Anyone can make parts and content and test concepts and challenge norms. But it takes a great game developer to steer the game to what the people really want and turn those great ideas into permanent gold. The best ideas need the development talent at Squad and Take Two to turn into reality.

Edited by inigma

I'm still unsure if I want to get it or not. On the one hand, it seems like a fair number of neat additions to the stock game that are sure to appeal to a large number of people. On the other hand...

I play RSS/RO/RP-0 more than stock these days, and anyways I typically prefer doing missions on my own terms than following some carefully crafted story, regardless of how well put together it might be. If it seems like the missions are A: mod-compatible, and B: really add something to the game, I'll consider picking the DLC up. The additional parts aren't really of interest to me. I build enough historical replicas as it stands.

I am interested to see how much its release will affect the community, though. Wonder if/when we'll start seeing challenges with accompanying missions.

I'll probably wait and see; overall the mission builder sounds like it could be fun, especially playing other people's missions, but on the whole I prefer charting my own course and doing my own thing.  The actual parts I'm not that interested in; don't see the point in just having historical parts instead of additional Kerbal-unique parts.  There's plenty of high quality mods recreating historical parts already so why compete with them?  Some of the new parts are also too integrated for my liking - rolling more and more functionality into a single part removes the building block aspects of KSP.

Absolutely YES.

I will always support Squad by directly purchasing addons and DLC directly from their website and never through a third party like Steam.

The dollar to time ratio of entertainment I've gotten out of this game far surpass any game that I've ever purchased. That's really saying something considering that I've been an avid gamer since 1984...

I absolutely love KSP.

22 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

I typically prefer doing missions on my own terms than following some carefully crafted story, regardless of how well put together it might be.

For a moment I was all "what the hell are you talking about?  Squad's progression is a placeholder at best!  You'll never see anything 'carefully crafted' in KSP stock".  Then I remembered the main thrust of the expansion is actually the mission creator.   Ah.  User-created missions..which definitely could be carefully crafted.

(I voted "Parts" as I've always felt the stock parts to be a bit sparse, and the pictures we've seen have implied we're getting intermediate sizes, which is great for stock AND mods)

Also...speaking of the DLC, where is it?

They were a little vague on the time of the release, it's already March 13th in many places (and less than an hour away here).

(I feel safe from the 'asking about the release date' as they've already mentioned it and I'm asking about time)

4 hours ago, TalonCG said:

Absolutely YES.

I will always support Squad by directly purchasing addons and DLC directly from their website and never through a third party like Steam.

The dollar to time ratio of entertainment I've gotten out of this game far surpass any game that I've ever purchased. That's really saying something considering that I've been an avid gamer since 1984...

I absolutely love KSP.

You don't support Squad anymore. Squad is owned by Take Two Interactive, so you are supporting them. The money that you give to Squad goes up the chain of command, and back down again, which eventually pays the KSP devs salaries.

On 3/11/2018 at 7:41 PM, Mako said:

And if you want any of that money to go towards continuing to employ the people who made everything prior to 2017, that can't happen as none of them work for Squad anymore. 

*cough cough* several of us would beg to differ...

59 minutes ago, Wilhelm Kerman said:

Not as much compared to before the T2 purchase.

We don't actually know the details of the purchase. And in any case it's more than the $0 they'll get if T2 decides they're not worth it.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I don't work for Squad or Take 2 but the last 3 companies I've worked for all bought out the company I'd worked for prior, and in each case if a significant portion of the customers had decided that they weren't going to buy the product anymore because the money wouldn't benefit the "real" people who actually did the work, I'd be out of a job.

50 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Who made the decision for T2 to buy Squad? Just the people at the top?

Edit: Ok a revelation, I just found out, according to Squad's wikipedia page that T2 purchased KSP, not the whole of Squad

Edited by Wilhelm Kerman
New info

Thanks for seeing it through, Squad "old-timers!" - it was a rough ride through some very good people coming and going, and changes in the company.  Another free update has arrived, long after some expected Squad to move on to another game, product or even industry, as huge numbers of people who were interested in this sort of game, probably have it already. Which brings us next to the MH expansion, a year-long effort that should help keep the lights on in Squad offices, and I expect will also see ongoing tweaks and updates just as the base game has - for literal years now. 

I often wished KSP had a story-driven campaign, but I think the original developers felt the open-ended contracts system had greater replay value (Once you've advanced through a story, is the game 'over?') now i'm going to have a chance to try out several in the weeks and months ahead, plus a chance to craft my own, if I feel up to the task. 

5 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Fair enough. I was wrong to say everyone from prior to 2017 has left the team, as it was only most of of everyone. I oversimplified the situation and represented it inaccurately. I edited my post and it should be more accurate.

On 3/13/2018 at 2:49 AM, Wilhelm Kerman said:

You don't support Squad anymore. Squad is owned by Take Two Interactive, so you are supporting them. The money that you give to Squad goes up the chain of command, and back down again, which eventually pays the KSP devs salaries.

I'm aware of how economics work.

I purchased it today directly from the KSP store. I was very happy to do so!

Of course!  I would buy it even if I was not interested in playing it's gated content.  KSP has given well over a thousand wonderful hours over the years, and I bought it when it was cheaper than it is now.  I am happy to kick more dollars Squad's way if it means they can make more awesome content.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.