Buran energia  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a buran?

• yes
    • no

I would like to see a buran mod for ksp that can work for rss 1.1.3 and 1.2.2 please i would like it to not be stocklike more realistic i might consider making it myself but i got a lot of learning to do in modding.  

22 hours ago, Jim123 said:

I would like to see a buran mod for ksp that can work for rss 1.1.3 and 1.2.2 please i would like it to not be stocklike more realistic i might consider making it myself but i got a lot of learning to do in modding.  

I have my own model, but there is not enough desire and experience to implement it into the game. :P

64f36e1fba0d2e888c20180305210131.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As the guy who spend 3 months putting Dream Chaser into KSP...  I've since come to the conclusion that these sorts of 'only fits together one way' builds just don't quite catch the spirit of KSP.  I had a blast modeling and solving all the problems to get it into KSP... then tuning it to actually fly in space and atmosphere... and then...  I....  couldn't figure out what to do with it.

And I think most players who downloaded it had the same reaction - "Oh cool!  I'm going to launch this and land it and then... well...  um...  I dunno what."  That's not telling you not to do it, I'm glad I did the Dreamer - but most players in KSP are here for the fun of engineering a new solution to every problem...  having a single crew service or cargo launcher isn't in their play plans.  What I'm saying is...  if you do this... do it for YOU not for others. 

And maybe...  try downloading the 2.5m space plane parts mod, or something similar... and build your own Buran out of modular parts! 

14 hours ago, artwhaley said:

As the guy who spend 3 months putting Dream Chaser into KSP...  I've since come to the conclusion that these sorts of 'only fits together one way' builds just don't quite catch the spirit of KSP.  I had a blast modeling and solving all the problems to get it into KSP... then tuning it to actually fly in space and atmosphere... and then...  I....  couldn't figure out what to do with it.

And I think most players who downloaded it had the same reaction - "Oh cool!  I'm going to launch this and land it and then... well...  um...  I dunno what."  That's not telling you not to do it, I'm glad I did the Dreamer - but most players in KSP are here for the fun of engineering a new solution to every problem...  having a single crew service or cargo launcher isn't in their play plans.  What I'm saying is...  if you do this... do it for YOU not for others. 

And maybe...  try downloading the 2.5m space plane parts mod, or something similar... and build your own Buran out of modular parts! 

I spoke with DECQ, he gave me one of his work and said that it was because of what you described, he stopped modeling for the community ... By the way, I have a fairly detailed rocket Energia but I only use it for myself, realizing that it is not needed community, unfortunately.

Edited by Alcentar

I think there definitely ARE players who use KSP like they'd use Orbiter - flying realistic craft in realistic ways.  But I think MOST players... myself included - want to play legos and put things together in unexpected ways!   So if you want more people to play your mod...  make it a toolbox for them to create with.  If you just want to create something awesome and won't mind if you only get a few hundred downloads...  then do it!   

Though... really either way...  you should mod what YOU want to play with and if others want to use it, great.  

As general advice - from what I remember-  making it as a single game model is going to be tough.  You'll want to at least separate the body, wings, nose cone, crew cabin, and engines.  This gives you some leeway to adjust how COM and COL lift.  For the Dreamer, a hack I used is making the nose piece an aerodynamic control surface... sort of an invisible canard.   It's a hacky way around KSP's simplified physics, but it does a whole lot to let you maintain pitch authority as the COM shifts in flight.

Split the body so that the fuel tank stays right around where you want the COM to live...  so you don't have to try to get it aerodynamically stable in a lot of different weight configurations.  You can concentrate some of the weight of the ship forward by making the crew cabin a little heavier than it might need to be...  thus helping with stability.

On ‎4‎.‎3‎.‎2018 at 10:55 PM, Jim123 said:

probably some minor tweaks and you're all set up.

13 hours ago, Jim123 said:

well tyler raiz tried making it work and it didn't work properly heres a link to it 

I have an unreleased Buran from @DECQ, though it's only in the game and I can not change it in Unity, it has changes compared to the version that in this video, its Buran2.0 flies well enough, in general DECQ gave me some things from my material on which I got a lot of knowledge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.