How many buttons is too many buttons? (controller)

westleyTwain

Hello there! I'm trying to set up a complicated vJoy script, but for it to work the way I need it to, I need the virtual controller to have 28 buttons and 5 axes. (28 buttons because I want a double-click to give a different output, and I want the POV hat buttons to act as buttons, not axes.) I'm using FreePIE to write a script that takes xbox 360 controller inputs and map them to the vJoy controller, but I need to know 2 things before I know this process can succeed:

A) How many buttons will KSP recognize from 1 controller, and

B) Can KSP tell the difference between an xbox 360 controller and a separate vJoy controller?

any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I have workarounds for if KSP allows fewer than 28 buttons (create a second vJoy controller to output to) and if KSP only recognizes 1 controller at a time (make 1 vJoy controller with 38 buttons, leaving the 1st 10 blank, as they are the raw 360 inputs)

EDIT 2: I have proved that KSP 1.2.2 can tell a 360 controller apart from a vJoy controller by mapping the POV hat buttons to vJoy buttons.

Edited by westleyTwain
to explain theoretical workarounds

1 hour ago, westleyTwain said:

Hello there! I'm trying to set up a complicated vJoy script, but for it to work the way I need it to, I need the virtual controller to have 28 buttons and 5 axes. (28 buttons because I want a double-click to give a different output, and I want the POV hat buttons to act as buttons, not axes.) I'm using FreePIE to write a script that takes xbox 360 controller inputs and map them to the vJoy controller, but I need to know 2 things before I know this process can succeed:

A) How many buttons will KSP recognize from 1 controller, and

B) Can KSP tell the difference between an xbox 360 controller and a separate vJoy controller?

any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I have workarounds for if KSP allows fewer than 28 buttons (create a second vJoy controller to output to) and if KSP only recognizes 1 controller at a time (make 1 vJoy controller with 28 buttons, leaving the 1st 10 blank, as they are the raw 360 inputs)

1: not sure, but I think it is more than the 28 you’ll be using because a keyboard has more than 28 keys and I don’t think KSP cares if it is a keyboard or a controller 

2: I think it can, but I don’t think it matters because I think it accepts the inputs it is given, even if it is from multiple controllers. 

Note: only have experience from KSP and an Xbox one controller alongside 2 keyboards and a touchscreen. 

Also: welcome to the forums!

Edited by 53miner53

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.