Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

Also different effects for EVA jetpack, new splashdown effects...  But how do you activate the personal chute?

(still on my first flight! didn't get screencaps yet)

Edited by fourfa

Oh boy, now I get to wait for all my mods to update! :P

Seriously, though, the update looks really neat. I'll probably wait for 1.4.1 at least, but a lot of these changes (especially removing the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned Rockomax decoupler/Mk 1-2 pod) were a long time coming. It's good to see them finally arrive.

On a completely different note, it would appear that the stable release of RO is once again 2 major updates behind stock. Good thing I didn't feel like updating my install.

5 minutes ago, Nertea said:

If there were no code changes and I was able to repro with stock and touching nothing, I guess nothing was changed. I mean, I'll check it all again but eh.

Except stock configs did change - because we found an issue with the configs.  Hence why I explained those changes to you, as they are likely very relevant.

6 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

We have upgraded the game engine to Unity 2017.1.3p1

Fantastic news.

I will be interested in taking this for a spin.

Looking at the change notes, there is tons of new stuff to try out too.

Time to fire up the compiler and follow the dev threads / github updates.

Congrats on the release and thanks for all the hard work.

Bravo!

Anything on Vulkan Api support or did you all just build it with it off? If you did build it with the support on what is the force command for it? I know unity 2017.1.3p1 should have it fully supported 

Please and thank you! 

Always fun to start a new save when the update drops. And always a good refresher for eye-balling launcher and spacecraft design (no KER or MJ), mission planning (no help with planning or flying maneuver nodes), and rendezvous, docking and proximity ops.  :) 

32 minutes ago, Ace in Space said:

No. Literally the very first change I noticed after updating the game is that jet engines now sound absolutely horrendous. My ears are begging you, please change it back for the love of all that is holy.

They lack a bit of bang, but I don't think they're bad at all.

Especially the vacum engines sound great. The SRB's and atmo engines are a bit more iffy, like I said they need more bang. But they're not bad at all.

Edit: Do you know video editing? If so, we can make a comparison video. I'll provide the footage.

Edited by A_name

6 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

The modding community is very important to the Kerbal Space Program team, and we continue to encourage and enable mods for KSP moving forward.

also this gives me hope for KSP. knowing the stuff that has been happening recently

1 minute ago, LameLefty said:

Always fun to start a new save when the update drops. And always a good refresher for eye-balling launcher and spacecraft design (no KER or MJ), mission planning (no help with planning or flying maneuver nodes), and rendezvous, docking and proximity ops.  :) 

Agreed :) 

Apparently the change to the particle effects also changed the aerodynamic effects. Somebody posted some screenies further up. As you can see, they look AMAZING! My only complaint is that they shift around too much when zooming in and out. It breaks the immersion.

7 minutes ago, Triskilion said:

I must admit the design wasn't very good. I guess I just said that for pure nostalgia. :) 

I hear you dude.

Edited by A_name

17 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Except stock configs did change - because we found an issue with the configs.  Hence why I explained those changes to you, as they are likely very relevant.

Good to know. I wasn't clear on your wording - I'll go and investigate these extra changes.

10 minutes ago, Jeb12345 said:

Cool. just wondering, those new features (part texture changing, personal parachute) from mods like procedural parts and whatever the other one is or re they original? 

These are all original code.  And pretty sweet, too :)

That new parachute, btw, gives hope for steerable parachutes for vessels, doesn't it? GOD that thing is a hoot. Jeb has already found a taste for swooping around the KSC on a parachute. :D

Next step: BASE jumping!

*runs Jeb to the top of the VAB*

Edited by MaverickSawyer

6 minutes ago, Triskilion said:

Also, great job and the parachute effects! Not just personal parachutes, but also normal parachutes. I can't describe it perfectly, but it seems to detail the releasement much better. 

The parachute strings no longer funk up the background.

15 minutes ago, A_name said:

but I don't think they're bad at all.

The new rockets are fine, I just can't stand the new jets. They sound like a dialup modem being murdered and made me want to land my plane ASAP just to not have to hear it anymore. But maybe it's just me. Or maybe it's just the particular jet I was using. I haven't tested to see if different jet engines sound different.