Kerbal Space Program update 1.4 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

After doing a test run and checking the sound of the Panther turbojet these are my thoughts:

The sound of the engine (RPM wise) is very good, but the sound should increase more in pitch at full thrust.

It lacks the sound of the afterburner, this is very important, why is there no sound for it?

(for me, at least, as an aeroespace student with some real world experience).

@RoverDude

Dear Squad,

1 hour ago, Ace in Space said:

No. Literally the very first change I noticed after updating the game is that jet engines now sound absolutely horrendous. My ears are begging you, please change it back for the love of all that is holy.

51 minutes ago, fourfa said:

The Panther "my first toy jet" sound is a non-starter.  Go directly to the trash plz.

<separate post>

It's like a deaf person created a jet engine sound from a written description of a jet engine sound

34 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

They are a little... Uh... I don't know what those sounds are.

32 minutes ago, fourfa said:

I rate the Juno, Wheesely, Goliath, and RAPIER just fine.  Whiplash and Panther - no thank you.

20 minutes ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Oh god the jet engine sounds....

19 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

For Panther and Whiplash: seriously? You couldn’t stick to the sounds we had? They sound like (for lack of a better term) a vacuum cleaner to me.

Nobody likes the new Panther/Whiplash sounds.

Sincerely, Ace.

2 minutes ago, Gyrfalcon5 said:

What is the deal with that new tab in the extensions menu in the VAB/SPH? It doesn't seem to change anything and it also looks to be missing some localization...

It's the themes tab - clicking on one of the themes in there changes associated parts (all at the same time) to a given color. It's very poorly thought out, IMO, that's most definitely not where such a menu should be. Whoever thought that through (and didn't mouse over it even once before release) should be slapped with a fish. :confused: But that's just my $0.02.

1 minute ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

It's the themes tab - clicking on one of the themes in there changes associated parts (all at the same time) to a given color. It's very poorly thought out, IMO, that's most definitely not where such a menu should be. Whoever thought that through (and didn't mouse over it even once before release) should be slapped with a fish. :confused: But that's just my $0.02.

Welp, this is what happens when you give something to TakeTwo. :/

2 minutes ago, Gyrfalcon5 said:

Welp, this is what happens when you give something to TakeTwo. :/

To be clear, I think the IDEA is really quite good  - being able to group parts into a theme and define which texture (or whatever) to use with that theme - but how it actually works in the editor gives me a sad.

EDIT: Also, thank you to the kind soul, whoever you are, that finally realized that parts in the editor should be given titles that result in similar parts being placed with each other (and in size order) in the parts list. 

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

So, after careful consideration, some of the high power rocket engines are too quiet. I think irl an RS-25 would drown out a 747’s engines, but the Goliath is much louder than the KS-25... and something feels off about the Goliath’s sound. It seems too high pitched based on the KC-10s that fly over my house sometimes.

Ok so I've been playing around with this update some more and I immediately found some bugs:

1. There is a graphical bug with the parts selection menu in the VAB, something appears to be covering the top row of parts and makes them look glitchy

2. Music is silent in the Mission Control building

I noticed these in less than 2 minutes after starting a new career mode game. Are you guys planning to release a follow-up to patch some of the bugs in this release? Also, I am playing on Linux, so that might be a contributing factor...

I'm afraid I have to agree on the sounds regard.  I do like the new engine sound with the Juno, however the new sounds really don't convey a sense of "power" as the thrust would of a Whiplash or an afterburning fighter engine running at full throttle.  Further, the transition of the Panther between Dry and Wet modes sounds like one engine is spooling down while an entirely different engine is spooling up.  If anything, bring back the sudden onset of the "Roar!" that kicked in when the afterburner engaged.  To a lessor extent, the Rapier transitions between modes are a little rough too, but at least that engine has a hint of the roar.

I'm not talking about volume, because that could be fixed with a slider in the Settings.  The more powerful turbine engines lack that unmistakable, deep-throated bass to the sound.  Obviously you can't implement audio that shakes someone's chest with a computer game because that would have health implications :P (not to mention hardware limitations), but the previous sounds conveyed the effect of "raw power" fighting gravity and drag during takeoff.

Really liking the texture switching, the new gold mylar foil tanks, and the smooth transitions between VAB and SPH.  I keep backing out of the VAB and going to the SPH manually though (or vice versa)...haven't re-wired my brain yet. :D

EDIT: The sounds of some of the rocket engines seem to also be lacking in the "Powah" department.  The Mammoth seems to have the raw roar effect, but other similarly powerful rocket engines like the Vector or Rhino are quite quiet for their size and thrust.  Even the LV-T30 and LV-T45 seem somewhat muffled.

Edited by Raptor9

1 hour ago, Third_OfFive said:

2. Music is silent in the Mission Control building

It's not just Mission Control. It's also Administration, R&D, and the Astronaut Complex. And sometimes I hear a snippet of the music when I'm leaving the building. I have submitted a bug report.

While we're on the topic of bugs, is it just me or are the icons in Administration lower resolution now?

7 minutes ago, tater said:

Can find a place to report bugs. In the VAB, the top row of icons are cut off on the Mac:

I just put mine on the Technical Support forums. But yeah, I see the same problem on Windows 8, only for me it's the left half of the left column rather than the top half of the top row.

Edited by Ace in Space

1 minute ago, Ace in Space said:

It's not just Mission Control. It's also Administration, R&D, and the Astronaut Complex. And sometimes I hear a snippet of the music when I'm leaving the building. I have submitted a bug report.

While we're on the topic of bugs, is it just me or are the icons in Administration lower resolution now?

I just put mine on the Technical Support forums. But yeah, I see the same problem on Windows 8, only for me it's the left half of the left column rather than the top half of the top row.

Yeah I know what you mean with the snippet of audio as you leave. I got that exact same issue, I just didn't know how to describe it.

I didn't check the other buildings, I only went to the VAB and then mission control, then I got liquided off and went straight to this thread to complain.

So this wasn't just a problem with my computer; this was actually just pure incompetence on the part of Take Two. 

In fact, how much money do you want to bet that they rushed the 1.4 release so that they could force people to agree to the EULA before the new DLC came out?

Just when I thought I couldn't get more liquided off today...

13 minutes ago, tater said:

Can find a place to report bugs. In the VAB, the top row of icons are cut off on the Mac:

iY3mkNs.png

I get this exact same thing on linux too.

Does anyone else find some of the new special effects glitchy or just plain bad looking?

For example, when I use some of the SRBs, I get these kind of circular flashes/strobing of light that seems really glitchy. The re-entry fire effects also seem super jagged (looks like a hand drawn Christmas tree to be honest), and the splash down effect seems really fuzzy and ugly.

1 minute ago, MechBFP said:

Does anyone else find some of the new special effects glitchy or just plain bad looking?

For example, when I use some of the SRBs, I get these kind of circular flashes/strobing of light that seems really glitchy. The re-entry fire effects also seem super jagged (looks like a hand drawn Christmas tree to be honest), and the splash down effect seems really fuzzy and ugly.

The reentry effects are the one thing in this update that actually look good in my opinion, but yeah other than that I agree with you.

7 minutes ago, Third_OfFive said:

In fact, how much money do you want to bet that they rushed the 1.4 release so that they could force people to agree to the EULA before the new DLC came out?

Yes because Squad (and every other developer) has never had to release multiple versions after a big update to fix little bugs.

:rolleyes:

@RoverDude With the new decouplers/seperators, is there any chance we could get their colliders tweaked a bit for 1.4.1/MH (also the new 5m decoupler if it shares the same collider). In this picture you can see the 3.75m version of the decoupler/seperator on the left with it's collider, and the 1.25m on the far right. In the middle are two 1.25m parts (structural fuselage and doughnut tank) showing example colliders. It would be extremely helpful for advanced building techniques if we could get the decoupler/seperator colliders to be tweaked to do something more in-line with how the fuselage or doughnut's collders are. (Basically so the collider hugs the inside shape of the ring instead of only having the hollow square in the middle) This would, among other uses, allow for using them for portals to docking bays and so forth for orbital stations.

6DH5bCv.jpg

Much appreciated! <3