Gargamel

So 1.4 is upon us....

Recommended Posts

So there's a Forum announcement for 1.4 tonight, a Facebook post to that effect, and Steam claims to have started a download (which hasn't actually downloaded a byte yet).

Where's 1.4? :wink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

So there's a Forum announcement for 1.4 tonight, a Facebook post to that effect, and Steam claims to have started a download (which hasn't actually downloaded a byte yet).

Where's 1.4? :wink: 

Just got home from work. My Steam version appears to be halfway through the doownload right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or is something wrong with the new cockpit?

Has no Kerbal windows or IVA view.

A look at the command .cfg folder shows a Mk1-2 and a Mk1-3 entry. I think something got borked here?

EDIT: Never mind, just saw this post explaining.

 

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how long it will be before GoG has it.

I asked them and got a verbose "No Comment"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like you can change selected parts color to orange. But when I moved a ship to the launch pad, my Kerbals are not showing up in the bottom right. I was going to check out what Rocket In My Pocket mention about not seeing out the windows.

But the good part is the game did not crash yet even with the mods I have added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ty Tan Tu said:

It looks like you can change selected parts color to orange. But when I moved a ship to the launch pad, my Kerbals are not showing up in the bottom right. I was going to check out what Rocket In My Pocket mention about not seeing out the windows.

But the good part is the game did not crash yet even with the mods I have added.

Sorry, I used confusing terms there, I meant to say the Kerbals don't show up on the bottom right, the little boxes they are in is what I meant by "windows."

You can't seem to go IVA at all with "C" let alone see through the actual glass windows.

From what I read it's known and will be fixed in the 1.4.1 patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, most of the few mods I have installed are not working. This is the output from ckan.exe:

KSP Version: 1.4.0

Installed Modules:

X Chatterer 0.9.93
X DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.7.0
X FinalFrontier 1.3.6-3189
X KerbalAlarmClock v3.8.5.0
X KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.3.0
- KSPSteamCtrlr autodetected dll
X ModuleManager 3.0.4
X RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.29.3
X RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.29.3
X RCSBuildAidCont 0.9.5.1
- Steamworks autodetected dll
X Trajectories v2.0.0
X TransferWindowPlanner v1.6.2.0
- TriggerAu-Flags v2.9.2.0

Legend: -: Up to date. X: Incompatible. ^: Upgradable. ?: Unknown. *: Broken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far so good. I took a MK1-2 into a quick orbit and returned. Everything looks a bit brighter and perhaps sharper. I noticed the re-entry burn looked a bit different. I assume this all has to do with Unity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

So far so good. I took a MK1-2 into a quick orbit and returned. Everything looks a bit brighter and perhaps sharper. I noticed the re-entry burn looked a bit different. I assume this all has to do with Unity?

Yeah, changes to particle effects across the board I guess, re-entry, water, etc... It all looks much nicer imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

From what I read it's known and will be fixed in the 1.4.1 patch.

Surprised this obvious of a bug got through.  But like I said in the OP, 1.4.1 is soon to drop....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2018 at 9:54 AM, LordFerret said:

I don't know about you, but when I bought into the game (full price directly from their store, nothing 'on sale') there was a notice stating that all future game updates would be free. I bought in after their years later 'set date', so I'm in that outside group as well. Now if I'm wrong please do correct me, but I'm getting the idea that all my free future game updates aren't ... because all free future game updates will be bundled with some manner of DLC.

That being the case, if you ask me, this kinda sucks.

It's not an update. It's an addition. Let me start by saying that this is a very weaselly (any relations to ferrets?) cop out and anyone who believes that Squad—or more precise, Harvester—never intended this to be interpreted as "DLC for free" is incredibly naive or [something else].  The language back then was bold, clear and intended to be free from legal wrangling.

So yes, back in the day I interpreted it as “we will never charge for anything we add on to the game in the future, period” because there was no reason to interpret it as anything else. Those were the days you'd crash straight into the launch tower as well right after launch. But I digress.

You know how else I interpreted that promise? As incredibly stupid and short-sighted. Because no matter how brilliant the game already was back then, revenue was tied to selling new copies and new copies only. Not only do you not have to be a rocket scientist to see the problem with that, the game is sold to aspiring rocket scientists in the first place! Obviously there will be a point you've sold the game to everyone who will want to buy it. Maybe, at that point, you can squeeze a few more drops out of the revenue stream by selling non-English versions but that won't exactly be a market for aggressive expansion.

My biggest fear with the game, when I bought it many years ago, was not that Squad would break the promise to never charge for anything else, ever. My biggest fears were:

  • A soundtrack by Nickelback
  • Squad would actually keep its promise. Revenue would eventually dry up, and development on the game would understandably stop.

Does it suck they're charging for an upgrade of the game? Not for me. It indicates that if they're doing it well, I'll be enjoying many more updates and upgrades for the years to come. Spending $15 once in a while to keep that going is something I will have no problem with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

So where are al the mod updates for 1.4??? :mad:

 

 

:sticktongue: <ducks for cover, avoids thrown objects, swirves under banhammer>

Comments like this make me want to finish a bug fix on a mod in 1.3.1 BEFORE I start on 1.4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

A soundtrack by Nickelback

ok, I actually lol'd at this.

But you're absolutely right in everything else (Hey, I have no problems with NB).  I was the same way too, free for life?  Cool, but let's hope they can keep this train rolling.  A couple of my other favorite games were abandoned by their developers before they were finished (Silent Hunter 3 is very broken in it's final release, and requires multiple mods to make it playable, my avatar is from those forums/game).  I'm glad to see Squad continuing to delve on with the development of KSP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

ok, I actually lol'd at this.

But you're absolutely right in everything else (Hey, I have no problems with NB).  I was the same way too, free for life?  Cool, but let's hope they can keep this train rolling.  A couple of my other favorite games were abandoned by their developers before they were finished (Silent Hunter 3 is very broken in it's final release, and requires multiple mods to make it playable, my avatar is from those forums/game).  I'm glad to see Squad continuing to delve on with the development of KSP. 

Excuse me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Comments like this make me want to finish a bug fix on a mod in 1.3.1 BEFORE I start on 1.4

Having just started my first foray into 1.3.1 (Kinda the OP of this thread), I must say @linuxgurugamer the work you have done on some of my favorite mods, is spectacular. I was playing with old versions for 1.2, and the updates, visual and gameplay, are amazing.  So thank you for your work. 

Just now, Kerbart said:

Excuse me?

Eh, I guess you could drop the everything else.... It would be weird hearing a NB soundtrack...... but yeah.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A save I have using the Kerbal Planetary Base Systems that does give me the Kerbals in the bottom right. I can view them inside their rooms on my Minmus base, but still can not look out windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Comments like this make me want to finish a bug fix on a mod in 1.3.1 BEFORE I start on 1.4

The sad thing is that we can expect serious requests in that direction within a matter of days.

When will the 1.4 version come out
Just checking if there is a 1.4 update already
I just noticed that this mod doesn't work with 1.4, any news when that will be fixed?
It broke! Hope you fix it soon!

Some (most) are with the best intentions and indeed not meant as “hey you lazy ### hurry up” but they all seem to come over like that after a while.

Any of you modders has my appreciation and the updates will come when they are ready. Take your time, I'd rather see it fixed once than an endless stream of bug fixes (often “encouraged” by super-friendly and helpful error reports... not!), and “it'll be ready when it's ready.”

In fact, I don't want to see any updated mods before the weekend. Enjoy the evenings, watch The Batchelor or whatever you mod-freak people like to watch, and relax, and tackle some of your mods in the weekend, at your leisure! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

The sad thing is that we can expect serious requests in that direction within a matter of days.

When will the 1.4 version come out
Just checking if there is a 1.4 update already
I just noticed that this mod doesn't work with 1.4, any news when that will be fixed?
It broke! Hope you fix it soon!

 

Over the past few versions this behaviour has been stomped on, to the point that it doesn't happen that much anymore.

My comment above was mostly in jest, but I do want to finish this bug fix before starting the 1.4 work.  So it may be a couple of weeks before I get fully started on this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

My comment above was mostly in jest, but I do want to finish this bug fix before starting the 1.4 work.  So it may be a couple of weeks before I get fully started on this

With the added advantage that by then we'll be in 1.4.3 and you'll have a stable release to base the upgrades on. From what I understand there's a new Unity engine used. I cannot image that will go without any hickups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kerbart
My point was not about the DLC upgrade itself, the new content; but the fact it seems the update will be bundled with it. Does that help clarify my point?

 

@linuxgurugamer
Being I'm just a hop-skip-and-a-jump away, I'll bring coffee and donuts over if it will help expedite. :wink: j/k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

My point was not about the DLC upgrade itself, the new content; but the fact it seems the update will be bundled with it. Does that help clarify my point?

I'm pretty sure the update doesn't depend on the upgrade, i.e. everyone will get 1.4.1, but Making History requires 1.4.1 to run. That's pretty typical for games that get expansions/DLC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering why I got bombarded this morning with "Unsupported KSP version, please use X" and then I saw this. Thanks Steam for the autoupdate, I guess. The only mod showing as incompatible in my install is Mechjeb2 (though the visual mods got disabled anyway; maybe recompiling them could fix those.)

I'm a dev myself, so I know better than to ask for updated versions (and dates!)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That seemed like a very soft launch... I guess I almost missed it because I was looking past it to Making History.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless 1.4 brings significant performance improvements, I'll pass!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.