Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

1 minute ago, klgraham1013 said:

The command pod is still in Early Access.

and the refuelling hoses

and the DV calculator

and some simple ejection angle indicator

life support? nah.. they are green,  photosynthesis.

5 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

For our mod creators, please note an additional update 1.4.1 will come alongside that release and will need to be integrated as well. The modding community is very important to the Kerbal Space Program team, and we continue to encourage and enable mods for KSP moving forward.

Elaborate, please.  Will mods that work for 1.4 need anything to be done for 1.4.1?

Interesting...

There are quite a few small bugs here and there though... but overall there are some very nice quality of life additions like the KSC marker on mapview and the switch to VAB/SPH button

the truly painful process is to wait for mods to update... ;.;

This is amazing, the updated unity engine alone is amazing for modders in the community

The modding community is very important to the Kerbal Space Program team, and we continue to encourage and enable mods for KSP moving forward.

We are going to hold you to that as well. Lets see how this DLC rolls out and the hot fixes shortly after. 

This update contains a varied amount of additions and changes which is always welcoming, I hope you keep a consistent release rollover like you have today because this is great.

Parachutes are fun, it should have a toggle on the options when choosing difficultly to either start with parachutes or none till upgraded as it removes any threat of losing herbals. 

While I keep refreshing CKAN repository for updated mods, I do want to note that commitment to the modding scene will be vital in the longevity of this game.

For our mod creators, please note an additional update 1.4.1 will come alongside that release and will need to be integrated as well. 

This update is fantastic so far, I hope the DLC will bring as much stability (on newly generated worlds as old ones are a bit incompatible) to my kerbals as this did.

MK2-IVA-plz-fix

Not bad so far! The new parts are pretty, the new sounds are excellent, and it looks like rebuilding my go-to recoverable launcher (3-pax anywhere inside the Kerbin system) gained me an extra 400m/s of dV just by going to new parts. I like it.

I don't use many mods...KER works (but complains about version); so does StageRecovery. FMRS loads and seems to work but I haven't tried to use it specifically. KAC and Transfer Window Planner are broken.

So far so happy!

37 minutes ago, JamesL86 said:

It seems that the new command pod does not have an IVA.  :(

Yep, discovered this one late in the game - it will be fixed with 1.4.1 (it's already there, just did not make it into the release today).

32 minutes ago, Zuthal said:

I have a question about the part variant switcher: Can it only switch part models and textures, or also other aspects of parts? If the second is true, then this addition might have just obsoleted all of the various fuel switcher/part switcher mods.

Model, Texture, Node positions.

25 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

As nice as this update is, it’s breaking quite a lot. Old flags are experiencing issues, and saves/craft files are broken as they don’t use the old fuel tanks. This was an update I was actually eager for but I’ve been playing too long to see several of my best saves just crumble to dust because T2 entered the picture.

Sorry, but it’s 1.3.1 for me. Unless T2 wants to be fair to those of us who have been upgrading saves since .21. 

Very shiny and new. But internally, all of my old tools and friends are dead.

Have not heard anything RE Flags.  And if you have the old parts, your vessels will not break - they were left in place (but hidden) for backwards compatibility.  If you have an old vessel or subassembly that uses the old parts, they will still be there.  

24 minutes ago, fourfa said:

R-11 'Baguette' holds 24 LF and weighs 0.3038t, but R-4 'Dumpling' holds 10 LF and weighs 0.4475t?

hmm... I will take a look, a patch may not have made it in.

6 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

iLkaqqw.jpg

So.. When can we expect the IVA and EVA for the new pod? Is there another way to get them out other than clicking on their portrait? Thanks.

Fire

Hover over the hatch for now - we're aware, will be sorted for 1.4.1

1 minute ago, Triskilion said:

Is it not correct that the 1-2 pod still exists in the game? When I loaded in the Kerbal X to try it out, it had the old pod, not the new one.

I think old saved craft (such as the Kerbal X) use the old version of the part, for all the replaced parts. The old version is hidden, not deleted.

Just now, Nertea said:

Are there any... heat system fixes? :(

I expect some of the heat issues (and we sorted stock drills based on this) were related to 1.3 changes.  Check your configs for two things:

1.  Make sure your Max Coolant is equal to your Required Coolant.  Heat overruns due to engineers cranking converters faster was deprecated, so the extra buffer is no longer needed... but does cause a bit of havoc with heat allocation.

2.  Make your radiatorHeatingFactor values consistent across parts.  Could not get any code changes in, but making this value have parity also sorts issues with radiators over/under allocating.

2 minutes ago, Triskilion said:

Is it not correct that the 1-2 pod still exists in the game? When I loaded in the Kerbal X to try it out, it had the old pod, not the new one.

Also, for me at least, keyboard shortcuts such as "x" for symmetry don't work.

It exists for legacy craft so as not to break craft files.  You can't see it in the toolbox, but it is still there to be loaded.

Okay so most of this is pretty nice but I have a couple comments.

6 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

Replaced Parts - old parts hidden but still included for continuity of saves. They will be deprecated at a later date

Does that mean that any crafts currently using these parts are still safe right now but must have the parts replaced or the save file will not be able to go forward when said "later date" comes?

6 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

* Engine Sounds updated

No. Literally the very first change I noticed after updating the game is that jet engines now sound absolutely horrendous. My ears are begging you, please change it back for the love of all that is holy.

7 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

I expect some of the heat issues (and we sorted stock drills based on this) were related to 1.3 changes.  Check your configs for two things:

If there were no code changes and I was able to repro with stock and touching nothing, I guess nothing was changed. I mean, I'll check it all again but eh.

Edited by Nertea