Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

1Ge9gm3zr2eYf8vGbVLV5Eci91M-IsD0bj4sIaMm

Hello everyone!

Continuing the endeavor of bringing KSP to as many people as possible, we are proud and excited to announce the release of Kerbal Space Program 1.4: Away with Words MK-2!

The game has been fully localized in 4 additional languages: French, German, Italian and Portuguese-Brazilian. Texts, keyboard layouts, UI and textures were carefully localized to keep the essence of KSP in every language, so that even more players are able to enjoy the Kerbal experience in their native tongue.

But that is not all! Kerbal Space Program 1.4: Away with Words MK-2 includes a broad range of improvements and new content for everyone to enjoy! We have upgraded the game engine to Unity 2017.1.3p1 and with that comes various performance enhancements, and an upgrade to the Engine Particle System. Improvements to the UI and quality of life upgrades have also been packed into this update.

Here are some additional highlights:

Kerbal Personal Parachutes

Kerbals with level 3 and above experience now have fully steerable personal parachutes! A cool feature that will help to get your Kerbals out of tight situations or perform aerial acrobatics, it’s all up to you!

RZnbs1hQ9Virg1ZPIxon3urnRu35gBeZBiqL2HMF

Variant Switcher

A number of parts have model and texture variations that you can switch during vessel construction.

6PtyQ3XZeCs_OG5oIt95DRbKp8EQni-UpohnEufA

These variants can also be grouped in themes to apply across a whole vessel at once!

xUoXIAcLhGufhKh1l1af5DtYEWoqgIZ3s-cxnLOs

Prioritized  Vessel Naming

With this new naming method, you can now attach naming information to command modules and vessel names will be updated based on the parts in each vessel. Now you can prename your CSM or burnback booster!

VAB - SPH editor switching

Switch between the VAB and SPH at will with this new feature!

MnvzO3LNx_NJEkCjB64KEJDAxI5YXEXv9edet4TB

New Parts!

3 brand new parts and replacements for a dozen existing parts, including the Mk 1-3 Pod! OLkz6VkFcViCkC982ZnG34pfwT9P5dML4vezDR26

To learn more you can read the full Changelog here:

=================================== v1.4.0 ============================================================
+++ Improvements
* Upgrade to Unity 2017.1.3p1
* Switch directly between VAB and SPH
* EVA Chute - Kerbals of Level 3 and above have a personal steerable chute
* Advanced Mode added to Messages App - Toggled via Settings menu.
* Added Launchsites to the Map View and Filter
* Engine Sounds updated
* Particle Engine Upgraded to Shuriken.
* VesselNaming - new method to attach naming information to command modules so you can prename portions of a vessel 

+++ Localization
* Four new languages: French, German, Italian and Portuguese-Brazilian
* Added support for Portuguese keyboard layout
* List of bugfixes
Facility names are now displayed localized in unable to launch dialogs.
Resource names now display localized in screen messages and apps.
Debug and settings menus are now fully localized.
Localized pop-up warning when transmitting experiment data from parts that become inoperable if data is transmitted.
Fixed unlocalized grammar connectors (and, or, of, etc) coming up unlocalized in Contract descriptions.
Textbox size adjusted in various UI elements to account for localized text.
Fixed long vessel names bleeding through the UI in KSC vessel marker dialog.
Overall revision of display names for parts.
Overall revision and improvement of autolocs and grammar rules.
* List of KSPedia Fixes and Improvements
Corrected a wrong key binding that was displayed in the EVA controls section.
Localized key binding UI.
Localized example images for most pages.
Properly set symbols that were showing up as HTML encoding.
Overall grammar and syntax check.
* Lingoona upgraded to v1.5.6
* TextMeshPro Updated
* Localized Debug Screen
* Fix localization of KSC vessel markers
* Fix Localization of Facility names and strings
* Fix localization on sub assembly UI.
* Fix localization on category filters.

+++ Parts
New parts:
* Round radial fuel tank (R-11 'Baguette' External Tank)
* Cylindrical radial fuel tank (R-4 'Dumpling' External Tank)
* TS-37 Stack Separator
Updated Parts (changed part files):
* 2.5m RCS Tank Reskin 
* Fairings’ texture
Replaced Parts - old parts hidden but still included for continuity of saves. They will be deprecated at a later date
* TR-2V Stack Decoupler → TD-06 Decoupler
* TR-18A Stack Decoupler → TD-12 Decoupler
* Rockomax brand decoupler → TD-25 Decoupler
* TR-38-D → TD-37 Decoupler
* TR-2C Stack Separator → TS-06 Stack Separator
* TR-18D Stack Separator → TS-12 Stack Separator
* TR-XL Stack Separator → TS-25 Stack Separator
* ROUND-8 Toroidal Fuel Tank → R-12 'Doughnut' External Tank
* Rockomax X200-8 Fuel Tank → same name
* Rockomax X200-16 Fuel Tank → same name
* Rockomax X200-32 Fuel Tank → same name
* Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank → same name
* Mk 1-2 Pod → Mk 1-3 Pod
Variants
* Parts can now have variations like textures and models
* The variants can be grouped in Themes
Other Part stuff
* Adjustments to Xenon and Monoprop capacities on stock tanks
* Parts and Vessels now have a PersistentID that lives with them for their entire life
* Add TechHidden attrib to AvailablePart so parts can be hidden from R&D

+++ Bugfixes
* Fix alignment of external scenery in VAB/SPH scenes.
* Fix runway not appearing outside the SPH doors when inside the SPH.
* Fix a bug in Warp to Next Morning
* Add guard clauses to detect invalid flightstate on vessel launch returning to the editor.
* Fix applicant hiring costs appearing in games that don’t have funding enabled.
* Improve vessel Jumping/positioning coming off rails.
* Fix asteroid seed causing them to change shape.

+++ Mods
* Make dragpanel edge offset configurable
* GameEvents added: onKerbalAddComplete, onKerbalNameChanged, onKerbalTypeChanged, onKerbalStatusChanged, onVesselPersistentIdChanged, onPartPersistentIdChanged, OnGameSettingsWritten, OnScenerySettingChanged, OnExpansionSystemLoaded, onPartUndockComplete, onPartCoupleComplete, onPartDeCouple, onPartDeCoupleComplete, onVesselDocking, onDockingComplete, onPartVesselNamingChanged, afterFlagPlanted, OnPQSCityOrientated, onEditorVesselNamingChanged, onEditorVariantApplied, onVesselRecoveryProcessingComplete.
* DictionaryValuesList updated to expose the list as well as the dictionary

We are excited for the 1.4 release and look forward to the launch of the Making History Expansion next week. For our mod creators, please note an additional update 1.4.1 will come alongside that release and will need to be integrated as well. The modding community is very important to the Kerbal Space Program team, and we continue to encourage and enable mods for KSP moving forward.

Kerbal Space Program 1.4: Away with Words MK-II  is now available on Steam and will soon be available on GOG and other third party resellers. You will also be able to download it from the KSP Store if you already own the game.

As with every release this thread will be used to bundle all general discussion about the new version so that the forums can continue to actively host threads on other topics as well. CLICK HERE for the official release announcement for Kerbal Space Program 1.4: Away with Words MK-II.

Happy launchings!

Ooooooooh, this has me excited!  The parachutes have been a long-desired feature, particularly for minimalist escape-pod reentry vehicles (ablator and tiny engine to get down to lower atmosphere, then the Kerbal pulls their suit-chute!)  The part color theming is really nice, and I look forward to seeing how people can make more striking looking craft now.  The pre-naming as well will get rid of an annoyance I have where parts never auto-name or set their icons right until I manually correct them after detaching.  

All in all, a most quality update to look forward to playing!

Cool.

Downloading now!

4 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

With this new naming method, you can now attach naming information to command modules and vessel names will be updated based on the parts in each vessel. Now you can prename your CSM or burnback booster

And one of my mods has been obsoleted (PDPN)

OMG texture swapping and vessel naming and DOWNLOADING NOW NOW NOW.

I'm so glad I don't give a whiff about the EULA changes.

2 minutes ago, metl said:

Nooooo!!!! Steam is being cantankerous and refusing to download the update! Why? Why me? I wants to see the new shiny so bads!

It took me 3-4 tries before it worked. Keep trying!

Everyone sign that EULA?  Good!  Now have fun!

5 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

We have upgraded the game engine to Unity 2017.1.3p1 and with that comes various bugs, and an upgrade to the Engine Particle System.

Neat!

I will like this!

The modding community is very important to the Kerbal Space Program team, and we continue to encourage and enable mods for KSP moving forward.

This statement would have been good in another thread I can think of!

For our mod creators, please note an additional update 1.4.1 will come alongside that release and will need to be integrated as well.

Will every DLC release come with a hotfix that breaks mods?

Edited by klgraham1013

I have a question about the part variant switcher: Can it only switch part models and textures, or also other aspects of parts? If the second is true, then this addition might have just obsoleted all of the various fuel switcher/part switcher mods.

Edited by Zuthal

As nice as this update is, it’s breaking quite a lot. Old flags are experiencing issues, and saves/craft files are broken as they don’t use the old fuel tanks. This was an update I was actually eager for but I’ve been playing too long to see several of my best saves just crumble to dust because T2 entered the picture.

Sorry, but it’s 1.3.1 for me. Unless T2 wants to be fair to those of us who have been upgrading saves since .21. 

Very shiny and new. But internally, all of my old tools and friends are dead.

Good news! The new textures are definitely better than the old ones and the French translation looks good (I spotted a typo during the initial loading screen: "Chargement des extensions terminée" should be "Chargement des extensions terminé", "chargement" is masculine so "terminé" doesn't take an additional "e") even though it is a bit strange to see every single engineering term translated to French (especially when excessive Francisation of new words is often made fun of).

As for mods, reading the changelog, it looks like three things would affect mods: the change to a new particle engine, the texture switcher and the update to Unity 2017. I expect the first one to break mods that change particle effect (Real Plume for example) and the second one to break alternative texture switching solutions we already have in mods (Color Coded Canisters), but I'm not sure about the Unity update; will it break everything or will we be fine? (Pinging @RoverDude and @linuxgurugamer because they know their stuff)

Edited by Gaarst